• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Certificate

24 posts in this topic

I don't buy much raw pedigree and my knowledge is limited. But when I do purchase, for example, a Savannah, Western Penn, or Suscha... I have always received the cert. with the book. Has anyone ever not received it? My assumption is that without it (or any distinguishing characteristics) there would be no proof of that provenance when you sub to CGC or sell raw thereafter.

Thanks,

I never rec'd a "certificate" when I bought a few Boston's years ago. It was noted on my invoice.

That information was good enough for CGC when I had them graded.

That's something I've wondered about. I bought a book from Metropolis that was advertised as a Northford copy but it didn't come with any kind of certificate and does not have the circle x on the back, have wondered if it is really Northford and if CGC would recognize it as such since it doesn't have the signature marking of the pedigree.

That's something I've wondered about. I bought a book from Metropolis that was advertised as a Northford copy but it didn't come with any kind of certificate and does not have the circle x on the back, have wondered if it is really Northford and if CGC would recognize it as such since it doesn't have the signature marking of the pedigree.

It has worked for me to send in the Metro listing and invoice for a Northford I bought from them. Western Penns too from a HA auction.

I don't think that CGC puts as much effort as they used to in researching the integrity of a submitted pedigree. Now that Mark Haspel is back, maybe it's changed. Back in the day, Mark would review every submitted Pedigree.

That's rather odd how skinny some of the evidence is for some of these books.

CGC has a master list of all books in each pedigree - any book that's sent in without a certificate gets checked against the list.

I bought a raw copy of a curator that I got a certificate with and I sent it in to CGC and it came back without a pedigree so either I got duped or they screwed up. the only reason I had it graded was because I wanted a graded pedigree in my collection and i knew it was high grade white pages.

I bought a raw copy of a curator that I got a certificate with and I sent it in to CGC and it came back without a pedigree so either I got duped or they screwed up. the only reason I had it graded was because I wanted a graded pedigree in my collection and i knew it was high grade white pages.

Did you call them? What did they say? Did you have a copy of the receipt? Did you buy it at a show, a website, eBay? (no need to name exactly who).

I know if I had submitted a Curator and it didn't come back with the designation, I'd want to know what happened.

Did you put it on the CGC submission form?

Did you call them? What did they say? Did you have a copy of the receipt? Did you buy it at a show, a website, eBay? (no need to name exactly who).

I know if I had submitted a Curator and it didn't come back with the designation, I'd want to know what happened.

or was it a Curator from 1985? I don't think they label non-key, modern books.

That's rather odd how skinny some of the evidence is for some of these books.

CGC has a master list of all books in each pedigree - any book that's sent in without a certificate gets checked against the list.

That's good. I've seen some threads in the "age" forums talking about people who put together these pedigree lists. Hopefully they are all accurate and other copies don't simply get added.

I bought it like 2 or 3 years back ish from a ebay seller who at the time had 100% feedback and was a high volume seller. i filled it out on the form and sent in my certificate.

or was it a Curator from 1985? I don't think they label non-key, modern books.

It was a X-Men #244 first Jubilee. as fr as X-men go after '85 id say its the second biggest key other then #266 first gambit. but i guess key is in the eye of the beholder haha. I should still have all the info in old emails and on ebay because I could have gotten a copy of that book and been fine without sending it in but the sole reason I bought that specific book was to have a first appearance pedigree X-men. I mean I know where its from and that I believe its a curator but it would be nice for the holder to say it.

CGC does not record pedigree on any book after 1985 (key or not).

I disagree with this stance as a pedigree is the entire collection not an elite stance against copper and early modern books in that collection one feels may sully the prestige of pedigrees. Unfortunately a large amount of Savannah books fall into this range and one day I would love to see my X-men V2 1-11 run encapuled with the pedigree noted.

though I am not holding my breath their stance will change.