• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What issue contains the first real Superman- Captain Marvel fight.

13 posts in this topic

I just read the highly entertaining JLA crossover where Supes fights Captain Thunders( a Marvel imitation).

Where did they first meet up and if they dont brawl in it, when is the first fight?

The only Captain Thunder story that I am familiar with is Superman 276. Not sure if they built on that one or not. BTW, I like the cover and the story. It was one of the first bronze comics that I bought when I got back into collecting and would like to get the original art someday.

I thought this was their first real fight as Supes/Capt. Marvel - All New Collectors' Edition #58 (outside the courtroom battles in the GA :insane:)

It has been a long time since I read the JLA stories (135-137). Did they really fight in those stories?

2e0e4df4-7fef-4f3a-9642-99ee3fbc9998.jpg

As being a big fan of Superman Vs. Captain Marvel (Shazam) I think this how it goes...

JLA #137 - Superman & Shazam first meeting with each other in comics. They never fought each other. It's more like Captain Marvel & Superman ran into each other and Captain Marvel yelled the magic words Shazam!.

All-New Collectors' Edition Vol 1 C-58 - Is Superman & Shazam first fight against each other in comics.

Here gets a little confusing because of Roy Thomas.

All-Star Squadron #36-37 - Is Superman & Shazam very first fight of each other in the 1940's as part of the DC continuity. Captain Marvel wins in the fight.

I just read the highly entertaining JLA crossover where Supes fights Captain Thunders( a Marvel imitation).

Where did they first meet up and if they dont brawl in it, when is the first fight?

Are you referring to Justice League #103 with Phantom Stranger and the Rutland Vermont Halloween super-hero parade? The JLA fought demonically possessed parade-goers dressed as a variety of Marvel & DC characters, including Captain Marvel (Shazam), Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Adam Strange & Supergirl.

That JLA issue preceeded the Superman issue with the Captain Thunder pastiche, the JLA 135-137 crossover, the All-New Collectors Edition and then the various DC Comics Presents team-ups.

147958.gif.3f2f764543f55bf5faac9be7615c1721.gif

147959.gif.7c205a56d69a802100d93dd594980f17.gif

147960.jpg.14d639176b504e7c37f07fd8d3e9a28e.jpg

It might be worth noting that Superman #276 with the Captain Thunder appearance appears some two years after DC launches the Shazam series. DC still had its multiple universes, so Captain Thunder was a kind of Earth 1 cipher for the Earth S Captain Marvel.

DC was obviously trying to tease the potential conflict between Superman and Captain Marvel, though... Shazam #15 has a Superman cover, and a Lex Luthor appearance. Shazam #30 has a Superman-Captain Marvel battle on its cover, though not in the interior.

If you like Supes/Shazam fights, look no further than Kingdom Come.

Not the first, but the best!

I agree!

What is faster than a speeding bullet? A single bolt of lightning.