• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Tim Holt #30 inspire the Zodiac Killer?
7 7

120 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

It’s a personal choice. Not judging anyone.

Helter Skelter is a good example for me. I’m a Beatles fan, like that song but can’t disconnect it from the Manson Murders. It’s tied to tightly to them now thanks to the media coverage. 

I’m just one of those people who are realistically aware of how brutal human beings can be but don’t like to be reminded about it in entertainment.

Kind of annoying that things I might like on their own merits get spoiled by other things. Anyway not a western collector but it is one of the better looking covers out there with or without the serial killer connection.

Totally understand and hope you didn't think I was being dismissive or disparaging of you or your preferences in any way.  I truly did not mean it to come across that way if that is what it appeared to be. :foryou:

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

+1 (thumbsu

I think the GGA cover is way cool and will eventually enjoy owning one. The Zodiac angle does nothing for me.

Here you go, Jon sony_emoji_b.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZODIAC-KILLER-LORE-TIM-HOLT-30-1952-MAGAZINE-ENTERPRISES-SERIAL-KILLER/254265897612?hash=item3b336db28c:g:imAAAOSwo4VdBmXR 

Edited by telerites

8 hours ago, telerites said:

Good points, Corey. 

Yeah, I would not buy things owned, written or directly connected to a serial killer or items connection with Nazis/Hitler, KKK, etc. I see these items in auctions and for sale - to each his own for collecting such items and I don't negatively judge them for doing so but this comic was produced independently of the serial killer.  Like I said, I would still want a copy of this book after seeing the cover if the Zodiac angle was not present.

I like this particular book. The GGA is awsome, the horror conotation is wild. The Zodiac angle doesn't even figure into the equation as why I would like to have one. But, due to the hype, I will probably have to "get lucky" now.

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Whew, tough to keep up with this market. By noon tomorrow this will be a $3K book in grade and I'll kick myself forever for passing at $750.  :D

23 hours ago, telerites said:

Yeah, I would not buy things owned, written or directly connected to a serial killer or items connection with Nazis/Hitler, KKK, etc. I see these items in auctions and for sale - to each his own for collecting such items and I don't negatively judge them for doing so but this comic was produced independently of the serial killer.  Like I said, I would still want a copy of this book after seeing the cover if the Zodiac angle was not present.

You know I need to recant some of this post.  I mentioned that I would buy Hitler or Nai connected items thinking of military collectibles but since I collect WWII era comics, I have many Hitler covers and wildly fiendish depictions of Nazis and Japanese soldiers.  When you think about the deaths associated with that war and the holocaust with a leader trying to commit genocide, it does give me pause to think that I forget about the actual events when I am looking at a funny book.  While these are actual event and the Holt is supposedly connected to a serial killer, both make me reflect.  

Still not trying to disparage one's opinions, perceptions, or feelings but when you consider a book with Hitler on/in it that may be in your collection, I now think more about the loss of life during the conflict and not just a comic collectible.  

WW 2 covers reflect the horrors happening in the world at the time. The Tim Holt on the other hand is just a random comic that might have some connection to one case. 

One type sums up a period in history, the other is a unique - if totally unsubstantiated - bit of trivia.

By the way, who the heck first noticed this possible connection - a comics fan?

33 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

By the way, who the heck first noticed this possible connection - a comics fan?

I don't recall any background on the person that first came up with the idea.  I provided a link earlier in the thread to where the comic is referenced as part of a general exploration of the possible suspects and linkage to the comic.  I last looked into this years ago and it seemed like this was an effort by amateur sleuths who investigate these old, odd cases.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

I don't recall any background on the person that first came up with the idea.  I provided a link earlier in the thread to where the comic is referenced as part of a general exploration of the possible suspects and linkage to the comic.  I last looked into this years ago and it seemed like this was an effort by amateur sleuths who investigate these old, odd cases.

Did he have a box of Tim Holt 30s he was preparing to sell?

:nyah:

3 hours ago, szav said:

Not quite $700 for a 1.0 but still a solid finish for a 3.0.  Interesting to see the CLink description mention  the theoretical Zodiac link.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1052%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D24%23Item_1421675&id=1421675&itemType=0

It didn't originally. Added later.

On 5/31/2014 at 9:05 PM, adamstrange said:

One man believes his father was the killer and that the comic is actually further evidence to that. I have no idea of the reliability of this author or the online community that seems to be trying to determine the identity of Zodiac.

http://stevehodel.com/2014/05/new-zodiac-halloween-card-link-examines-zero-degrees-separation-george-hodel/

Link to book excerpt

http://stevehodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/BDA-II-by-rope-by-gun-by-knife-by-fire.pdf

He also believes his father was the Black Dahlia Killer as well as a handful of other murders around the globe ???

On 9/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Last sale of this ish on the bay was couple days ago, VG copy for $287.

Compare that "VG" with the VG- graded copy that sold for over $1,000.  I doubt blissard's VG would even get a 3.0 by CGC, especially a trimmed copy like that. 

I guess I better start looking for this book at garage sales...:roflmao:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Looks like the last zodiac message was finally cracked.

I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE ALL THE SOONER BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW LIFE IS LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE DEATH

Probably still need a little more time for the market to motivate more sellers.