• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a pressing "grey area"- could use some advice...

25 posts in this topic

All-

Hello and howdy. I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot from the forum- many thanks! I have a pretty specific question about pressing that I've asked elsewhere offline, but figured I'd bring it up here to see what you all say. And yes, I've read many of the threads here on pressing but no, I haven't read every comment on every page- apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

For the sake of argument, let's assume a) that we're philosophically ok with pressing and b) we're talking about a raw higher-end title, say Spider Man 121, that appears to grade around 9-ish. The comic has only a few minor defects, several of which could be pressed out of existence. It also has one or two light spine ticks that ever-so-slightly break the color. Pressing would probably make the actual surface crease disappear, but the one or two teeny tiny color breaks will obviously remain.

So, do you press or not? Pressing might bump it up somewhere between 9.2 and 9.6- potentially serious money, but it's not going to make it perfect. In this case would the pressing be a turn-off for the graders and/or collectors if the very few defects remaining are "leftovers" from an erased crease? What would you do?

For the record, while I've been a collector of various "stuff" for 30 years (stamps and coins, mostly), I've never gotten too into comics (boo, hiss, I know!). However, a friend of mine recently asked me to help him liquidate his comic collection, so for the last 6 months I've been taking a crash course in comic grading, selling, etc. I've sold about 100 books on Ebay so far but need to figure out what I'm going to do with his higher-end titles.

I've got a pretty good idea of what pressing does and doesn't do and when it's worth considering (assuming you're into it). This particular example- an expensive comic already in pretty good shape in which some of the defects will remain after pressing- kind of has me in knots.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

cheers,

thebugguy

Squish away.

Maybe I will start checking out these eBay auctions of yours. And snatching up some press able books?

Oh and WTTB

Stop by the Pgm section a lot of free advice in that area and a bunch of knowledgable guys.

People will buy the book and not the grade, hopefully. Some people have no problem with two CB spine ticks in 9.6, others do. The ones that don't have a problem with it are your customer base.

However this goes down, good luck!

-slym

All-

Hello and howdy. I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot from the forum- many thanks! I have a pretty specific question about pressing that I've asked elsewhere offline, but figured I'd bring it up here to see what you all say. And yes, I've read many of the threads here on pressing but no, I haven't read every comment on every page- apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

For the sake of argument, let's assume a) that we're philosophically ok with pressing and b) we're talking about a raw higher-end title, say Spider Man 121, that appears to grade around 9-ish. The comic has only a few minor defects, several of which could be pressed out of existence. It also has one or two light spine ticks that ever-so-slightly break the color. Pressing would probably make the actual surface crease disappear, but the one or two teeny tiny color breaks will obviously remain.

So, do you press or not? Pressing might bump it up somewhere between 9.2 and 9.6- potentially serious money, but it's not going to make it perfect. In this case would the pressing be a turn-off for the graders and/or collectors if the very few defects remaining are "leftovers" from an erased crease? What would you do?

For the record, while I've been a collector of various "stuff" for 30 years (stamps and coins, mostly), I've never gotten too into comics (boo, hiss, I know!). However, a friend of mine recently asked me to help him liquidate his comic collection, so for the last 6 months I've been taking a crash course in comic grading, selling, etc. I've sold about 100 books on Ebay so far but need to figure out what I'm going to do with his higher-end titles.

I've got a pretty good idea of what pressing does and doesn't do and when it's worth considering (assuming you're into it). This particular example- an expensive comic already in pretty good shape in which some of the defects will remain after pressing- kind of has me in knots.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

cheers,

thebugguy

Pressing isn't usually intended to eliminate all defects, just some of them. So, nearly every book that gets pressed is like your ASM 121: Some defects are pressed out and some remain. If you can see pressable defects in that particular book, paying for pressing will almost certainly be well worth it. (thumbs u

Thanks, all, for the input- I really appreciate it!

While it's an amazing experience (and privilege) to handle some of these comics it's also a little nerve-wracking. This is the first, and probably last, time I'll get a chance to do something like this- there won't be any "do-overs".

As I've said, I've sold about 100 books in the last few months- I've only got another 1,700 to go (I'm agonizingly slow)! I didn't mean for this to be a plug for my Ebay sales- if you really want to know more PM me (I'm assuming there is such a thing on this forum).

