• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here collect sketches...but DON'T get them graded?

64 posts in this topic

Having a personal commission on a Comicbook sized format may be a preference. Would be no different than if a fan asked for sketch card. Now if the price was the same across the board the question would be why would you not pick a larger 11x17 size

Thats a pretty cool collection.

Maybe you guys can help me understand something.

If protecting the art doesn't matter and the authentication doesn't matter then why even bother with sketch covers? Why not just get them on 11X17s I would bet the prices would be comparable and from what Ive experienced the artist has a tendency to do a little more on the larger surface.

What makes you think not having a book slabbed is "not protecting the art"?

I never said that. Re-read my post.

Then you will have to explain the meaning behind this statement, specifically.

"If protecting the art doesn't matter and the authentication doesn't matter then why even bother with sketch covers?"

That implies that getting sketch covers graded by CGC, offers the two benefits you mentioned.

1. protecting the art

2. authentication

To me, it implied that getting sketch covers graded offered those benefits, so not getting them graded, would not (shrug)

I know I am completely in the minority on this, but I just don't see the point of just buying sketches, and not personally dealing with the artist.

Eventually...it just becomes, who do you know, or how much money can you spend? (shrug)

But hey, different strokes...etc.

How about just simply wanting to own a nice piece of artwork? (shrug)

As much as id like to meet some of my favourite artists, my location prevents me from doing so.

Perhaps I don't need to personally meet the artists to admire his body of work and to want to own something original from them...

I know I am completely in the minority on this, but I just don't see the point of just buying sketches, and not personally dealing with the artist.

Eventually...it just becomes, who do you know, or how much money can you spend? (shrug)

As much as id like to meet some of my favourite artists, my location prevents me from doing so.

Perhaps I don't need to personally meet the artists to admire his body of work and to want to own something original from them...

I prefer to meet with the artists and even the athletes whose signatures I get on different memorabilia. But I'd rather have the art or signature than wait for some random time when I can get to meet them.

The first opp I signed up for was Ed Tadeo, who lives in the Philippines. I'm also in one with an artist from Greece. So my chances of meeting them are very slim but I'll still get some requested art from them.

If the situation is such, that it is virtually impossible for someone to get to a convention, than yes I completely understand.

I get them done on a sketchbook.

I'll do the blanks like once in a while if someone has my sketchbook. I have 3 sketchbooks on me so I don't need to carry blanks on me at a convention unless I need to.

Having a personal commission on a Comicbook sized format may be a preference. Would be no different than if a fan asked for sketch card. Now if the price was the same across the board the question would be why would you not pick a larger 11x17 size

You can't authenticate an 11x17 and if I am paying decent money for a commission then i want some form of authentication so when if I get to sick or pass on my family or myself can sell them later.

You can't authenticate an 11x17 and if I am paying decent money for a commission then i want some form of authentication so when if I get to sick or pass on my family or myself can sell them later.

You can't authenticate an artists signature or style? Seriously?

Commissions and art existed long before CGC.

I prefer to meet with the artists and even the athletes whose signatures I get on different memorabilia. But I'd rather have the art or signature than wait for some random time when I can get to meet them.

The first opp I signed up for was Ed Tadeo, who lives in the Philippines. I'm also in one with an artist from Greece. So my chances of meeting them are very slim but I'll still get some requested art from them.

Tadeo is awesome.

wolviesketch.jpg

This is what the cgc ss case looks like if, you get sketches on backing boards. I know it's just a picture in the case, but it gives you an idea of what the case looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BZ343-Photo-FRED-NIBLO-ENID-BENNETT-Passengers-S-S-Berengaria-1959-/310971982470?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item48675fe286

If protecting the art doesn't matter and the authentication doesn't matter then why even bother with sketch covers? Why not just get them on 11X17s I would bet the prices would be comparable and from what Ive experienced the artist has a tendency to do a little more on the larger surface.

I have 11X17s. I have comic art on stretched canvas. I have art on backboards. I have art 8X11 pieces of paper. I have an imitation sketch blank that was printed on a 5'X3' foam board & then sketched upon. Hel l... i even have preliminary doodles used for published comics that are on post-it notes. So why do I keep getting sketch covers? I have been collecting them since the 1990s & really it's just a preference. I have no other excuse.

I have 11X17s. I have comic art on stretched canvas. I have art on backboards. I have art 8X11 pieces of paper. I have an imitation sketch blank that was printed on a 5'X3' foam board & then sketched upon. Hel l... i even have preliminary doodles used for published comics that are on post-it notes. So why do I keep getting sketch covers? I have been collecting them since the 1990s & really it's just a preference. I have no other excuse.

Me too. I have art on canvas, sketch pad paper, 11X17s, and sketch covers. I love sketch covers. My question is why bother with sketch covers if youre not getting it graded. I would think cost might be a factor but if that was the case why not just go with 11x17s. Like I said in my experience the artist tends to do a little more work on 11X17s. If its an issue of portability then why not a sketch pad or book.

I think I answered that. "it's just a preference".

Truth be told, I don't like cgc slabbing. I like this forum & some of the collectors (yourself incuded), but if you guys had a sketch cover forum independant of cgc, I'd follow you guys to it.

Just curious.

Seems like everyone that is into getting sketches, sends them off to Florida as well. For the record, I have no problem if getting them graded is your thing...I would rather just spend grading fees, on another sketch.

I've been collecting sketches since I got back into convention going, but I really have no interest in getting them graded.

Seems like I'm alone. (shrug)

Guilty :fear:

Rafael Mendez (RavenX-13) keeps all his sketches RAW. He has been collecting sketch covers as long as I have I believe (circa 2007 if not earlier) .

He has one amazing collection on CAF, you should check them out

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=27709

I have quite a collection of raws.

You can see a few here:

WILD BILL'S SKETCH COVER COLLECTION

Sometimes I wish there was a "LIKE" button. ha ha

I think I answered that. "it's just a preference".

Truth be told, I don't like cgc slabbing. I like this forum & some of the collectors (yourself incuded), but if you guys had a sketch cover forum independant of cgc, I'd follow you guys to it.

:foryou:

I think preference kind of sums it up for anyone that collects sketch covers but doesn't slab them.

For me personally I think it makes a lot of sense to slab them. Not only for the authentication but for resale value as well.

I collect 11x17 and smaller, but prefer to collect sketch covers and have them slabbed for several reasons.

• Sketch covers are usually cheaper than an 11x17.
  • I've found that slabbed sketch covers are easier to resell in general compared to paper commissions (varies by artist and artwork obviously).
  • Slabbing provides a cheap and easy way to protect and display the art. Not to mention the cost of getting a good/professional frame for larger artwork can start adding up really quick.
  • Sketch covers are smaller and easier to display/hang on my wall, whereas larger paper artwork takes up significantly more space. I can display 4 slabbed sketch covers in the same amount of space I can display a single framed 11x17. This is really beneficial to me because of limited wall space.
  • Sketch covers provide a sense of uniformity to my collection, especially when displayed.

I have some paper commissions that I collect and absolutely love that are hanging on my wall, but I also have a bunch tucked away in a portfolio. As a collector, I don't see a point in collecting if I can't enjoy the thing that I'm collecting, so if I'm collecting artwork I want to be able to look at it and appreciate it. I also try not to collect haphazardly and only specific things. I don't want to own something just to say I own it and then it sit in a portfolio never to be seen again and start buying more stuff just to do the same thing. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Hoarders. :roflmao: