• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yellow Claw #1 - 1st SA marvel?

42 posts in this topic

So where does that leave Yellow Claw #1-#4? A title that predates the pre-hero fantasy books, but postdates even those last few post-code issues of the Sub-Mariner. I don't know that the subsequent retconning of the Yellow Claw and Jimmy Woo into the Marvel Universe alone would make these books part of the Marvel Age, but the Yellow Claw was no doubt a "super-villian" from the start, and a continuing character as well, close enough to a superhero book, that it can't be lumped in with the rest of Atlas' various genre titles and dismissed as irrelevant to SA discussions.

The first issue, with it's cold war espionage storylines, and Joe Maneely art, looks like it has more in common with the Atlas "spy" books from the early-mid 50s, but the Kirby art and the inclusion of more sci-fi tinged stories in issues #2 thru #4, give these books a "silver-age" feel closer to the pre-hero books that were soon to appear.

Any thoughts?

I've decided to agree with your hypothesis dating the start of Marvel's Silver Age to Yellow Claw 1. Part of the reason for that is I've always thought the Yellow Claw title was awesome cool.

;)

So where does that leave Yellow Claw #1-#4? A title that predates the pre-hero fantasy books, but postdates even those last few post-code issues of the Sub-Mariner. I don't know that the subsequent retconning of the Yellow Claw and Jimmy Woo into the Marvel Universe alone would make these books part of the Marvel Age, but the Yellow Claw was no doubt a "super-villian" from the start, and a continuing character as well, close enough to a superhero book, that it can't be lumped in with the rest of Atlas' various genre titles and dismissed as irrelevant to SA discussions.

The first issue, with it's cold war espionage storylines, and Joe Maneely art, looks like it has more in common with the Atlas "spy" books from the early-mid 50s, but the Kirby art and the inclusion of more sci-fi tinged stories in issues #2 thru #4, give these books a "silver-age" feel closer to the pre-hero books that were soon to appear.

Any thoughts?

I've decided to agree with your hypothesis dating the start of Marvel's Silver Age to Yellow Claw 1. Part of the reason for that is I've always thought the Yellow Claw title was awesome cool.

;)

+ 1 ......and another factor is how Marvel was beginning to think outside the box in regard to a continuing series ..... a hallmark of things to come. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u