• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is up with JSC's signature placements?

32 posts in this topic

Sometimes window-bagging yourself is not always the answer. I know of a few talents who will remove the comic from the bag and still sign anywhere they want and as large as they want.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Out of curiosity, who went off the reservation on the Star Trek book?

Michelle Nichols does not believe in window-bags and removed the comic from the bag and signed across the entire cover

:o WOW surprising that she would do that. It's not like she has a ton of published work to her name. She should be happy that someone even asked for her sig.

comicbookdb credits her with 2 books. Am I missing something here?

I am not sure if you are joking or not, but in case you do not know who she is she played Lt. Uhura in the original Star Trek show and movies. She has to be in her seventies and has been signing her name that huge for decades. A ton of people would love to have her signature. If you were joking, than you got me!

Sometimes window-bagging yourself is not always the answer. I know of a few talents who will remove the comic from the bag and still sign anywhere they want and as large as they want.

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Michelle Nichols does not believe in window-bags and removed the comic from the bag and signed across the entire cover

:o WOW surprising that she would do that. It's not like she has a ton of published work to her name. She should be happy that someone even asked for her sig.

comicbookdb credits her with 2 books. Am I missing something here?

I am not sure if you are joking or not, but in case you do not know who she is she played Lt. Uhura in the original Star Trek show and movies. She has to be in her seventies and has been signing her name that huge for decades. A ton of people would love to have her signature. If you were joking, than you got me!

:jokealert: I changed her name from Nichelle to Michelle

Len Wein, Doesn't care where he signs as his art was on the interior so ha doesn't care much at all

Len Wein is a writer, not an artist. :gossip:

That's the point. He claims his art is the words and one of the reasons he doesn't like CGC. Short conversation with him is he got into comics to make comics not over sized baseball cards.

Out of curiosity how specific are you guys when it comes to window bagging, especially on 'busy' covers? Have you ever had a creator flat out refuse to sign in a specified area?

I second or third the Neal Adams observations. I had a Miracleman #1 sketch variant that was hard to find a signature spot for, so I slipped it into one of my random mylars with a window at the bottom.

Neal didn't like the placement at all -- though, I totally understood why.

"I don't want to sign it near his crotch!"

He pulled the tape off, opened the flap, and pulled the comic out while his handler, looking shocked, asked him to be gentle.

"I'm going to sign it somewhere else, is that okay?"

I told him to sign it wherever.

On the way back to CGC, the witness told me that Neal seemed a little off. Probably due to being sick -- he just seemed a bit grouchy.

Out of curiosity how specific are you guys when it comes to window bagging, especially on 'busy' covers? Have you ever had a creator flat out refuse to sign in a specified area?

I second or third the Neal Adams observations. I had a Miracleman #1 sketch variant that was hard to find a signature spot for, so I slipped it into one of my random mylars with a window at the bottom.

Neal didn't like the placement at all -- though, I totally understood why.

"I don't want to sign it near his crotch!"

He pulled the tape off, opened the flap, and pulled the comic out while his handler, looking shocked, asked him to be gentle.

"I'm going to sign it somewhere else, is that okay?"

I told him to sign it wherever.

On the way back to CGC, the witness told me that Neal seemed a little off. Probably due to being sick -- he just seemed a bit grouchy.

I've witnessed for Neal a ton of times - his issue is that he always has a very specific spot in mind when it comes to signature placement for any particular book. If you look at a bunch of his SS books, you'll see that he likes to sign in the exact same spot over & over again. If people do window-bags where that area is covered up, he can be a bit ... well ... testy :)

Len Wein, Doesn't care where he signs as his art was on the interior so ha doesn't care much at all

Len Wein is a writer, not an artist. :gossip:

That's the point. He claims his art is the words and one of the reasons he doesn't like CGC. Short conversation with him is he got into comics to make comics not over sized baseball cards.

doh! That makes perfect sense then!

IMG_0002_zps02f7741c.jpg

Nichelle Nichols does not believe in window-bags and removed the comic from the bag and signed across the entire cover

Mike Baron gave me trouble before about window bags.

I like that he mixed it up.

I had 3 ASM 50s window bagged for John Romita and he signed them each differently inside the window.

It gives each book a little more personality.

Hey Jake,

Whats up bro

my 2c being a little picky

The only thing worth complaining about is black on black.

Kaholo summed up everything pretty great.

JSC is a great artist who is very easy to work with and understanding of CGC SS.

That being said he is at alot of shows.

You managing your 10-15 books a show will get you a better result than a facilitator or CGC managing 200-600 books in most cases.

Ok- so CGC put your books in windows.....well now you have learned to prep your books yourself and that it is worth it.

Good luck buddy!

-Sean

Cheers Sean! I agree - I'm picky. At least I know better for next time. Only been collecting and getting signatures for 10 months, so I've obviously got some ground to cover ; )