• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 CGC 9.8+ Scan and Photo Library
1 1

130 posts in this topic

Yeah, there are definitely a lot more now, and no doubt many more still out there. I think when I bought my #3 in 9.8 there were only four on the census. Fortunately I didn't pay the top price or even the top price of the past five years, but recent CL results show the book goes for less than half of what I paid. That's OK, this isn't one I ever have any intention of selling. And it's really the only high ticket book I ever took a bath on (so far) so it might as well be for one of my favorite books of all-time.

[...] this isn't one I ever have any intention of selling. And it's really the only high ticket book I ever took a bath on (so far) so it might as well be for one of my favorite books of all-time.

Well, same here, prices are just a curiosity to watch. As my dear wife often points out, I could not even dream about selling my top Conan books :-)

And yes, CLink prices are often lower, but CConnect did send out a printed event auction catalog (and emails a few hours before ending auctions) that may explain the high or record prices (and they extend auctions in case of late bids, increasing chances of "bidding wars").

Rune,

Many thanks for the hard work and dedication put into the gallery. It was nice to stroll through the "museum" and see some items from my younger days. I have some of the BWS issues, though probably not high grade and it takes time to pull books from my collection to just admire the covers. Gotta love technology even though I'd prefer holding the original and admiring it.

I'm partial to remembering #24, the 1st Red Sophia appearance. Oops, meant "Sonja", I'm currently reading Cerebus. The page one splash comes to mind most vividly. BWS at his finest.

James

You're welcome, thanks. Actually I have not yet read Cerebus, but did finish the Opus 1 and 2, although not easily - Windsor-Smith seems a lot better at drawing/painting than writing. Still a good read, (especially for those who wish to know more about Barry Windsors-Smith's life and views upon the Universe,) even if the Conan parts are few and far between:

OPUS 1

windsorsmith_opus1_cvr.jpg

OPUS 2

2003971-02.jpg

Thank you for the kind comments regarding my old ow/w #18 as having the best presentation. You're right, it does!

It hails from the same original owner collection that produced the #21 9.9 (which I also owned and could provide a much better scan with some digging). While I liked the #18, it was never one I planned to hold forever so sat on it as the only 9.8 copy until I saw another finally come along and got it to market fast! $2500, thank you very much :)

Thank you for the kind comments regarding my old ow/w #18 as having the best presentation. You're right, it does!

It hails from the same original owner collection that produced the #21 9.9 (which I also owned and could provide a much better scan with some digging). While I liked the #18, it was never one I planned to hold forever so sat on it as the only 9.8 copy until I saw another finally come along and got it to market fast! $2500, thank you very much :)

Thanks, of course *cough!* I still have your original CLink photo - makes your book look much nicer than the CConnect scan:

16062014-4.jpg

Whenever possible I do have scans of the back covers too, haven't uploaded those though (maybe some day).

I never thought that this scan collection would be a way of reuniting previous owners with their sold Conan books, but of course it may work as that too! :grin:

Doc Joe's old copy of #19 just emerged on EBay starting at $395 - and nice centering too (Doc Joe always had an eye for these details). Some 9.8 #19s have sold for about 2K, even OW-W:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conan-the-Barbarian-19-cgc-9-8-ow-w-pages-Barry-Smith-cover-interior-art-/171379208423?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

$_57.JPG

Unbelievable books - I am amazed and appreciate seeing these in one collection. (worship)

Thank you :grin: , maybe I should start a magazine section with the Barry Smith Savage Tales books (#1 to 3) hm I think I have more than 50% scans of these 9.8 books :blush:

Unbelievable books - I am amazed and appreciate seeing these in one collection. (worship)

Thank you :grin: , maybe I should start a magazine section with the Barry Smith Savage Tales books (#1 to 3) hm I think I have more than 50% scans of these 9.8 books :blush:

:applause:

But first things first :idea: Got a question about SS books the other day and checked Census:

SS 9.6+ books #1 to #24 plus Annual #1

#1: 1 book in 9.8 and 3 books in 9.6.

#2: 0

#3: 0

#4: 1 book in 9.6.

#5: 0

#6: 0

#7: 0

#8: 0

#9: 0

#10: 0

#11: 0

#12: 0

#13: 0

#14: 0

#15: 1 book in 9.6.

#16: 0

#17: 0

#18: 0

#19: 0

#20: 0

#21: 0

#22: 0

#23: 2 books in 9.6.

#24: 2 books in 9.8 and 2 books in 9.6.

Annual #1: 0

In total, just 3 SS books in 9.8 and 9 books in 9.6. I have found 2/3 of the 9.8 SS books and 3/9 of the 9.6 SS books, but I did find 2 9.6 books signed by Barry Windsor-Smith (quite rare and hard to find), see them all here:

Conan the Barbarian Signature Series 9.6+

(I know, I know, I should not mix 9.6 books in this thread (tsk) , but then there are only 3 SS books - and we lose all the Barry Windsor-Smith signed books, so I hope it is ok the bend the Matrix just a little here :whistle: )

Savage Tales #1 to #3 books in 9.8 have now been added:

Savage Tales #1 - #3 CGC 9.8

I have 6/13 of #1 (ok, should have saved the scan of Barry James' book, when he bought it on EBay January 2014, but I forgot :cry::facepalm: )

I have 3/3 of #2! :whee::acclaim:

I have 1/4 of #3 :pullhair: (yes, could have had 1 or 2 more, did not save the scans back then :sorry: )

They are so impossible to find, will of course continue my search! :busy:

sig.jpg

[Anticipated Question:]

"Rune :baiting: , you have added Signature Series and Savage Tales books, why have you not separated the (worship)Pedigree books (worship) from the baseborn books? :mad: "

Sorry, forgive me, pedigree books have now been added to their own folder :sorry:;)

Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 (and Annual #1) 9.8+ Pedigree Books

Would have been nice to add Topnot's #1 Boston book (the only #1 9.8 pedigree book?), and CarlD's two super-rare Suscha News 9.8 books, namely #11 and #12, maybe someday :wishluck:

If the books do not appear chronologically in the folder, then select "oldest first" (instead of for example filename or title).

Currently, about 75% of the pedigree books are from the Suscha News Pedigree Collection.

PS. No-no-no, I will not create a new folder for WP books (shrug)

Today's addition, the first pedigree Conan #10 9.8 with nice registration and WP:

0919393010FWPDonMaggieThompsonCollection_zps956242c7.jpg

Get it here:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7097&lotNo=93557&type=wlem&wlc=335583994

I guess this song may be a perfect extension to my previous "get it here" sentence lol :

(ok, tomorrow will not be too late, there's still 22 days (thumbs u )