• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grouchy Comic Dealers...

What are your honest thoughts on flipping?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. What are your honest thoughts on flipping?

47 posts in this topic

I think there are two separate issues being discussed. One is not knowing the market. If you deal in comics and are upset because your books are being flipped for much more than you sold the book, get off your and learn the market. Keep up on trends. Research.

The other issue is selling books for their current market value and then seeing the book appreciate. I really don't get this. If you're a dealer, isn't the point to sell your books, hopefully at market value at an acceptable profit margin? No one can see the future, and no one can have everything.

I hope its not apocalypse as I am going go be in the area for vacation and that store is quite close to my hotel

No, Apocalypse is great. They have an amazing selection of pretty much everything. Very clean and bright store with something for everyone. :)

Peace,

Chip

I think there are two separate issues being discussed. One is not knowing the market. If you deal in comics and are upset because your books are being flipped for much more than you sold the book, get off your and learn the market. Keep up on trends. Research.

The other issue is selling books for their current market value and then seeing the book appreciate. I really don't get this. If you're a dealer, isn't the point to sell your books, hopefully at market value at an acceptable profit margin? No one can see the future, and no one can have everything.

+1

full time dealers sell books and if the books that they have sold goes up in value in the buyers hands, that is not an issue as it makes the buyer happy

the dealer just buys those books at a higher price and resells them at a premium

for full time dealers its all about cash flow

the part time dealers that would have remorse are the part time ones

who just do e-bay and conventions (thumbs u

I hope its not apocalypse as I am going go be in the area for vacation and that store is quite close to my hotel

No, Apocalypse is great. They have an amazing selection of pretty much everything. Very clean and bright store with something for everyone. :)

Peace,

Chip

I agree. I stop by there every time I'm in Myrtle Beach.

Once its out of my hands I could care less. If I don't get what I want from it I don't sell it. Why would I worry if someone else flips it chances are I am flipping it. Lots of time I buy books just to read with plans of reselling. As long as I break even or just take a small loss I am happy.

I had a dealer tell me he wouldn't do business with me ever again because I made too much money from him.

I wanted a book he had. So did several other people

Everyone made offers on the book (one well known shark offered half of what others did). I made a very strong offer - stronger than everyone else did (I didn't know what the other offers were he just told me mine was the strongest). I bought the book and it ended up grading favorably for me (luck of the draw) and I sold it for a ton.

Dealer found out, said he can't afford to leave money on the table like that and said he'll never deal with me again. :facepalm:

I explained that he sold me an $800 book with a hidden water stain inside and the book was worth less than a quarter of that but I never complained or asked for a refund. Didn't matter. He never replied.

If they're emotional, reason doesn't matter.

I've since smoothed it out with said dealer as I believe in building bridges but I never understood the logic he initially used.

Don't look back and worry. It's never going to be productive.

Freakin babies YOU CHOSE TO SELL IT AT THAT PRICE STOP THE WHINING

unbelievable

Some people are just grumbly, no matter what.

I bought a book, sold it to a friend who really wanted (at a large profit, but still a deal), and the book has doubled from there.

Do I think about the book? Yeah, but only because I really liked it. Does it bother me that I left profit on the table? Sure, but I temper that by remembering that I sold it to someone that I like, and that I knew would really enjoy having it in their collection, and that makes me feel better about it. Also, the money from that book went into purchasing the favorite book in my collection, so. . .

If I stumbled on a huge cache of GA keys I'd give my buddy Cap #1 for free cause he wants it so bad

I don't mind a person making money off me.

I have no problem selling books to upgraders.

I have no problem selling books to dealers.

I mind that a person lies for a better discount by telling me it is for their collection and they flip the book.

I mind that a person lies for a better discount by telling me it is for their collection and they flip the book.

Especially on an Action 1

+1 (thumbs u

I ask what I want for the goods I sell and after that, more power to them. I want repeat business and people have to feel they've won something to get them back in. It doesn't matter if it is reality or perception, a win is a win. 2c

:baiting: aren't you on vacation. Why are you wasting time in here.

What's up dude ? lol

I take the wife and kids to attractions off and on all day. I love comics so a lot of my down time is spent reading and relaxing and believe it or not, this is relaxing to me. SDCC is closing in. You giving play by play this year ?

Well said. :applause:

I do not waste my time looking into other people’s pockets - what they profit or lose on a book is none of my business.

Resentment and justifiable anger are dubious luxuries that I cannot afford.

No one has ever held a gun to my head at either end of a deal.

The choice to purchase or sell a book has been and always will be mine.

I do not waste my time looking into other people’s pockets - what they profit or lose on a book is none of my business.

Resentment and justifiable anger are dubious luxuries that I cannot afford.

No one has ever held a gun to my head at either end of a deal.

The choice to purchase or sell a book has been and always will be mine.

great post (thumbs u

I could care less if someone wants to flip a book I'm offering. I just don't want to hear some bs story/excuse for why I should give them a deal.

People lie to get a deal. It drives me nuts. Business is business. Let's negotiate. I'm not going to give you a deal because it's for "your kid".