• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM- Phantom Lady #18

10 posts in this topic

Not much I need to add by way of description. The scans tell most of the story. Original, no restoration, no tape. The interior pages are so fresh and pretty, OW/W. Tight cover and centerfold at both staples. Book very flat and lustrous. Only a few, very very minor dimples here and there. No unseen creases or indentations.

Just below and to the right of the ten cents circle, what you see there is not color that's rubbed off. It's just a small area that didn't receive its full share of ink from the printer's. Happened all the time with many GA Fox books.

Often, I'll post a book in PGM forum as a prelude to selling it next door in the Selling forum. Not this time. I've wanted one of these for a long long time. Finally found this one at a recent show, here in Minneapolis. It's everything I've always wanted in a PL 18, and more. A keeper.

(BTW, you might notice a vertical stripe running just right of center. That's only my scanner acting goofy, and nothing on the book itself.)

Thanks for offering your grading opinions.

--------------------------------------------------------

pl18a_zps15f57197.jpg

pl18b_zpsc5dffc13.jpg

7.0 IMHO! Very sharp looking book and congratualtions.gif on your acquisition. I think the top of the book is the main concern both front and back covers, a little bit of spine wear and a small discolouration just below the top staple on the back cover.

7.0 to 7.5 seems about right if your right about the issues near the 10 cents are about printing issue versus a color loss or rubbing problem. Very nice book! Congrats!

What appears to be color loss from rubbing, scraping, or circulation, is none of those defects, nor is it a scanner artifact. Many GA Fox covers, on occasion, had areas of various sizes where the printing process simply failed to apply the full amount of color to particular areas of the cover. It's just a minor printing issue, common to Fox books of the period, which I've seen on many other Fox books.

Perhaps someone who knows a lot about GA Fox books will chime in on the issue and back me up.

Besides, the book is otherwise too nice to have suffered that kind of wear, at least through circulation.

7.5 - though I might personally knock a little off for the production defect, i doubt CGC would in this grade. A sweet copy!

Fox books are more prone to printing anomalies than other publishers, but I've seen production color loss from other publishers as well.

7.5 - though I might personally knock a little off for the production defect, i doubt CGC would in this grade. A sweet copy!

Fox books are more prone to printing anomalies than other publishers, but I've seen production color loss from other publishers as well.

So, your 7.5 estimation... is that after knocking a little off for the production defect? And if so, are you saying it might have a shot at an 8.0 from CGC?

So, your 7.5 estimation... is that after knocking a little off for the production defect? And if so, are you saying it might have a shot at an 8.0 from CGC?

That was before extra consideration for the printing flaws, though it would easily have a shot at 8.0 from CGC, especially if the spine corner dings and top dents(?) get pressed out, maybe even higher. Color loss printing flaws I'd have to see in hand, small speckles are common enough in GA (especially Fox) and don't bother me that much, but when they grab the eye, I'm disposed to feel like the grade should reflect that, especially in the higher grades, but not much - maybe a grade increment less.

So short answer - I'd think 7.0 - but would expect higher from CGC.

That was before extra consideration for the printing flaws, though it would easily have a shot at 8.0 from CGC, especially if the spine corner dings and top dents(?) get pressed out, maybe even higher. Color loss printing flaws I'd have to see in hand, small speckles are common enough in GA (especially Fox) and don't bother me that much, but when they grab the eye, I'm disposed to feel like the grade should reflect that, especially in the higher grades, but not much - maybe a grade increment less.

So short answer - I'd think 7.0 - but would expect higher from CGC.

+1