• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
8 8

147 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2024 at 10:58 PM, stock_rotation said:

But there are a freight train of coincidences piling up behind Doerr (he was a geek in a time when geekdom was not popular, and Zodiac displayed a "lingua franca" combining obscure geek references while communicating with the normies), and nothing that actually excludes him.

What about the Zodiac's atrocious spelling (e.g. Christmass, paradice, etc.)? That would be something fairly easy to check. Are there any extant letters written by Doerr?

On 8/15/2024 at 8:26 PM, stock_rotation said:

The film "The Most Dangerous Game" was released in 1932, and referenced by the killer in 1969. The film of "The Mikado" was released in 1939 and referenced in 1970.

And there is documentation of Doerr seeking Prince Valiant strips in the 1960s.

This is true. You know what's also a strange coincidence? The Minutemen used the same symbol in their newsletters in the 60s. The Minutemen's membership list was requested from the FBI, and you will never guess who's name was on that list...

THE ORIGIN OF ZODIAC - ZODIAC CIPHERS

That right wing extremist group symbol is not the same as the one on the letters. And that symbol is far from niche. All that matters to me is the comic, not the ID of the zodiac killer, and I see nothing compelling to link the comic to ANY CANDIDATE for the killer.  The four words are not enough. A story for suckers favored by dealers is how I see it. But still a cool book with a great cover (the major elements of which are absent from Zodiac lore).

On 8/16/2024 at 2:18 AM, sfcityduck said:

A story for suckers favored by dealers . . ..

There are many stories that could fall into that category:

1) The Superman 1 printings are all of equal value.

2) A book autographed on the cover with a Sharpie can still be high grade.

3) The San Francisco books were collected by someone named Tom Reilly who died in a kamikaze attack.

4) Pressing isn't restoration.

The list could go on and on.

On 8/31/2024 at 5:58 AM, patman2011 said:

Looked through a local collection and found this in there.  Knew about the story but had never seen one myself.  Been doing some research and found this thread online ever since I picked it up.  Crazy stuff.  

20240829_194559.jpg

I love this book. For the cover not for its dark connotation. Hopefully, you didn’t have to pay a premium for the latter.

Luckily I didn't pay the premium.  Actually bought it because liked the cover.  Vaguely knew it had something to do with the zodiac killer but didn't know all about it til after I had already bought it and did some research.  After seeing all of this and the price the 4.5 went for earlier this year I definitely got a steal of a deal.  

On 8/31/2024 at 10:24 AM, Robot Man said:

I love this book. For the cover not for its dark connotation. Hopefully, you didn’t have to pay a premium for the latter.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:58 AM, patman2011 said:

Looked through a local collection and found this in there.  Knew about the story but had never seen one myself.  Been doing some research and found this thread online ever since I picked it up.  Crazy stuff.  

20240829_194559.jpg

The board welcomes the book back! (My notes say it was eventually sold on ebay 11/27/20)