• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic connect auction thoughts

345 posts in this topic

I had to finish up after midnight but I bit the bullet and bid on the Mile High Rangers. For the most part, the prices weren't too out of line with what I would have expected. Some got a bit stretched by the end though. The Heritage approach to internet bidding is 1 gazillion times better than waiting and waiting and waiting for some numbnut who likes to up the price with 1 second remaining. I guess they hope I will fall asleep before the next bid.

Why do they think anyone needs 3 minutes to respond to being outbid? It's like a 10 second thing.

Time for people to get emails or even phone calls. A delay of that length is common with auction houses selling big ticket items. And perhaps that is the key phrase "big ticket." If an item is selling for five figures then perhaps people need more time than somebody who is trying to snipe a 20 dollar book

The three minute extended bidding feature favours the consignor, but is constraining for the auction house - if CC ever want to increase the amount of lots in their auctions, it would either extend the amount of time for each day of the auction or add to the amount of days involved (five, as opposed to Clink and Heritage's three), which might be excessive.

It probably favors the consignor. I have seen several Boardies post about missing out on the sale because the auction took so long they gave up or they forgot to bid on one lot because they were concentrating on another. I have had similar challenges.

Put in your max bids on all of the books that you`re interested, log off and go have a life. Come back later, log on, and see what you won and lost.

Where's the fun in that? :baiting:

I had to finish up after midnight but I bit the bullet and bid on the Mile High Rangers. For the most part, the prices weren't too out of line with what I would have expected. Some got a bit stretched by the end though. The Heritage approach to internet bidding is 1 gazillion times better than waiting and waiting and waiting for some numbnut who likes to up the price with 1 second remaining. I guess they hope I will fall asleep before the next bid.

Why do they think anyone needs 3 minutes to respond to being outbid? It's like a 10 second thing.

Time for people to get emails or even phone calls. A delay of that length is common with auction houses selling big ticket items. And perhaps that is the key phrase "big ticket." If an item is selling for five figures then perhaps people need more time than somebody who is trying to snipe a 20 dollar book

The three minute extended bidding feature favours the consignor, but is constraining for the auction house - if CC ever want to increase the amount of lots in their auctions, it would either extend the amount of time for each day of the auction or add to the amount of days involved (five, as opposed to Clink and Heritage's three), which might be excessive.

It probably favors the consignor. I have seen several Boardies post about missing out on the sale because the auction took so long they gave up or they forgot to bid on one lot because they were concentrating on another. I have had similar challenges.

Put in your max bids on all of the books that you`re interested, log off and go have a life. Come back later, log on, and see what you won and lost.

Fun?! What does collecting comics have to do with fun??? :ohnoez:

Exactly lol

Sub-mariner Comics 32 :cloud9:

Thunda 1 :cloud9:

....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great minds think alike (thumbs u

Score :acclaim:

..... looks like a greater mind outbid me on both lol .....GOD BLESS...

Sub-mariner 32 ....... $ 2525

Thunda 1.................$ 2272

....totally forgot to bid on the one I really wanted..... JIUW 32 (CGC 8.0) @ less than $ 300 :sorry:

With premiums commonly at 3X guide for collector pedigrees compared to similar graded books, the premium paid by this buyer leaves a lot of room for the market to catch up and say that some copies owned by the creators should be valued at least as much as a copy once owned by a known collector. Understand why people go for values like that, since it harkens to the days when they were collecting as kids and they like to imagine what it would have been like if they;d been born decades earlier and they were the guy who trundled down the five and dime and picked up comics each week, then put them in a cedar closet for 50 years. I get that. Just don't think in the long run that historic or copies owned by famous creators (or even famous people) will lag behind that.

I've added 50% premium to lower grade provenance books but I can't recall a single one in recent memory that went 300% (shrug)

Same here. (shrug)

Dear Mr. Bluechip, if you could direct me to the folks paying a 300% premium for a Church over what a non-pedigreed copy in the same grade would go for, I have some very nice books for them. Hell, I would give you a finder`s fee equal to 1/3 of the premium. :popcorn:

I don't know who the folks are that are paying 3X or more for pedigrees. My information comes from this board where I have seen figures like that posted here in the post-auction discussion of prices realized. I used Church as an example because it's a pedigree name I recognize but I hear figures like that a lot for many pedigrees whose names I don't recognize.

