• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGN is stating that Ant-Man being dumped due to loss of director

51 posts in this topic

IGN is stating that Ant-Man movie is being dumped to due to loss of director and no one wants the director job. I can see a massive sell off of early issues due to this or at the least the prices will start diving. However, this brings hope of having a Black Panther movie to the fold and perhaps replace the Ant Man movie with a Black Panther movie. I guess you could have Ant-man in the sub-plot.

IGN is stating that Ant-Man movie is being dumped to due to loss of director and no one wants the director job. I can see a massive sell off of early issues due to this or at the least the prices will start diving. However, this brings hope of having a Black Panther movie to the fold and perhaps replace the Ant Man movie with a Black Panther movie. I guess you could have Ant-man in the sub-plot.

Link? 'cause I did a quick look at IGN.com and they are not reporting that the Ant-Man movie is being dumped.

Yea I don't think this is a big deal. I don't think Ant-Man could carry a movie on his own. As a member of the Avengers it might work, but by himself I don't think it is great idea…

+1

I have never understood why Ant-Man was going to get his own movie, let alone with a bad guy named "Egghead" - but that did not stop me from selling copies of Marvel Premiere 47 and 48.

Ahh well, the rise and fall of comic movie speculating. Happens with most books.

Link? 'cause I did a quick look at IGN.com and they are not reporting that the Ant-Man movie is being dumped.

I can't find a single source that says the movie is not being made. Just that they are tying to find a director who will stick with the project.

Another Director Passes on Marvel's Ant-Man

4 Jun 2014

Another day, another director bows out of directing Ant-Man, this time in the form of Rawson Thurber.

Best known for his work on Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story as well as last year's surprise hit, We're The Millers, This is Infamous is now reporting that Thurber has turned down the opportunity to direct Marvel's upcoming flick.

A range of other names have been linked to the project as well, including Anchorman's Adam McKay and Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer, though both have since apparently turned down the opportunity to take the reins on the film following Edgar Wright's abrupt departure.

Seeing as the studio is still promising to keep the movie on schedule for a July 17, 2015 release, the pressure is really on to find someone sooner rather than later. With so many big names reportedly jumping ship, however, it's looking increasingly like a poisoned chalice. As soon as we have any more news we'll let you know.

How will this affect Avengers 2? Isn't the Ant-Man movie supposed to be tied into the storyline of that one?

Looking on the bright side, I have more time to get copies of TTA 27 and 35.

+1 - don't see this on their home page...

CBR -

ANT MAN

And the saga continues as multiple sources are quoting this report from This is Infamous which states, "As sources tell us ["Dodgeball" director Rawson] Thurber has indeed passed on the film, sending the studio right back to the drawing board to find someone actually willing to touch this movie with a 10-foot pole." Earlier reports stated Thurber was under consideration, but it seems Marvel's conditions on this film are making it poisonous to any director they approach. With the release date a year away, it turns out Hank Pym and Scott Lang are the first real threats to Marvel Studios' dominance of the movies.

Well, here we are at the mid-week point and the "Ant Man" news has, somehow, taken an even further unfortunate turn. Could it just be the curse of Hank Pym working its way out of the Two Dimensional Ideaspace and into the inner workings of corporate machinations in our reality? Maybe that's too much of a Grant Morrison idea for the Disney lot. You almost have to wonder if they might pull up stakes and shuffle "Doctor Strange" -- or make a quick-n-dirty "Hawkeye" movie based on the Matt Fraction book -- into the July 17 slot. But as this article from Grantland suggests, Marvel has to prove it is the intellectual property, not the individual creator, that matters. Funny how Marvel has to fight this battle every few years.

The most intriguing thing about Ant Man was the story of a man who beat his wife and sort of reedemed himself to be a hero. I think the best and most intriguing story would be an Ant Man and Wasp movie. They could turn it into a trilogy of sorts. Guy and girl fall in love in the first. Guy looses something and becomes a drunk and beats his wife. Then in the end he sort of redeems himself somehow in the third.

I don't think it'd make a good movie though because it might seem like it is supporting domestic abuse or something. It'd be tough to pull off.

Now it would make a great dark and gritty Netflix show with Kevin Spacey...

Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't seen anything that confirms that "IGN is stating that Ant Man is being dumped due to loss of director"

If it's true could you post a link to it please?