• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Factor #6

143 posts in this topic

That is it

comes down to supply and demand

there is a good supply out there and when the demand drops so will the price

of all the comic book movie influences the only book I see holding value is that TTA 13, I need a copy for my run but this is where supply is limited against the demand,

so even after the movie and years down the road that book is still going to have a pretty high sticker price on it :frustrated:

I would like to thank everyone who bid on my book.

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

:applause: (thumbs u

I'll take that money for books I've had for ages all day long :whee:

The way you romanticize this hobby is truly an inspiration :grin:

not my fault I have impeccable timing with these books

Suck it nerd. :banana:

It is a key book and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a brain transplant. :screwy:

It's the second appearance of a second-tier villain who hasn't even been around very long. And the book exists in infinite supply.

A $30 book, sure, though even that seems steep., but maybe justified by him being center stage on the cover. A $300 book? That's crazy.

The Louise Simonson written X-Factor is a very fine series to read. Not homogeneous in quality, of course, but worth having. Not just the #6, there are more important issues.

It was a good series. Best X-Title of the era.

Aside from 5, 6, and 24, though, I don't know any others that count as "important." And 24 isn't really important.

It is a key book and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a brain transplant. :screwy:

It's the second appearance of a second-tier villain who hasn't even been around very long. And the book exists in infinite supply.

A $30 book, sure, though even that seems steep., but maybe justified by him being center stage on the cover. A $300 book? That's crazy.

That it is widely available does not affect whether it is a key or not see NM 98 for an example.

He is hardly a second tier villain when i was a kid growing up in the 90s apocalypse was the man.

and this last part is debatable but X5 is a cameo and X6 is 1st full appearance according to cgc.

That it is widely available does not affect whether it is a key or not see NM 98 for an example.

Or Incredible Hulk #181.

Print runs don't determine key book status. The value of said "key" is determined by demand vs. supply. As long as demand is greater, the price goes up. Simple economics.

Superman has been around for 75 years. Spider-Man has been around for 50 years. Apocalypse has "only" been around for 30 years. Good argument. Also, second-tier villains don't get to headline multiple major events.

He is hardly a second tier villain when i was a kid growing up in the 90s apocalypse was the man.

and this last part is debatable but X5 is a cameo and X6 is 1st full appearance according to cgc.

I grew up then too and don't remember ever hearing a word about Apocalypse. Unless you're talking late '90s which I admit I skipped a lot of.

I don't quite understand the obsession over villains' first appearances (beyond venerable big guns like Doom, Green Goblin, etc.), but I will acknowledge that younger readers seem vastly more interested in villains than in any heroes so maybe this'll be the new big thing.

I grew up then too and don't remember ever hearing a word about Apocalypse. Unless you're talking late '90s which I admit I skipped a lot of.

I don't quite understand the obsession over villains' first appearances (beyond venerable big guns like Doom, Green Goblin, etc.), but I will acknowledge that younger readers seem vastly more interested in villains than in any heroes so maybe this'll be the new big thing.

Your age is showing. Apocalypse has been around well over 20 years, and has played a large part in the X-Universe. To say he is not one of the "big guns" is laughable. I remember reading Mutant Massacre and seeing Angels Wings removed and his "suicide" in which Apocalypse abducted him and used him to create "death" aka Archangel. Because you werent interested because the words groovy, hip, and Gwen Stacy were NOT involved hardly means you should discount it. Apocalypse to me is a top 3 X-Men Villain, and to say otherwise is absurd.

Or Incredible Hulk #181.

Print runs don't determine key book status. The value of said "key" is determined by demand vs. supply. As long as demand is greater, the price goes up. Simple economics.

Or Silver Surfer 48.

I would like to thank everyone who bid on my book.

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

:applause: (thumbs u

I'll take that money for books I've had for ages all day long :whee:

The way you romanticize this hobby is truly an inspiration :grin:

not my fault I have impeccable timing with these books a big horseshoe up my azz

The problem is that there is incredible supply of these types of books. The price is up a lot now because there is a speculation demand spike for the book and people are hoarding it. How many people have a short box full of X-factor 6? I bet it is quite a few.

That level of demand is hard to sustain. People always start looking for the next hot thing. At some point demand drops back to a normal level based on actual interest in the character. The books stop selling at the inflated prices, and start trending down instead of up.

