• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteran young guy vs Rookie old guy posted by Mad Cop

18 posts in this topic

Am I in this transition?

I recently sold something very near and dear to my heart; my 1998 Corvette coupe. It was a college graduation gift I bought myself back in 2000. I had many good times with it, but I'm at a point where it doesn't make sense to have it. My wife hates it and my son is 3 and can't ride in it for another 10 years. So I sold it to someone who is in a point in his life that he can get maximum value out of a cool car, ie no family.

Which gets me back to my original question, where do you go from veteran young guy to rookie old guy? Is it a certain age? Is it how you feel or decisions you make? I'm not yet 40 and don't feel old but does young guy sell the car when he doesn't need the money? I don't know.

Now how does all this relate to the society? Well I've spent some of the proceeds on upgrading my sets, most notably my Detective 27-200 set, which has helped me reach and surpass the 50,000 total points mark. So I guess at this moment, comics are cooler than Corvettes and that makes me feel older.

See more journals by Mad Cop

You know you're old when you start despising the music and pulp culture of the current generation.

You know you're old when you catch yourself talking about your lawn with an element of aesthetic concern.

You know you're old when you wear pants with a stretchable waist and roam your neighborhood picking up trash with an "extended reacher/grabber" as shown below:

grabber_zps2be4cc38.jpg

I've always wanted a Vette, but now I'm old because I realize only three things could happen:

1. I'd get killed in it. Hopefully I wouldn't take anyone else out with me.

2. I'll get more tickets.

3. I'll get a ticket bad enough where I'd go straight to jail or lose my license.

I know I'm old because I'd rather put the money in my 401K.

Wait till you're 50,you'll buy the Vette again. lol

This is so true, it's scary. WAY too many old guys running around in cars they cannot drive.

As for myself, I have the fancy sport car AND a great collection. I made the choice to never have kids, though.

So all in all, what you choose for your life is what you choose. Enjoy that Vette when you're fifty. lol

I would have sold the Vette and put it in an IRA... or some safe stock with a decent dividend.

But heck... I'm one of the old guys.

At least you have your memories of all those good times you and the Vette saw together.

Now the real journey begins.

SW3D

I have the house paid for, the car paid for and the collection paid for. Mainly cause I also chose to not have kids or a family. I'm turning 41 in two days and everyone says I look like I'm 30, so I'm not complaining.

:)

Knew a man who had a Massive stroke...couldn't talk or barely walk after it...but he could find the strength at 67 or so, to get into his 83? Chrystler La Baron (sp?) and cruise around the neighborhood. There he was...a man who as a stroke victim and can barely move his limbs is driving his car. Wha?. But there he goes...off in the neighborhood...gray hair flowing like clouds. I always Loved seeing Mr. Cude fly through the 'hood, knowing he was in absolute discordance to what is expected. Veteran. Hard. A . But someone you could always open enough to Love.

I have the house paid for, the car paid for and the collection paid for. Mainly cause I also chose to not have kids or a family. I'm turning 41 in two days and everyone says I look like I'm 30, so I'm not complaining.

You sound like the worlds most interesting man lol...is that you on the Dos Equis commercial lol? I've got buddies with kids etc... I agree they don't have as much fun. I'm going to get married soon and I feel like my lifestyle is changing as well. I see stayin young as a personality trait and the way you treat your body of course.

You sound like the worlds most interesting man lol...is that you on the Dos Equis commercial lol? I've got buddies with kids etc... I agree they don't have as much fun. I'm going to get married soon and I feel like my lifestyle is changing as well. I see stayin young as a personality trait and the way you treat your body of course.

This is very true. Eat right and taking care of your body will make everything easier down the road. But it is hard giving up a car you love. I had an S2000 for a while and miss it every day. But I replaced it with a WRX, thats paid off now. So it wasn't such a bad trade.

Amen Brother !

Now we need to form the worlds most rocking band!

SW3D

I'm all over that! I'm the frontman! Unless you already have a frontman, then I'm on drums. Unless you already have both. Then I'm on bass.

lol

I don't always try to stay young, but when I do, I look ten years younger than I am.

Stay young my friends.

lol

I totally agree with treating your body and mind right for longetivity and youthfulness. I also believe in being giving and helpful to others. It comes back to you in the end in often surprising ways.

lol

I don't always try to stay young, but when I do, I look ten years younger than I am.

Stay young my friends.

lol

I totally agree with treating your body and mind right for longetivity and youthfulness. I also believe in being giving and helpful to others. It comes back to you in the end in often surprising ways.

no disrespect, sounds like a good life, but I'm not sure its sounds quite as interesting as mmanick thinks it is. Just sounds like you paid your bills (an accomplishment no doubt), but maybe our definitions of interesting are different. ha

Reading these comments got me thinking about how at work, we talk about our job, our mortgages and our family life (my co-workers with families of their own) and how this is the only place I can talk about comics any more. I also get this shape, stabbing pain in hip every now and then when I walking down the hall at work.