• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still about the qualified grade... TOS #39 CGC 2.5 (Q)

9 posts in this topic

Staples cleaned would seem to be more of a resto notation than a qualifying one. Perhaps because it's a key book and the green label won't devalue as much as a purple one. But, that's from the submitters viewpoint, not sure why CGC would agree.

w84 CGC TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 (Origin Iron Man) 2.5 G+

Is it due to the cleaned staples ? confused.gif

The notion of qualified grade is still not really clear in my mind...

I thought it was for high grade books with a big flaw...

I think that first app issues carry a lot of weight, and it IS Jerry Weist's book from "The Hidden Valley" collection (whatever the hello that means insane.gif) Personally, I feel that staple cleaning is preservation, not restoration. The notation, "with staples cleaned, 2 small pieces of tape on interior cover, 1 small piece of tape on 1st wrap of centerfold" does seem to implicate 3 separate issues, and it's definitely a low grade copy.

In fact, this is the lowest grade Green Label I've seen (although I really don't scout the topic). Again, I have to emphasize that there are always exceptions to general rules, and this clearly is an exception. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yup - i've always been confused by the green label, but never moreso than now..... confused.gif

What exactly is confusing you guys about this? All books with cleaned staples get green labels if CGC can detect the fact that staples have been cleaned. It's treated differently than the missing MVS/missing coupon thing where they won't give it a green label below 3.5. It's almost like "restoration-lite," where it gets the green label so that they can notate the cleaning/replacement of the staples.

I think it has something to do with the way that replaced staples are treated in the Overstreet Grading Guide (i.e., as not being restoration). Since under the OGG, any staple can be replaced up to the grade of Fine (and "vintage" staples can be used for replacement up to the 9.4 grade), I think that CGC did not want to use the purple "restored" label in a manner that would be inconsistent with the OGG - so they use the green label instead, at every level.