I'm not saying the book is worthless. There is some real demand. There are plenty of people who want to own a copy of it. The problem is that right now there are plenty of people that want to own 10+ copies of it. That will not be sustained, IMO.

I was recently taught a lesson in copper age that cost me quite a bit of money. I won't let it happen again. People who wanted that stuff as kids are hitting their top earning potential and interest has never been higher. Dismissing basically everything printed after 1980 as worthless junk (as I did for years) is a bad way to look at things. Those books are 25 years old now, and for a lot of younger collectors that's plenty "old" to justify high prices.

Regardless, it is an almost impossible book to keep in inventory. Even raw copies in the 9.0 range fly for $60 - 75.00. I would buy a long box of them right now and I could sell them all before the year ends.

I am like Andy. I think many people are dismissing the demand for these characters which people who are not 35 years old grew up reading and collecting. I don't care how many supposed copies there are out there. The books are 25 year old now (which is the nostalgia sweet spot) and combine that with the movie interest in which new people are being introduced to the characters, its a perfect storm.

The problem is that there is incredible supply of these types of books. The price is up a lot now because there is a speculation demand spike for the book and people are hoarding it. How many people have a short box full of X-factor 6? I bet it is quite a few.

That level of demand is hard to sustain. People always start looking for the next hot thing. At some point demand drops back to a normal level based on actual interest in the character. The books stop selling at the inflated prices, and start trending down instead of up.

I'm not saying the book is worthless. There is some real demand. There are plenty of people who want to own a copy of it. The problem is that right now there are plenty of people that want to own 10+ copies of it. That will not be sustained, IMO.

I was recently taught a lesson in copper age that cost me quite a bit of money. I won't let it happen again. People who wanted that stuff as kids are hitting their top earning potential and interest has never been higher. Dismissing basically everything printed after 1980 as worthless junk (as I did for years) is a bad way to look at things. Those books are 25 years old now, and for a lot of younger collectors that's plenty "old" to justify high prices.

Regardless, it is an almost impossible book to keep in inventory. Even raw copies in the 9.0 range fly for $60 - 75.00. I would buy a long box of them right now and I could sell them all before the year ends.

I am like Andy. I think many people are dismissing the demand for these characters which people who are not 35 years old grew up reading and collecting. I don't care how many supposed copies there are out there. The books are 25 year old now (which is the nostalgia sweet spot) and combine that with the movie interest in which new people are being introduced to the characters, its a perfect storm.

Circulation estimates based on later issues from this run would put it at around 340K. So lets say 30-40K for the Canadian market. I've done well on the CPV copies of this book and that's where I would continue to focus. Too much of the US direct/newsstand copies on eBay at any given time, and unfortunately that is one of the factors that determines how well a book stores it's value over time. There's a 9.8 on eBay that I doubt will come close to hitting the number the 9.8 got on CL.

I think some of us are just skeptical that that level of demand will be sustained in the future.

It's really hard for things to stay that hot. People either get their copies or move on to the next hot thing. When that happens, books that flew at $60 just sit at $30.

No dollar amount surprises me when it comes to "hot" books from any age, but especially stuff from the last twenty five years. One would think there would be enough copies of any of these books with print runs in the 100s of thousands to go around considering the current circulation of most books, but apparently the demand is strong enough to not just keep the slabbed 9.8/9.9s up in value, but raw 9.0s as well. How sustainable the prices are, especially for villain books is another story, but it's about the demand now.

Being an old fart who hasn't read an X-men comic since 1975, or much more than a half dozen or so creator runs of any Marvel book since then, but who still has a general awareness of the ongoing Marvel Universe ( largely thanks to these boards),

my first reaction to seeing the prices on this book, was "who is apocalypse, and why does anyone care?". Now I've never read a Deadpool story either, but his ubiquitous presence as of late, put the demand for NM98 in better perspective. I suppose if I had never read DC comics in the early seventies, I might be equally as perplexed by the popularity of JO 134, and wondered "Who is Darkseid?". As it is, I still think the recent run-up on that book is pretty frothy, and bound to have a downturn. For a first villain appearance to sustain a high degree of popularity, the villain should be nearly as iconic as the hero(es) he or she contends with.