• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here collect sketches...but DON'T get them graded?

64 posts in this topic

I have about half my sketches raw. Certain ones I have had slabbed, but like others have said, I would rather spend the money getting more sketches, than grading the book.

I have considered switching to backing boards for sketches, they get a yellow label, cost less to encase because there is no grade involved, and they come back in 2 weeks. Plus the case they come in, can be put in a three ring binder.

I'm curious to see how it looks like. Can you post a pic?

None of mine are graded. Probably because we don't have a signature witness that lives in Utah.

There should be a share your non-graded sketches mega thread, for us outcasts. :acclaim:

We could share all non CGC sketches...blanks...plain paper stock...sketch books....etc.

Not sure if the powers that be would like that though. hm

I get sketches in my sketchbook. Most are Batman related as that is my favorite character. I started to get them CGCed just cause I like them like that. In general I do both.

I actually wanted to do a sketchbook this time. What would you recommend? I mean the type of sketchbook? I saw one at the con with a sketch of Marc Silvestri as the cover.

I just have a small sketchbook.

No idea what the brand is, but it is black and spiral bound. Bought it at Barnes and Nobles. You can find a much better selection of sketch books at an art supply store.

Just have a look and find one you like.

I get sketches in my sketchbook. Most are Batman related as that is my favorite character. I started to get them CGCed just cause I like them like that. In general I do both.

I actually wanted to do a sketchbook this time. What would you recommend? I mean the type of sketchbook? I saw one at the con with a sketch of Marc Silvestri as the cover.

I just have a small sketchbook.

No idea what the brand is, but it is black and spiral bound. Bought it at Barnes and Nobles. You can find a much better selection of sketch books at an art supply store.

Just have a look and find one you like.

Get a decent sized book 8.5 X 11 type. Some people get smaller or larger. When I first started, I had a giant pad and artists, upon their own discretion, would either use the whole page or 1/5th of it hence my current stance on sketchbook sizing.

Art Supply store is your best bet to purchase some quality sketchbooks. If you can't make it, you can always go online. You want paper that has a decent heft to it to allow the various artists who create with various mediums (pencils, india inks, watercolors, etc). The strength of the page is referred to as "lbs.". The higher the "lbs.", the thicker the paper is. The thicker the paper, the less the inks can "bleed" through. As a precaution, I usually have 1-2 pieces of scrap paper behind the page and that helps prevent bleeding while an artist will work their magic.

"Acid Free paper" is another term you'll see. Sketchbooks that are Acid Free are good because they help with slowing deterioration of the paper itself over time.

Sketches should be on one side of the page only. Last thing you want is an artist's work to bleed through and taint a previous piece of art you received.

Here are some links:

http://drawsketch.about.com/od/sketchingsketchbooks/tp/tpsketchbooks.htm

http://www.artistdaily.com/blogs/drawing/archive/2008/12/08/drawing-the-best-sketchbook.aspx

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-610441.html

SS superfan bagofleas got some art prints done this way and posted a journal about them...

Megacon results

Another article...

Photo Signature Series on NGC page

It seems that they are basically done the same as an autographed photo. No grading is applied, just authentication and verification. Because there is no grade to protect, the case is not rigid like the one for comics. I think this looks like a great alternative to blank covers.

On the regular Signature Series submission form, there is a box for "Photos and Sketches Submission" in the lower right portion of the Grading Tier box. Looks like $15 and 30 business days or so.

Most of mine are raw, I had Bob McLeod do a sketch for me last year at mightycon. I would like to get them slabbed so that if something where to happen to me that my wife can sell them without to much of a hassle.

I have about half my sketches raw. Certain ones I have had slabbed, but like others have said, I would rather spend the money getting more sketches, than grading the book.

I have considered switching to backing boards for sketches, they get a yellow label, cost less to encase because there is no grade involved, and they come back in 2 weeks. Plus the case they come in, can be put in a three ring binder.

I don't have a picture handy, the only ones I've seen, belong to people I know. I'll try to get a picture of one of them, so you can see them.

I don't have a picture handy, the only ones I've seen, belong to people I know. I'll try to get a picture of one of them, so you can see them.

I'm also interested to see these.

I have quite a collection of raws.

You can see a few here:

WILD BILL'S SKETCH COVER COLLECTION

Please post a pic.

Thats a pretty cool collection.

Maybe you guys can help me understand something.

If protecting the art doesn't matter and the authentication doesn't matter then why even bother with sketch covers? Why not just get them on 11X17s I would bet the prices would be comparable and from what Ive experienced the artist has a tendency to do a little more on the larger surface.

I have started to think the same thing. I love the artwork, first and foremost. Sketch covers display easily in my spinner rack, so the blanks work best there, but I have thought about going to a sketch book. I have also toyed with the idea of going bigger, much like you suggested. The sketches I have, are the last things I would sell, hence why getting them slabbed, hasn't been the biggest deal to me. I will admit, I have gotten more stuff cgc ss, the past few years,than I did, when I first got into getting sketch covers.

I have started to think the same thing. I love the artwork, first and foremost. Sketch covers display easily in my spinner rack, so the blanks work best there, but I have thought about going to a sketch book. I have also toyed with the idea of going bigger, much like you suggested. The sketches I have, are the last things I would sell, hence why getting them slabbed, hasn't been the biggest deal to me. I will admit, I have gotten more stuff cgc ss, the past few years,than I did, when I first got into getting sketch covers.

I like the idea of a sketch book. Of course what I don't like is that if its lost you're in trouble. Also the idea of the spinner rack is a great idea for displaying the books. You're probably one of the few that has them on display.

I think, for the most part, we don't just collect one thing. Hell, even I have some 11X17s. Its pretty much inevitable although I don't make a habit of it. I have that OCD where if I buy a piece of OA it has to get framed and that gets expensive.

most of my sketches are raw. me too i don't have any interest on getting them slabbed, besides cgc is kinda expensive for me and i would prefer to reserve that on a very special book. if the artists are among the big names i might send them off.

If protecting the art doesn't matter and the authentication doesn't matter then why even bother with sketch covers? Why not just get them on 11X17s I would bet the prices would be comparable and from what Ive experienced the artist has a tendency to do a little more on the larger surface.

What makes you think not having a book slabbed is "not protecting the art"?

Also the idea of the spinner rack is a great idea for displaying the books. You're probably one of the few that has them on display.

As far as presentation is concerned, I think the art looks fantastic in mylar. I actually keep all my sketches together in a spinner rack, which looks great.

What makes you think not having a book slabbed is "not protecting the art"?

I never said that. Re-read my post.