It`s so simple. (shrug)

Nope, I'm still confused. Could you run everyone through this concept again? ;)

It`s so simple. (shrug)

Nope, I'm still confused. Could you run everyone through this concept again? ;)

lol

Fun?! What does collecting comics have to do with fun??? :ohnoez:

The blood is the life.

I don't play at the upper levels like most posting here in this thread do. I'm a poor man. But I have won a couple thus far that I like a lot. Still waiting on a few more. One I really wanted was the "It tickles" Superman #32. But alas, I lost out. It was very frustrating trying to bid in those three minute extensions. The site just wasn't working well, and I could not get through with bid raises. I should have just thrown in a $700 bid and been done with it.

archiespalsngals1front_zpsf8e09f52.jpg

talestoastonish93front_zps6da07087.jpg

The Pals 'N' Gals 1 is one of my favorite Archie covers. Great pickup. (thumbs u

Sub-mariner Comics 32 :cloud9:

Thunda 1 :cloud9:

....GOD BLESS...

Great minds think alike (thumbs u

Score :acclaim:

..... looks like a greater mind outbid me on both lol .....GOD BLESS...

Sub-mariner 32 ....... $ 2525

Thunda 1.................$ 2272

....totally forgot to bid on the one I really wanted..... JIUW 32 (CGC 8.0) @ less than $ 300 :sorry:

Who'd a though it would sell for less than the last copy on GPA that sold in 2010. doh!

It`s so simple. (shrug)

That's the approach I usually use. However, on Tuesday I had my eye on a few books. I didn't want to submit early, aggressive max bids on them all because what if I did win several?...guess I'd have to tap into the ol' retirement fund (which happened to me once) :cry: .

So, I bid live on a few books unsuccessfully. Finally, I won a book that was at the top of my list and then stopped - for the most part ;) - with subsequent bidding.

Too sleepy to stay up for the close of a book I was interested in. So, I put in my max bid, went to bed and woke up to find I had won it. Been bidding unsuccessfully on other copies for a quite a while.

uni233a_zpse1327dc4.jpg

It`s so simple. (shrug)

That's the approach I usually use. However, on Tuesday I had my eye on a few books. I didn't want to submit early, aggressive max bids on them all because what if I did win several?...guess I'd have to tap into the ol' retirement fund (which happened to me once) :cry: .

So, I bid live on a few books unsuccessfully. Finally, I won a book that was at the top of my list and then stopped - for the most part ;) - with subsequent bidding.

No kidding!!! (worship)

Did anyone happen to watch the following books and have the final prices to report?

Our Army At War #81 CGC 8.0

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

Our Fighting Forces #45 CGC ?

Star Spangled War Stories 84 CGC 7.0

SSWS 85-88

Please and thanks.... :wishluck:

OAAW #81 CGC 8.0: $4,277

OAAW #83 CGC 7.0: $7,400

I'm not sure about the others, but if no one else responds, you can look them up by going to your ComicConnect Event Auction emails and clicking on the appropriate links (or PM me if you don't such emails, and I'll do it for you).

Thanks so much! (worship)

Just need SSWS 84's final price now.

Did anyone happen to watch the following books and have the final prices to report?

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

SSWS 85-88

I'm not sure about the others, but if no one else responds, you can look them up by going to your ComicConnect Event Auction emails and clicking on the appropriate links (or PM me if you don't such emails, and I'll do it for you).

No problemo!

SSWS #84: $895

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

SSWS 85-88

No problemo!

What about the SSWS 85-88?

OAAW 83 CGC 7.0

OAAW 128 CGC 9.0?

SSWS 85-88

No problemo!

What about the SSWS 85-88?

See adamstrange's post here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1225701&fpart=839

Filter has a cgc 3.5 sig series Cap 1 in the FS section. I wonder how important psychology comes into play in the auction format to increase prices in a bidding war. I think it is safe to say that if the taped up cgc 2.5 cap 1 has a fair market value of $40k (its sale price in the cc auction) then this much better looking, higher graded sig copy should easily fetch 50k, filters asking price. Similar with the Wonder Woman 1 cgc 8.0 wp in the FS forum where the seller is asking LESS THAN the final price of the cgc 7.5 in the cc auction. If these were in the auction you would think they would both have gone higher than the boards asking price.