• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st significant mail order transaction.

49 posts in this topic

I bought a number of books from Mile High in around '82-'83, one of which was an X-Men 142 in nm condition (exept for the hole that went through the entire book). I'm sure Mile Highs grading has gotten better over the years...............

:D Har, har, har

The event that made me realise I had become serious about comic collecting was the first time I was prepared to pay well above cover price for comic books by ordering them from a mail order catalogue. There was no LCS here at the time, and I wasn't yet aware that marts were being held nearby in Manchester.

The first mail order dealer I bought from, summer 1977, was Fantasy Unlimited, based somewhere in the London area. Being completely unaware of secondary market grading definitions, I had the usual beginner's shock of receiving a comic (FF 20, in my case), supposedly in 'very good' condition, and a description I had taken literally, of course doh!lol , which actually turned up looking like a scruffy mess. Their low grade books were a little off the mark but the NM+ books were consistently very nice indeed, and I also received a run of Savage Sword of Conan 1 to 10 in this order which were beautiful copies.

I ended up buying regularly from them until I discovered comic marts, circa 1979 maybe.

Bought about £250 worth of Batman comics from Comics Warehouse back in the mid-90s. They were always advertising in Comics International so gave them a go. Went back and bought loads more, I think I bought a copy of every issue of Batman and 'Tec that they had in their inventory they were so cheap.

My first mail away buy was from Mile High. The Falcon, Iceman, and jack of Hearts mini-series. :cloud9:

Followed up by numerous purchases from NEC, East Coast, Mile High and my favorites of all time: Gary Dolgoff and Joe Koch

Bud Plant back in the day when I ran a small shop out of my house as a kid. I took over my sister's room when she went to college. I spent a lot of money back then, something like $75 for my first order. It was quite a big deal for me then.

Robert Bell, back circa 1969, bought early Fantastic Fours (issues in the 30's and 40's) to fill in my reading copies. Can't remember precisely, but they were gorgeous copies, for under a buck. Of course, at the time, they were less than 5 years old, lol

I've never really ordered large amounts off a site I did not trust but I ordered one time from a user here & got like 130 what if books for $30 & for some reason the paypal marked the shipping invoice as 130 books for $30 each so I got charged about $80 bucks in tax or something for $1000 worth of books lol

Me and the seller helped sort it all out with customs & I got my cash back though heh