• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay seller surprise... *shakes head in dismay*

82 posts in this topic

I'm confused

Comics General = the new eBay Journal Forum (thumbs u

Pretty much. I saw similar threads here and thought, why not? hm

Is the misprint worth more? Is this thread a joke?

Yeah, it's tougher to find.

Not a joke... what would give you that idea?

Because it reads like you're trying to pull a fast one and feel cheated when it didn't work.

So I guess if you inform a seller that what they have is (I'm assuming) worth more, then they have to sell it to you? I don't see how if you didn't buy it or place a bid on it, that the seller is somehow in the wrong for deciding to keep an, as of yet, unsold item.

There's a little saying on Slickdeals that comes to mind, "Never call the store". You sir, "called the store".

It amazes me how so many people here miss the point so easily and instead grab a pitchfork at the first opportunity.

I was not trying to "pull a fast one" or felt that I was entitled to the purchase.

I asked if the back cover is red or green. I didn't say anything else. Red = I do not buy it. Green = I'll go ahead and buy it.

Now, the problem that I have is when the seller messages me six weeks later and says "It's the misprint! I'm keeping it! Thanks!" Why the hell did they need to message me to let me know that? To rub it in? To gloat? Nobody wants to hear something like that. THAT'S the point.

Maybe he (seriously) just wanted to thank-you, for educating him on the anomaly, before he sold it for less without knowing about the misprint?

At the end of April, I emailed some sellers asking which of two colors was on the back cover of a comic since only the front cover was shown. I didn't want to ask for a scan because if it was the standard color rather than a misprint (what I was after), then I didn't want them to waste their time with scanning, resizing, uploading, emailing, etc. I received a few responses and struck out.

Fast forward to June 8th. I received a message through Ebay from one of the sellers I contacted on April 28th out of the blue. Here is their message, and I quote:

"OMG so glad you asked its this misprint edition I never would have known if you did not ask I will keep it for my own collection and keep the regular edition on auction Thank you so Much

- witchandspawn"

:facepalm:

Me:

"And I'm left empty-handed for the effort. :(

Better had you not told me anything..."

"sorry !!"

Followup message:

"if you had not sent me a message I would have sent it to you unknowing if that helps"

:facepalm::facepalm:

"Well, not really. I'm the one that's been searching for a nice misprint copy this entire time.

I asked whether Spawn was red or green on the back to save you the trouble of taking a picture and sending it, in case Spawn was red. Then I get a message that basically says "OMG Spawn is green! I'm keeping it! Thanks!"

Yeah... Not cool.

A quote comes to mind as I write this : "No good deed goes unpunished.""

"and you would be right on that quote sorry"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

They just couldn't resist trying to rub salt in the wound. This person either has zero imagination and is completely self-centered, thus being incapable of viewing a situation from another person's perspective, or is a cretin that enjoys pushing peoples' buttons. They also don't seem to understand that repeating "sorry" like that makes it very disingenuous.

*Sigh...* Well, I guess I'll just ask for pictures from now on. (shrug)

I don't fully understand what happened but all I can tell you is if Steve Borock was the eBay seller he would have sent you the scan telepathically. (thumbs u

No I don't believe so-the OP didn't say hey the other cover is more valuable he just asked what color it was-seller knew he was scoping it out-and nyah nyah nyah'd him IMO

I'm confused

Comics General = the new eBay Journal Forum (thumbs u

Pretty much. I saw similar threads here and thought, why not? hm

Is the misprint worth more? Is this thread a joke?

Yeah, it's tougher to find.

Not a joke... what would give you that idea?

Because it reads like you're trying to pull a fast one and feel cheated when it didn't work.

So I guess if you inform a seller that what they have is (I'm assuming) worth more, then they have to sell it to you? I don't see how if you didn't buy it or place a bid on it, that the seller is somehow in the wrong for deciding to keep an, as of yet, unsold item.

There's a little saying on Slickdeals that comes to mind, "Never call the store". You sir, "called the store".

It amazes me how so many people here miss the point so easily and instead grab a pitchfork at the first opportunity.

I was not trying to "pull a fast one" or felt that I was entitled to the purchase.

I asked if the back cover is red or green. I didn't say anything else. Red = I do not buy it. Green = I'll go ahead and buy it.