And yes, I've already sold some books that I kind of wish I hadn't (Marvel Fear #2, Charlton Comics Midnight Tales #1); but I *have* stashed away a couple that I may not be able to part with (Arrgh! #1, Wonder Woman #203)...

Thanks again, and cheers!

tbg

Press them...

Other than the fact it is a long process ..

from start of shipping, to getting them back to CGC you should be thinking 3 months min... where as you can sell today on ebay and have cash in hand by Canada day ;)

If you have the time to do it all and don't need the $ today. Squish em

`

Personally, I hate the look of a squish job on the spine to remove a couple ticks. Though I believe a qualified presser can spot reduce the ticks without simply turning up the press on the whole book the latter method is often employed. I also think the ticks can return, especially when the book is a bit loose in the inner well. It's all in how you view the hobby. I'm sure you can squish away, get your grade, and get your money. If you care about the book and the collector that may buy your book, I would refrain. I'm all for pressing on light folds and creases. I don't like the manufactured look of a squished spine. Sorry.

Am I the lone voice of reason and sanity? lol

Do nothing. Preserve the book as it is. Books don't "need" to be pressed. Period. :sumo:

Get back to your nap, Grandpa! :baiting:

zzz:grin:

:gossip: They don't "need" to be slabbed either . . . :preach:

Am I the lone voice of reason and sanity? lol

Do nothing. Preserve the book as it is. Books don't "need" to be pressed. Period. :sumo:

Get back to your nap, Grandpa! :baiting:

zzz:grin:

:gossip: They don't "need" to be slabbed either . . . :preach:

:o

thsuicide.gif

lol

Personally, I hate the look of a squish job on the spine to remove a couple ticks. Though I believe a qualified presser can spot reduce the ticks without simply turning up the press on the whole book the latter method is often employed. I also think the ticks can return, especially when the book is a bit loose in the inner well. It's all in how you view the hobby. I'm sure you can squish away, get your grade, and get your money. If you care about the book and the collector that may buy your book, I would refrain. I'm all for pressing on light folds and creases. I don't like the manufactured look of a squished spine. Sorry.

A good presser wont squish the spine.

+1

I was just thinking that as I worked my way through the thread. It's my understanding that it's not the pressure but the heat and expansion of the paper fibers that remove the defects.

+1

I was just thinking that as I worked my way through the thread. It's my understanding that it's not the pressure but the heat and expansion of the paper fibers that remove the defects.

I believe that the heat and moisture remove the defect, but it's the pressure that makes it flat. Heat and moisture alone would lead to waviness and ripples in the paper.

While I absolutely concur with you, unfortunately, not everyone is a good presser. As an example, here's a book I bought in auction and was very disappointed in hand. The spine is wafer thin, not natural looking at all.

BTW, so much for relying on the CVA sticker for their in hand opinion.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=13818&GSub=891

All-

Thanks for the continued discussion!

Without turning this into a pro vs con pressing thread, I have to say that personally I'm... apprehensive... about pressing. My concern in my original post was that pressing an already nice comic would create an "unnatural" look to the book, maybe magnifying the few remaining defects. I'm satisfied that if the person doing the pressing is competent they'll either a) improve the book or b) not go through with the pressing if they thought it would be detrimental.

The point of comics not *needing* to be pressed, or slabbed for that matter, are well taken. I guess it all boils down to your collecting philosophy and how much you weigh investment potential vs tactile pleasure. There's no reason why you can't have a little of both- I do in my coin collection.

In this particularly case, though, the comics are not and will never be mine- my personal opinions and collecting philosophies are moot. My first and foremost priority is to do what is in the financial best interests of my client (within ethical bounds, of course!). If the books will bring higher prices after being pressed and graded, then so be it. It's a real gas to be able to leaf through a NM Hulk 181, but it's just not my book to do with as I please.

One of these days I'm actually going to get around to shipping them off- as soon as I can convince myself that I've got the paperwork straight (and can hand over a grand or so worth of comics to the USPS). I'll post some of them in the appropriate thread when the eventually come back my way....

cheers,

tbg

While I absolutely concur with you, unfortunately, not everyone is a good presser. As an example, here's a book I bought in auction and was very disappointed in hand. The spine is wafer thin, not natural looking at all.

Send it in to me Bob and I will fix the spine.

CVA was daft from its inception. All you are doing is relying on someone else's opinion on an opinion that's already been rendered. You can't trust one over the other when what matters is your personal tastes.