• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge of Tomorrow

57 posts in this topic

I thought the movie was great and the whole theatre was packed. From what I under stand the movie has solid numbers over this weekend as well.

The actual box office receipts from the opening weekend would not bear out your understanding. It is a flop.

I thought the movie was great and the whole theatre was packed. From what I under stand the movie has solid numbers over this weekend as well.

The actual box office receipts from the opening weekend would not bear out your understanding. It is a flop.

Less than John Carter and Pacific Rim has to hurt. It will do better overseas, but domestic box office is what the studios are hoping to capture.

So, with foreign box office receipts eclipsing domestic receipts, will it always be the case that the domestic box office numbers are the most important of the numbers? I know today, it seems like that is the case according to everything I read, but I have to imagine we are quickly approaching a point where it won't be the case.

When do the studios say "screw domestic box office, foreign box office is where it is at"?

Less than John Carter and Pacific Rim has to hurt. It will do better overseas, but domestic box office is what the studios are hoping to capture.

So, with foreign box office receipts eclipsing domestic receipts, will it always be the case that the domestic box office numbers are the most important of the numbers? I know today, it seems like that is the case according to everything I read, but I have to imagine we are quickly approaching a point where it won't be the case.

When do the studios say "screw domestic box office, foreign box office is where it is at"?

I think the financial aspects of movies these days are complicated, but my understanding is that studios get a much larger fraction of the domestic gross.

Tom Cruise gets a bad rap in my opinion. Regardless of his private life he's a great actor.

I agree. Even when I haven't been crazy about one of his movies, I rarely think he's turned in a bad performance.

But here we have a big-budget summer movie that gets backed by an extensive marketing campaign and receives rave reviews ... and it stills tanks at the box office. Major blow to his career, I think.

I think the financial aspects of movies these days are complicated, but my understanding is that studios get a much larger fraction of the domestic gross.

Last time I looked into it the figures were around 54.5% of domestic gross and 15% of international gross.

Tom just generally makes good choices with the material and people he works with.

He's probably the only "bankable" star in his age group or thereabouts.

If you had to choose between Cruise, Kevin Costner, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, ... and as much as I hate to say it, George Clooney... I think Tom would be your best bet at making money.

hm

Not for a long time. The margins from North American sales are still generally better than overseas. You have to sell a lot more tickets in China to reach $100 million than in the US.

Sci Fi is dead. Sad as I thought the movie was really enjoyable too.

I don't think sci-fi is dead, just Tom Cruise in terms of box office appeal.

I wouldn't say that. To the casual observer, Edge of Tomorrow just looks like another alien invasion film, too similar to Oblivion and Elysium. Marketing could be blamed for not differentiating this film from those like it.

With sequels announced for Jack Reacher, Top Gun, and Mission Impossible, the studios must still see green when it comes to Cruise.

Tom just generally makes good choices with the material and people he works with.

He's probably the only "bankable" star in his age group or thereabouts.

If you had to choose between Cruise, Kevin Costner, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, ... and as much as I hate to say it, George Clooney... I think Tom would be your best bet at making money.

hm

All of them have had disappointing results lately.

Better to go with Brad Pitt or Leonard Dicaprio as they still get big box office.

Sci Fi is dead. Sad as I thought the movie was really enjoyable too.

I don't think sci-fi is dead, just Tom Cruise in terms of box office appeal.

I wouldn't say that. To the casual observer, Edge of Tomorrow just looks like another alien invasion film, too similar to Oblivion and Elysium. Marketing could be blamed for not differentiating this film from those like it.

With sequels announced for Jack Reacher, Top Gun, and Mission Impossible, the studios must still see green when it comes to Cruise.

That`s how I felt. I had visions of another Oblivion in my head. So,I will Red Box it like I did for the other big sci-fi aliens take over the world flicks like Oblivion and Elysium.

just saw it, liked it alot, Emily Blunt is hot, but she's in that dang metal fighting suit almost the whole time,. lol

for those that haven't seen it, think "Aliens 2" meets "Groundhogs Day", fun flick.

(thumbs u Agree.

The end felt a little contrived, but it was an entertaining flick.

Tom Cruise, love him or hate him, delivers. Emily was fine too ;)

To the casual observer, Edge of Tomorrow just looks like another alien invasion film, too similar to Oblivion and Elysium. Marketing could be blamed for not differentiating this film from those like it.

I think you nailed it. Combined with huge pent up demand (apparently) for a quality 'date movie'/tearjerker.

I hope to go today and noticing something odd at my theater. The Fault in Our Stars has 9 showtimes, Maleficent has 10, etc...

Edge of Tomorrow has 2 showtimes: 2:30 & 8:30 (unless you do the 3D). Maybe that's killing it too? (shrug) Not everyone's into the higher priced 3D.

Edge of Tomorrow is much better than Oblivion or Elysium.

It will be interesting to see how it does when all is said and done. Its $29.1 million domestic opening was almost beaten out by a $25 million opening weekend in China. That is a solid figure there, especially if it ends up having legs.