• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales / Strange Anomaly?

24 posts in this topic

So in the CLink auction that's drawing to a close, Strange Tales 178 CGC 9.8 sold for $1400 and just as surprisingly to me, 169 CGC 9.8 sold for $766. Last GPA sale of a 9.8 #178 was for $425 in August of 2013, and for the last recorded 9.8 #169, it's $405 in April of 2013.

Just a couple of crazy bidders? I mean, I haven't seen anything to suggest such a jump in demand.

It's got me seriously thinking about selling my own 9.8 #178. I'd hate to part with it, but I figure there must be at least 50 Rules of Acquisition that would apply here.

The 169

The 178

So in the CLink auction that's drawing to a close, Strange Tales 178 CGC 9.8 sold for $1400 and just as surprisingly to me, 169 CGC 9.8 sold for $766. Last GPA sale of a 9.8 #178 was for $425 in August of 2013, and for the last recorded 9.8 #169, it's $405 in April of 2013.

Just a couple of crazy bidders? I mean, I haven't seen anything to suggest such a jump in demand.

It's got me seriously thinking about selling my own 9.8 #178. I'd hate to part with it, but I figure there must be at least 50 Rules of Acquisition that would apply here.

The 169

The 178

Warlock speculation has gotten nuts over the past year, as much as people hate it - I'd suspect that might have to do with the jump. Starlin's stuff is also gaining some steam, too - plus, his writing on that ST run really holds up. Maybe people are taking more notice of it now that there's some cosmic hotness.

Warlock speculation has gotten nuts over the past year, as much as people hate it - I'd suspect that might have to do with the jump. Starlin's stuff is also gaining some steam, too - plus, his writing on that ST run really holds up. Maybe people are taking more notice of it now that there's some cosmic hotness.

If GOTG movie is a success, this definitely opens up to speculation of cosmic Marvel Universe characters.

But Brother Voodoo? Anyone think its just one of those one-off crazy winning bids?

I don’t even recall which issue is precisely #178 in the run – glad I picked them up some twenty years ago… :D

178 kicks off the run and is, I think, a classic Starlin cover.

I went ahead and put my 178 on CLink's marketplace to see if I'd get any bites, but none so far. It's got off white pages, so who knows.

If GOTG movie is a success, there is definately opens up to speculation of cosmic Marvel Universe characters.

But Brother Voodoo? Anyone thing its just one of those one-off crazy winning bids?

Brother Voodoo, I don't know on that one. I mean, it's when the Strange Tale run restarts after Doctor Strange branched off. Someone in the bronze age forum here talked about raw copies of 169 going for good dollars on ebay (in the heating up on ebay thread, I imagine). There's been some (unfounded as far as I know) speculation about Brother V popping up in the Marvel cineverse or televerse, but again, seems to be sheer fan speculation. I like the character, but it's not like he's even a B lister.

Brother Voodoo has always been a great "minor" character.

Appreciation of the books should come on the qualities of their content – as long as it looks to be this kind of "through the roof prices" speculation it is clearly driven by market bubbles, related to these movies, have little to do with the books themselves and honestly I find it a lot more upsetting than exciting. :(

...this kind of "through the roof prices" speculation it is clearly driven by market bubbles, related to these movies, have little to do with the books themselves and honestly I find it a lot more upsetting than exciting. :(

I agree. I love me some Brother Voodoo, regardless if he's considering more of a C list character. I picked up my 169 about a year ago. So I'm not worried about the bubble myself. But it's maddening for a collector, looking to simply add to his collection, to buy 1st apps

Its like dodging a minefield nowadays hoping that the price of those books, that you are looking to add to your collection, don't explode due to movie speculation. I hate it as I dont look to flip.

For example it's tough enough saving funds for my grail (a high grade FF#52), but with this movie speculation... :facepalm:

Lets just say it gives me plenty of time to search for tough-to-find books Im looking to acquire. I refuse to overpay these inflated prices. Only fear is that it wont come down to previous levels, which were high enough as is.

...this kind of "through the roof prices" speculation it is clearly driven by market bubbles, related to these movies, have little to do with the books themselves and honestly I find it a lot more upsetting than exciting. :(

I agree. I love me some Brother Voodoo, regardless if he's considering more of a C list character. I picked up my 169 about a year ago. So I'm not worried about the bubble myself. But it's maddening for a collector, looking to simply add to his collection, to buy 1st apps

Its like dodging a minefield nowadays hoping that the price of those books, that you are looking to add to your collection, don't explode due to movie speculation. I hate it as I dont look to flip.

For example it's tough enough saving funds for my grail (a high grade FF#52), but with this movie speculation... :facepalm:

Lets just say it gives me plenty of time to search for tough-to-find books Im looking to acquire. I refuse to overpay these inflated prices. Only fear is that it wont come down to previous levels which high enough as is.

Funny you mention this as I just said this over on another thread in Comic General. I agree that the current speculation frenzy that has overtaken this hobby in the past few years is very disturbing. In my 35+ years of experience one constant has been prices go up and rarely come down, even when the demand has disappeared. I'm just glad most of what I collect is not the current target of speculators. I would serious consider quitting if everything I collected kept getting priced out of my range. :(

Brother Voodoo could be one of those break out characters with the right writer. Especially with the whole Zombie genre, this book could be all occult and a great dark book that I would be all over myself personally. He reminds me of one of those Ripley believe it or not comics from the 60's.

The 169

The 178

CL's sales data is completely unreliable, :sumo:

I think 169 is just damn near impossible to find in super HG only 5 9.8s exist. I felt like I was one of a 2 horse race bidding on the 169 I went pretty high I felt whoever I was bidding against was willing to go as much as it took, I dropped out @1800.

Yeah brother voodoo is a c lister or maybe lower. But on the other hand if Marvel keeps on turning out movies they will eventually get to those C listers

Higher grade ST 169's have been taking off for a while of late

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-169-NEAR-MINT-NM-9-4-1st-app-Brother-Voodoo-Check-our-comics-/381075665876?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58b9e133d4

1st appearances of every Marvel black character have been going up, speculation of who else will end up in the Black Panther movie I guess

I would find it difficult to believe people are buying speculation books based on the race of character. And just because they are a certain race in the comic doesn't mean it will be that way in a movie if the character even appears.

A swedish Brother Voodoo would be even more unlikely than most of the absurdities Marvel made in the last ten years, but Marvel knows no boundaries. :eyeroll: