• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM The Strain 1

8 posts in this topic

This book is apparently hot and I'm still very unfamiliar with the high grades.

What do you think?

There is fraying at the bottom left corner.

Couple spine ticks including one that breaks color.

I'm thinking 9.4 or 9.6, but I'm not sure.

Strain1a_zps6800c6cb.jpeg

Strain1b_zps24eba1ef.jpeg

The crease that breaks color about 1/2 in below top staple?

The fraying at the bottom is a bindery cut. It's hard to tell with your scans they get blurry for me when zoom in.

Bindery cuts I haven't got down graded on them before. I have had several 9.8 with bindery cuts.

I'm only going off what you said for grade. Like said hard to tell with the scans for me

9.4 IMHO! The bindery tear on the bottom corner will not effect the grade even at 9.8. The CB spine tic is what in my opinion keeps me from grading this higher.

When I review a spine that has spine tics I almost immediately eliminate the possibility of 9.8 especially if it is colour breaking. If the spine tics are minute and non CB and there are not more than three and there are no other signs of defects then I would award a 9.8 grade. That is just my opinion.

In the Overstreet CBGG they have a chart that shows the suggested number of maximum/minimum allowable defects per grade. It's not 100% accurate in my opinion and they do note that it is "suggested" but it is a great rule of thumb.

6DQxZt5.jpg

9.4 IMHO! The bindery tear on the bottom corner will not effect the grade even at 9.8. The CB spine tic is what in my opinion keeps me from grading this higher.

When I review a spine that has spine tics I almost immediately eliminate the possibility of 9.8 especially if it is colour breaking. If the spine tics are minute and non CB and there are not more than three and there are no other signs of defects then I would award a 9.8 grade. That is just my opinion.

In the Overstreet CBGG they have a chart that shows the suggested number of maximum/minimum allowable defects per grade. It's not 100% accurate in my opinion and they do note that it is "suggested" but it is a great rule of thumb.

6DQxZt5.jpg

pulling out the chart tim ! love it !