• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT VOL. 2 #6

52 posts in this topic

I believe the book has potential because Starlord is the team leader and seems to have a ton of screen time and one liners in this movie. Chris Pratt is also a rising star and is likely signed to a multi picture option. Funny character, rising actor and the lead in a potential block buster movie. Not a bad combo.

I like the Batroc character in Cap 2 but he was not one of the central characters in this movie and was not even named as crossbones. You had to have some fanboy knowledge to know who he was. His character is bad and could sell some books in the sequel when he is named and in costume.

That's why I pulled mine after I saw how the movie ended. :shy:

I know we've been through this a thousand times around these parts, and that it's pretty obvious by now that movie hype is NOT, in general, putting vintage books into the hands of chimerical "end users" -- i.e., people who see a movie, get excited about a character or characters, and then (for whatever reason) suddenly decide that they want to become comic book collectors who are willing to pay a premium price for a first appearance published 30-50 years ago.

These buyers probably do not exist, or do not exist in any numbers worth mentioning.

But...if such a group of buyers does not exist, then who, exactly, is the speculation chain speculating will buy their books? More speculators, right? So under these conditions am I right in saying that the end game here is, as always, not to be the last guy holding the bag?

(Btw...for what it's worth, the stories in Marv. Spt. v.2 6 and 7 are pretty damn good late '70s-style space opera -- always dug the Sutton art...funky!)

Not sure your right about this. I have many sales across the board of movie-hyped books, by buyers with a whopping (17) or (22) feedback. It appears that their ranks are growing. It's a big world out there, and don't forget about the int'l BO.

Also, both the Cap and Spidey movies spiked sales of common issues in their respective titles, which would lead one to believe that there were a group of collectors who thought the time was right to fill those nasty "holes" in their collections.

Also, both the Cap and Spidey movies spiked sales of common issues in their respective titles, which would lead one to believe that there were a group of collectors who thought the time was right to fill those nasty "holes" in their collections.

That does make sense. In fact, I've been "forced" to do that myself several times over the past few years with some common BA books (like Astonishing Tales #29) which I blew off for decades. They were essentially worthless, so I figured I could always pick them up on the cheap after I accumulated the better stuff...

Not sure your right about this. I have many sales across the board of movie-hyped books, by buyers with a whopping (17) or (22) feedback. It appears that their ranks are growing. It's a big world out there, and don't forget about the int'l BO.

Yeah, but isn't it just as possible that these low-feedback buyers are in fact newb speculators attracted by the (real or perceived) re-sale potential and not by a movie-driven desire to own the books for their own sake? Not that you or anyone should care as a seller...

It looks like there are at least 158 graded issues of MARVEL PREVIEW #4

but only 15 graded issues of MARVEL SPOTLIGHT Vol. 2 # 6...I guess that

shows a lack of interest in that issue of MARVEL SPOTLIGHT.

mm

mm

Not really, masses don't tend to get things graded until there is a price market for it. Once a couple high grades start to sell there will be plenty more graded. MP #4 has been high for a year, but before that I would like to know how many were graded.

if such a group of buyers does not exist, then who, exactly, is the speculation chain speculating will buy their books? More speculators, right? So under these conditions am I right in saying that the end game here is, as always, not to be the last guy holding the bag?

...and people that want that book and simply overpay for it not knowing the market history.

:juggle:

mm

Not really, masses don't tend to get things graded until there is a price market for it. Once a couple high grades start to sell there will be plenty more graded. MP #4 has been high for a year, but before that I would like to know how many were graded.

But wouldn't the lack of interest be the cause of the lower price point that is causing fewer of these to be graded? (shrug). However, I'm not sure that I agree with the notion that low prices are keeping the book from being graded. I've been watching this book since the movie announcement. One sold for $200 in 9.8 back in October. I think it will go up from there but I dot see it setting the world on fire like the 271 did.

Two different formats, one is a comic magazine, the other a comic book. From that point of view, it is the first appearance of Star-lord in a comic book.

I think this book is a sleeper and its day will come. It's hard to gain price momentum when only 6 9.8's exist and only 15 graded total exist and don't change hands often. Plus it doesn't have the Hulk to bring it into the light like the Raccoon did.

