• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT VOL. 2 #6

52 posts in this topic

Picked this up along with #7 in a group of books at an auction years

ago. Is this issue considered the first STAR-LORD?

14382821174_490c6b513a.jpg

mm

Star-Lord debuted in Marvel Preview 4, and is also featured in MP 11, 14, 15, 18, and in Marvel Super Special 10, all of which pre-date Marvel Spotlight V.2 6 -- so that book is in NO way the character's 1st or even 2nd appearance.

First appearance in a non-magazine format comic book? Yes...but movie hype notwithstanding, it's still the "first appearance" of a character who had been around for 4 years or so at that point...

Star-Lord debuted in Marvel Preview 4, and is also featured in MP 11, 14, 15, 18, and in Marvel Super Special 10, all of which pre-date Marvel Spotlight V.2 6 -- so that book is in NO way the character's 1st or even 2nd appearance.

First appearance in a non-magazine format comic book? Yes...but movie hype notwithstanding, it's still the "first appearance" of a character who had been around for 4 years or so at that point...

So it's not a 1st appearance but it is a 1st appearance, got it.

So it's not a 1st appearance but it is a 1st appearance, got it.

More like: "It's not the first appearance, but it is a first appearance"...which, now that I read what I just wrote, still seems...silly...

First appearance in comic book format. It has a ton of upside potential if you believe the Starlord character in GOTG will generate interest. If it does than it should compare favorably to Hulk 271 and look where that has gone in the last year.

Check the inventory and price on EBay as it has already seen a nice spike and is very hard to find in high grades. Most of the current inventory is in the fine to VF range and is selling at high buy it now prices. My guess is folks are having the pristine copies graded and holding onto their copies. Also helps that this likely did not have a high print run and most copies spent most of their lives in the dollar bins and were trashed.

The market will speak soon with the hype machine about to turn up to full throttle and I would bet this has a lot higher to go. Check out how the promos are focussing on Starlord because Chris Pratt is just a funny dude.

First appearance in comic book format. It has a ton of upside potential if you believe the Starlord character in GOTG will generate interest. If it does than it should compare favorably to Hulk 271 and look where that has gone in the last year.

It's not the same thing, as Hulk 271 is conceivably the "First Appearance of Rocket Racoon" and even if you take into consideration the "Rocky" prototype in MP 7, it's still his second appearance ever, and his First Cover Appearance, which is very important in the CGC age.

MS 6 is none of those things.

Check the inventory and price on EBay as it has already seen a nice spike and is very hard to find in high grades. Most of the current inventory is in the fine to VF range and is selling at high buy it now prices. My guess is folks are having the pristine copies graded and holding onto their copies. Also helps that this likely did not have a high print run and most copies spent most of their lives in the dollar bins and were trashed.

The market will speak soon with the hype machine about to turn up to full throttle and I would bet this has a lot higher to go. Check out how the promos are focussing on Starlord because Chris Pratt is just a funny dude.

I don't think it will ever get to the level of Hulk 271, as was mentioned there have been multiple appearances before this. I have been picking these up for $1-3 and yes, high grade are tough to find. This has been in the bargain bins for a while.

I don't think it will ever get to the level of Hulk 271, as was mentioned there have been multiple appearances before this. I have been picking these up for $1-3 and yes, high grade are tough to find. This has been in the bargain bins for a while.

Aside from the fact that he's a stoopid 4th tier character . . . lol

Hey, but I was wrong about Crossbones. (shrug)

It's not the same thing, as Hulk 271 is conceivably the "First Appearance of Rocket Racoon" and even if you take into consideration the "Rocky" prototype in MP 7, it's still his second appearance ever, and his First Cover Appearance, which is very important in the CGC age.

MS 6 is none of those things.

Yup, comparing it to Hulk 271 is not a good comparison.

Aside from the fact that he's a stoopid 4th tier character . . . lol

Hey, but I was wrong about Crossbones. (shrug)

In the past couple of years we have learned about the great impact a successful movie can have. Did Batroc books ever pickup though?

I believe the book has potential because Starlord is the team leader and seems to have a ton of screen time and one liners in this movie. Chris Pratt is also a rising star and is likely signed to a multi picture option. Funny character, rising actor and the lead in a potential block buster movie. Not a bad combo.

I like the Batroc character in Cap 2 but he was not one of the central characters in this movie and was not even named as crossbones. You had to have some fanboy knowledge to know who he was. His character is bad and could sell some books in the sequel when he is named and in costume.

I know we've been through this a thousand times around these parts, and that it's pretty obvious by now that movie hype is NOT, in general, putting vintage books into the hands of chimerical "end users" -- i.e., people who see a movie, get excited about a character or characters, and then (for whatever reason) suddenly decide that they want to become comic book collectors who are willing to pay a premium price for a first appearance published 30-50 years ago.

These buyers probably do not exist, or do not exist in any numbers worth mentioning.

But...if such a group of buyers does not exist, then who, exactly, is the speculation chain speculating will buy their books? More speculators, right? So under these conditions am I right in saying that the end game here is, as always, not to be the last guy holding the bag?

(Btw...for what it's worth, the stories in Marv. Spt. v.2 6 and 7 are pretty damn good late '70s-style space opera -- always dug the Sutton art...funky!)