• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random drunken thoughts.

57 posts in this topic

Random thoughts for me are I like reading comic books on tablets now in digital form, and love reading them in Omnibus and trade paperback form as opposed to reading them as a single issue. Also I tried to read some comic books from the late 1970s to 1980s for the first time in many years and found the form unappealing with cheap newsprint and loaded with advertisements. It`s strange how nostalgia clouded my mind that comic books were really not manufactured poorly when I was a kid. hm

I actually hate the new paper - hard on the eyes with all the glossy glare.

Most of my comics are raw. I have well over 20K comics in my collection. A lot of the high dollar back issues I have bought are CGCed just for the resto check ( :wishluck:) and the set grade. (I own 141 slabbed comics) Buying a comic that's over 1K that's not graded scares me. If the seller bumps the grade on raw comic for a few extra bucks, and I just go along with him, which has happened more times then I can count, if this happens with high value comics we are talking about 100s if not 1000s of dollars.

Due to my OCD I own so many comics that reprint the issues I have slabbed. So if I wanted to read most of them I can, in some form or another.

But I know exactly what the OP is getting at, I love cracking open a back issue and reading it, and of course smelling the old paper like a crack head. :cloud9: Sometimes if the story stinks, I enjoy smelling the comic more then reading it. :insane:

I buy and sell to make money to buy the comics I want. My hobby is almost fully self-funded. I wouldn't have the discipline to strictly be a seller/speculator, the temptation to keep books for myself instead of selling would be overwhelming.

I like collecting comics, always have - but I don't read the books I own anymore, I read those issues digitally now. I will say that the downside to a lot of digital back issues is that all the cool ads are removed.

Man, I am a comic nut. A real comic enthusiast. I buy graded, raw, I read monthly's, trade paper backs, hardcovers.... I primarily buy and rarely sell. I collect statues and art. Really, I love the entire industry. I read comics a few days every week. I visit my local shop at least 2-3 times a month on Wednesdays.

I love my collection. I love all my books (the cheap monthly drek 90's stuff or the slabbed keys). Comics go beyond a collection to me, they really are a passion.

I mostly collect slabbed comics, I mostly read digital comics. I haven't sold any comics yet. Does this make me a bad collector?

No. I very rarely sell anything. The last few times I did....it was doubles I had that friends on here needed. And I got more enjoyment out of helping someone find the comic they were looking for....then the money they paid for the item. :cloud9:

I mostly collect slabbed comics, I mostly read digital comics. I haven't sold any comics yet. Does this make me a bad collector?

No. I very rarely sell anything. The last few times I did....it was doubles I had that friends on here needed. And I got more enjoyment out of helping someone find the comic they were looking for....then the money they paid for the item. :cloud9:

You're just a good man :foryou:

You're just a good man :foryou:

Thanks. :foryou:

Alot of people are looking to make a mint selling comics. Squeezing every last penny out of every deal. :sick:

I am a dealer first, I still have a monthly pull list as well. I enjoy reading new books, I find them to be well written and exciting. I have a few hundred slabs in my collection, primarily Detective Comics. I rarely if at all buy anything for myself anymore, and just seem to have more "inventory". The only thing I really care about is my Detectives and my GA books anyways. Everything else is blaaaahhh.

Has anyone said, "What and how I collect rules and what and how you collect drools" yet?

Dan

Collecting bigots, the lot of them!

Random thoughts for me are I like reading comic books on tablets now in digital form, and love reading them in Omnibus and trade paperback form as opposed to reading them as a single issue. Also I tried to read some comic books from the late 1970s to 1980s for the first time in many years and found the form unappealing with cheap newsprint and loaded with advertisements. It`s strange how nostalgia clouded my mind that comic books were really not manufactured poorly when I was a kid. hm

I actually hate the new paper - hard on the eyes with all the glossy glare.

Agreed. When they first started using it I hated the way the light would reflect off of it. I didn't mind it so much on the oversized graphic novels though as those seemed "special".

Anyone remember Baxter paper? I do miss the smell of newsprint when I get new comics.

Oh yeah, Marvel Fanfare. :cloud9:

That stuff was awesome because it felt like newsprint but the colours just popped!