But I do think the character is going to get a huge boost from the film, especially if there is one or two sequels. I'm also assuming that the Guardians will play a prominent role in this multi-stage cinematic opera that Marvel is planning through 2028. No company has ever tried to do what Marvel is currently doing with films and its exciting on many levels. It absolutely will drive interest in collecting. It did for me. I may be absolutely drinking the Koolaid, but I sure am enjoying it :headbang:

Two different formats, one is a comic magazine, the other a comic book. From that point of view, it is the first appearance of Star-lord in a comic book.

I think this book is a sleeper and its day will come.

You might be right. These days, I don't even try to figure out the reasons why, especially in this case when it's the 6th or 7th appearance of the character. All the more mind boggling when you consider that comic books were frequently referred to as "comic mags" or "magazines" for decades.

Definitely potential for this book. Alot of folks don't collect magazines. I don't and if I had the choice to grab Marvel premiere 4 or Marvel Spotlight 6 , I would grab Spotlight 6 especially at the discount they are going for vs the other one. For me its the first comic book APP i want not the magazine. Everyone is different of course.

Definitely potential for this book. Alot of folks don't collect magazines. I don't and if I had the choice to grab Marvel premiere 4 or Marvel Spotlight 6 , I would grab Spotlight 6 especially at the discount they are going for vs the other one. For me its the first comic book APP i want not the magazine. Everyone is different of course.

I think all the focus (rightly so) has been centered on MP4.

If MS6 was going to spike, shouldn't it have happened by now? The GoG movie is imminent

If MS6 was going to spike, shouldn't it have happened by now? The GoG movie is imminent

I would call $1 bin to $20 a spike.

I would call $1 bin to $20 a spike.

More like a nail ;)

I was just saying its what i would buy but more people are after the MP4 , that could change as MP4 goes up too high. ,same thing with Hulk annual 5 (2nd app groot and 1st since the silver age) as the 1st APP of Groot goes up, I already see low grade copies of Hulk annual 5 going for a nice price . Im glad MS 6 is s till cheap , i like the Starlord character and I can buy what I consider his first app for cheap. No issue there.

The problem is there aren't many issues of Marvel Spotlight V2 #6 available, and those that are don't label it as the first appearance of Star-lord in comic books. I had to do quite a bit of research to find out the publication history. Wikipedia for example, after discussing the Marvel Preview issues says:

"Star-Lord made sporadic appearances over the next few years in the titles Marvel Super Special, Marvel Spotlight, and Marvel Premiere."

They make no distinction between formats and it took further looking to realize super special is a magazine size format, which means the first actual comic book appearance is Marvel Spotlight V2 #6.

If someone wants to say the other formats are comic books, ok, but then you can't make a distinction between a graphic novel and a comic book either. I'm much more comfortable with a comic book defined by size and color and I think Marvel intended it this way as well. At least as a collector, that's how I think of it.

Once the movie is out and the fact that #6 is the first appearance in comic books gets more well-known, I think the book is going to do a lot better.

I came to this thread to see what others were saying about the book. It doesn't feel like a strong consensus, but I think that will change over time. If Star-lord blows up like I think he will, there will be a big push by collectors to learn everything about the publication history. At least that is what drove me to do this research.

People are getting hung up on formats. What they fail to realize is that comic books were referred to by publishers for decades as comic magazines. The idea that MS V2 #6 is the first appearance of anything is laughable. However, that likely will have little effect on demand and the market for the comic may indeed blow up.

People are getting hung up on formats. What they fail to realize is that comic books were referred to by publishers for decades as comic magazines. The idea that MS V2 #6 is the first appearance of anything is laughable. However, that likely will have little effect on demand and the market for the comic may indeed blow up.

You just contradicted yourself in saying that it's a comic "magazine" which I would be different than a comic "book", no?

You just contradicted yourself in saying that it's a comic "magazine" which I would be different than a comic "book", no?

My point was that comic publishers used to refer to comics as magazines. I've seen the term "comic mag" in many interior house ads, and they were referring to actual comic books, not what we might call today as a magazine.

However, like I said, the market will determine value.

My point was that comic publishers used to refer to comics as magazines. I've seen the term "comic mag" in many interior house ads, and they were referring to actual comic books, not what we might call today as a magazine.

However, like I said, the market will determine value.

Gotcha, for decades the "magazines" have been regulated to boxes on the floor and to back of stores. Just recently they have gained popularity and with those storage techniques finding higher grade ones has become difficult and demands premium $. The same can be said with Premiere #6, $1 bin book that was not sought after. Now try and find a high grade.

Whatever your definition, you're correct, market will decide.