• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I made a mistake on eBay as well (like 1Cool)

208 posts in this topic

People like to turn on each other here. I wish I understood why. We all love comics and are in this crazy society together. I just don't get the hate.

Peace,

Chip

Who is hating? Just because we are all here on this board doesn't mean we automatically have to support one another. I have no vendetta against CC. I just thought that in this particular case he's dead wrong and it looks like he tried to pass the buck on to the bidder instead of owning up to his mistake. If I was "hating" on him, I would've probably said it looked like he intentionally deceived the bidders with a bait-and-switch listing. Which I definitely did not do.

As I noted in my first post, there seems to be a lot of people that have a real issue with taking responsibility and/or admitting fault. It's not just CC I was commenting on. I see it an awful lot here. And it's not just in eBay threads (although you definitely see it a lot there). In discussions too.

Not only is there an issue with people taking responsibility for their mistakes, but there's also an issue with people putting their business out there for public consumption, and then playing the victim card by characterizing the response as trollish or snarky because it isn't congruent with how they feel.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them. And if a bunch of people are telling you the same thing, maybe try putting the ego in park and consider what is being said.

Can someone explain the genesis of the "cool books" motif? I see it a lot on here, and do understand its meaning, but is there an origin or back story?

It's simple. You can be the biggest person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed around, but if you have "cool books" to sell, people will buy from and befriend you.

And defend you, as if good inventory is equivalent to good content of character.

I don't think you have to like someone to do business with them; that's an individual call, and this is a relatively small hobby. But it's odd that some people will project their successful transactions with someone onto other people's transactions with that person, and in the event of a disagreement make a judgment on that basis.

It's possible to not like someone and do business with them. That is up to the individual. That's true.

I think the judgment being made here is on people putting a comic book (or stamp, or piece of art, or other material object or collectible) as the primary moving force in their decision making.

That's truly where "cool books" comes from. People willing to ignore the most juvenile, disgusting, unprofessional, immature and hurtful behavior, along with potentially dangerous personality disorders, as long as the person has sweet merch. to be had at bargain prices.

To me, it's pretty much impossible to deal with someone I can't also respect. Because if I lower myself to dealing with someone I can't respect (all for something as dumb as a comic) I don't think I could respect myself either.

Can someone explain the genesis of the "cool books" motif? I see it a lot on here, and do understand its meaning, but is there an origin or back story?

It's simple. You can be the biggest person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed around, but if you have "cool books" to sell, people will buy from and befriend you.

And defend you, as if good inventory is equivalent to good content of character.

I don't think you have to like someone to do business with them; that's an individual call, and this is a relatively small hobby. But it's odd that some people will project their successful transactions with someone onto other people's transactions with that person, and in the event of a disagreement make a judgment on that basis.

It's possible to not like someone and do business with them. That is up to the individual. That's true.

I think the judgment being made here is on people putting a comic book (or stamp, or piece of art, or other material object or collectible) as the primary moving force in their decision making.

That's truly where "cool books" comes from. People willing to ignore the most juvenile, disgusting, unprofessional, immature and hurtful behavior, along with potentially dangerous personality disorders, as long as the person has sweet merch. to be had at bargain prices.

To me, it's pretty much impossible to deal with someone I can't also respect. Because if I lower myself to dealing with someone I can't respect (all for something as dumb as a comic) I don't think I could respect myself either.

Personally, I feel the same way, and I don't do business with people I don't respect. But if a friend of mine chose to do business with a jerkwad, with the idea that business is business, I wouldn't judge them for it. But it would fry me if my friend took it a step further and defended that person against valid criticism just because they have stuff he wants. That's a little too gross for me.

Personally, I feel the same way, and I don't do business with people I don't respect. But if a friend of mine chose to do business with a jerkwad, with the idea that business is business, I wouldn't judge them for it. But it would fry me if my friend took it a step further and defended that person against valid criticism just because they have stuff he wants. That's a little too gross for me.

OR... if that seller had done (did) YOU wrong and yet your friend still did business with him?

+1

That's kind of the core of it. The equation of "cool books" to "good person". If you are going to do business with a guy who is a red-assed baboon don't run around telling people it's really blue.

I've seen worse, of course, sellers who are not simply jerks but are actively dishonest or potentially dangerous. When friends choose to deal with them I can't help but apply the "lay down with dogs and get up with fleas" axiom. I think it's ok to use that information if someone is willing to deal with anyone just for books.

OR... if that seller had done (did) YOU wrong and yet your friend still did business with him?

I guess it would depend on the severity of the "wrong". That's the tricky thing with discussions like these because transgressions happen in degrees, and even the degree to which something is 'wrong' varies with perspective and each individual's moral compass. In general however, I'm not going to tell my friends who they should or shouldn't deal with based on who I like or don't like, but it would be an uncomfortable situation if the seller in question had scammed me, or done something else along those lines.

I guess it would depend on the severity of the "wrong". That's the tricky thing with discussions like these because transgressions happen in degrees, and even the degree to which something is 'wrong' varies with perspective and each individual's moral compass. In general however, I'm not going to tell my friends who they should or shouldn't deal with based on who I like or don't like, but it would be an uncomfortable situation if the seller in question had scammed me, or done something else along those lines.

This.

I don't have any expectations of my friends giving a rusty fudge who I like or dislike and basing their buying decisions off of that but when the seller or buyer in question has screwed well,anyone really or has publicly (which is always helpful) exposed themselves as shady or is just a general sociopathic nutjob, then I do expect them to steer clear of these and not celebrate them after some PM rehab and a couple of cheap sales.

What is going on with this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-DETECTIVE-COMICS-23-1-POISON-IVY-1-3D-FIRST-PRINT-COVER-CGC-9-6-/301130075654?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item461cc04e06

I can understand how CC made a mistake. This seller listing a 9.8 picture with 9.6 in the title/description doesn't seem cool to me. I know the title is more important as many people never make it past that but I can't imagine seriously bidding on something without having read the whole auction listing.

Columbia Comics' message to his potential customers on ebay

Order with confidence! You’ll never regret doing business with Columbia Comics! We have been serving collectors for over 10 years with great service and the highest integrity!

We strive for and attain 100% customer service satisfaction!

Guess this just a bunch of BS to get you to bid.

Least I stand behind what I say, even if other don't like my opinion/comments

This is just plain greed kicking in.

So, this time it is a 9.8 but listed as a 9.6 instead of the other way around. Does that mean if someone only pays the 9.6 price he is going to demand the difference be made up to him after the auction ends? Perhaps a little more attention to detail should be done when listing slabs in the future.

+1

Another side of this is Deep Pockets.

You can be the biggest person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed around, but if you buy the right books from the right people, you become a "well respected member".

Indeed, the "Baller Principle". Make it rain Benjamins on a regular enough basis and you could run your house like Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch, and still have people lined up to nominate you for humanitarian awards and to smooch your bright white heinie.

What is it called when someone can be the biggest person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed around, but if they contribute to a worthy cause here they're suddenly granted sainthood?

Indulgence?

IIRC, an indulgence was when people would give $ to the church to pay off their past sins.

What do you think CC would pay CGC to make this thread he started to disappear?

Jim

What was the point of this thread?

I'm sure I've had my share of typos on eBay, takes about 1 minute to cancel the bids, and relist. I've even written to the bidders to apologize and tell them I'll be relisting.

As for the 2nd chance bidder...his bid has been artificially bumped up a bit, it's more fair to the bidder to relist it correctly.

Before we did everything electronically, I used to say "this is why we have erasers on pencils".;) Make a mistake, fix it...done