• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic connect auction thoughts

345 posts in this topic

Anyone else feel that while CC stoppage time auctions work well for consignors of big books, they may in fact be bad news for consignors of other books. There have been a number of books that I would have, at the least, bid up, but got distracted by the back and forth bidding in stoppage time and other auctions I would have bid on had ended by the time I got back to them.

"Anyone else feel that while CC stoppage time auctions work well for consignors of big books, they may in fact be bad news for consignors of other books. There have been a number of books that I would have, at the least, bid up, but got distracted by the back and forth bidding in stoppage time and other auctions I would have bid on had ended by the time I got back to them."

I agree with this. I think I went like 20+ min over on MMC #9 and when all the dust settled I remembered the other MMCs I had my eye on. They had long since ended without a single bid from me.

So... keep you eye on the small fish that follow the big keys. Bargains!

Well the MMC#9 is now pushing $3k with 5 hours left. Might have to divert to another book. hm

I'm having a hard time justifying how this copy of MMC #9 is worth over $1,000 more than the price it was bought for last April...(

I understand key Captain America's rising this year, but I'm not sure on this key Timely.

Was the book's sale at $3,100.00 last April a super good deal?

Either way, I doubt the winner can sell it next year for $6,000.00 for a similar profit.

I've owned a handful of 9s in my time, and always like to comment on this book. Two years ago, my 3.0 garnered $6500 and $5400 (in clink auction four months later). Paper was light tan to ow but structurally was nice (Parker's old copy). The old label 3.0 (also my former copy) took in $9200+ on CC a few months ago which I was surprised to see. This 1.8 ending tonight is at $4200. $3100 was a good price for that 1.8 in my opinion. The 9 has dropped considerably the past four years. Used to be a $4k-$5k a point book. Arguably, still the best subby cover.

One of the things that really hurt MMC #9 sales prices IMO is when the Larson #9 went relatively cheap. It was a book with a colorful history and failed to perform but to the general public who didn't really follow that particular copy it left a low recorded sales price and the issue seems to have been slow to rise in price ever since.

The two might be unrelated but they did occur at roughly the same time. I owned a blue label 5.0 at the time (gorgeous book BTW) and followed the market closely.

true Roy. I remember the 5.0 being a hot sale at $25k.

Well the MMC#9 is now pushing $3k with 5 hours left. Might have to divert to another book. hm

I'm having a hard time justifying how this copy of MMC #9 is worth over $1,000 more than the price it was bought for last April...(

I understand key Captain America's rising this year, but I'm not sure on this key Timely.

Either way, I doubt the winner can sell it next year for $6,000.00 for a similar profit.

I've owned a handful of 9s in my time, and always like to comment on this book. Two years ago, my 3.0 garnered $6500 and $5400 (in clink auction four months later). Paper was light tan to ow but structurally was nice (Parker's old copy). The old label 3.0 (also my former copy) took in $9200+ on CC a few months ago which I was surprised to see. This 1.8 ending tonight is at $4200. $3100 was a good price for that 1.8 in my opinion. The 9 has dropped considerably the past four years. Used to be a $4k-$5k a point book. Arguably, still the best subby cover.

One of the things that really hurt MMC #9 sales prices IMO is when the Larson #9 went relatively cheap. It was a book with a colorful history and failed to perform but to the general public who didn't really follow that particular copy it left a low recorded sales price and the issue seems to have been slow to rise in price ever since.

The two might be unrelated but they did occur at roughly the same time. I owned a blue label 5.0 at the time (gorgeous book BTW) and followed the market closely.

I paid a lot of money for the book because I was really hot for it and at $5K a point I probably paid 'next year's prices' but even at $4K a point it should have held steady.

Now when I think about it, around that time period there were a lot of Marvel #1's on the market as well and that book hit a lull as well because of it.

I think because of the combination of a few of soft #1 and one soft #9 sales, the #9 would definitely have been affected IMO. #1's have rebounded since.

I've owned a handful of 9s in my time, and always like to comment on this book.

Arguably, still the best subby cover.

As subby covers go it is in the top 5 for sure, but I might still prefer #26.

300px-Marvel_Mystery_Comics_Vol_1_26.jpg

Or #4 if only he drew his wings. :makepoint:

Marvel_Mystery_Comics_4.png

What do you guys think of the 1.8 going for $5,600?

Some bidders are outspoken about how they don't like tape. Could have had a factor.

I paid a lot of money for the book because I was really hot for it and at $5K a point I probably paid 'next year's prices' but even at $4K a point it should have held steady.

Now when I think about it, around that time period there were a lot of Marvel #1's on the market as well and that book hit a lull as well because of it.

I think because of the combination of a few of soft #1 and one soft #9 sales, the #9 would definitely have been affected IMO. #1's have rebounded since.

I believe the Larson 9 was cleaned and PLOD at one point or maybe still is? I'm sure that hurt the FMV. Regardless, the 9 is a top five Timely.

I've owned a handful of 9s in my time, and always like to comment on this book.

Arguably, still the best subby cover.

As subby covers go it is in the top 5 for sure, but I might still prefer #26.

300px-Marvel_Mystery_Comics_Vol_1_26.jpg

Or #4 if only he drew his wings. :makepoint:

Marvel_Mystery_Comics_4.png

the 26 shows Subby doing quite a feat tearin off that plane wheels but I'm really into character poses and/or Facial expressions--so Marvel Mystery 9,10,15 are my favs at least in the early MM run with subby covers

What do you guys think of the 1.8 going for $5,600?

mar2.1405a.jpg

seems to be gaining upward a little FMV wise compared to the $2k per point a few years ago. Pretty consistent with the 3.0 old label selling for 9200+ on CC recently. As mentioned before, the 9 had little to no price resistance to my knowledge the last 20 years I've tracked it. It was a $4k-$5k a point book low to mid grade before it dropped off as Roy mentioned.

I believe the Larson 9 was cleaned and PLOD at one point or maybe still is? I'm sure that hurt the FMV. Regardless, the 9 is a top five Timely.

It was a PLOD 5.0 because of glue on the cover. It was also a Nik Cage book. Someone removed the glue and cleaned the book up quite a bit, including removing the Larson coding, and it came back a blue label 5.5. Not sure how CGC knew it was the Larson with the coding gone, but there you go. Somewhere along the line, it was resubbed yet again, and came back blue label 6.0. The front cover presents really well for the grade, but the foxing on the back cover is pretty bad.

It was a PLOD 5.0 because of glue on the cover. It was also a Nik Cage book. Someone removed the glue and cleaned the book up quite a bit, including removing the Larson coding, and it came back a blue label 5.5. Not sure how CGC knew it was the Larson with the coding gone, but there you go. Somewhere along the line, it was resubbed yet again, and came back blue label 6.0. The front cover presents really well for the grade, but the foxing on the back cover is pretty bad.

Thanks Jeff. Too bad that book isn't "as is" fresh out of the barn.