Now, the problem that I have is when the seller messages me six weeks later and says "It's the misprint! I'm keeping it! Thanks!" Why the hell did they need to message me to let me know that? To rub it in? To gloat? Nobody wants to hear something like that. THAT'S the point.

They THANKED you for giving them the heads up. Not gloating. No point missed.

Really? So you're saying that you would be fine with this example:

You go into a comic shop where the owner is also a collector. You ask to see the back cover of a comic on the wall. The owner watches you. You see that it's the misprint, and want to buy it. Before you do, you go to pick up a few issues in the back. During this time, the owner looks up the issue online and sees what the misprint is. When you come back, he tells you that he's keeping it for his collection, but he thanks you.

I think not.

I wouldn't let it out of my hands, and buy it on the spot if mattered that much to me.

i'd say the seller was being polite by thanking you

were you screwed, yes......but it just so happened that you got a seller who was paying attention to the reason you were asking

lol imo you are coming off as a sore loser in the exchange

let me ask you a question, bc you pointed out to the seller that he might (did) have an error book that they were oblagated to sell it to you......considering all you did was ask for info

Again, please read my posts. It's not that I was "screwed" or that I felt entitled to the book.

And where is the question?

i did read your answers and the question was did you feel oblagated that they sell it to you......bc honestly that's how it seems

i mean you kinda point out a error book to the seller.....how do you know they don't like/collect that stuff. i know for myself i like them but hardly pay attention to whats on the market unless a dealer points it out, though there are a few i know about and may actvily keep an eye out for, but meny i have no clue about.......maybe this seller is like that

The seller did no wrong but they didn't have to gloat.

He didn't gloat until the buyer got worked up in response, instead of just saying 'your welcome'. Not saying it was right, but once he knew he could work the OP into a tizzy, he kept poking.

Kav, what do you think the seller should have done after receiving the message about the back cover?

Good point-he obviously pulled the auction so dude would have known either way....I guess seller did do the right thing....

lol kav i enjoy your posts and agree on pretty much all of them but to say in the begining the seller was gloating i think is wrong

after that the seller seemed to be trolling the OP bc of how he was acting.....hell i've done that stuff in MMO's to see how far i can push someone once they come off being an about somthing (miss playing this game in CoH)

plz don't tell me you have never thanked someone for pointing something out about a book you didn't know......it would be the polite thing to do imo

At the end of April, I emailed some sellers asking which of two colors was on the back cover of a comic since only the front cover was shown. I didn't want to ask for a scan because if it was the standard color rather than a misprint (what I was after), then I didn't want them to waste their time with scanning, resizing, uploading, emailing, etc. I received a few responses and struck out.

Fast forward to June 8th. I received a message through Ebay from one of the sellers I contacted on April 28th out of the blue. Here is their message, and I quote:

"OMG so glad you asked its this misprint edition I never would have known if you did not ask I will keep it for my own collection and keep the regular edition on auction Thank you so Much

- witchandspawn"

:facepalm:

Me:

"And I'm left empty-handed for the effort. :(

Better had you not told me anything..."

"sorry !!"

Followup message:

"if you had not sent me a message I would have sent it to you unknowing if that helps"

:facepalm::facepalm:

"Well, not really. I'm the one that's been searching for a nice misprint copy this entire time.

I asked whether Spawn was red or green on the back to save you the trouble of taking a picture and sending it, in case Spawn was red. Then I get a message that basically says "OMG Spawn is green! I'm keeping it! Thanks!"

Yeah... Not cool.

A quote comes to mind as I write this : "No good deed goes unpunished.""

"and you would be right on that quote sorry"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

They just couldn't resist trying to rub salt in the wound. This person either has zero imagination and is completely self-centered, thus being incapable of viewing a situation from another person's perspective, or is a cretin that enjoys pushing peoples' buttons. They also don't seem to understand that repeating "sorry" like that makes it very disingenuous.

*Sigh...* Well, I guess I'll just ask for pictures from now on. (shrug)

Next time, just ask if you can make payments. Maybe they would have allowed it.

The seller did no wrong but they didn't have to gloat.

This is subjective no? I honestly took it as the seller saying "Hey thanks for the heads up you did me a real solid!" I guess its a toe-may-toe vs toe-ma-toe scenario.

This thread is unreal. CG has been quite entertaining as of late.

These eBay threads have kept me highly entertained over the last 48 hours or so. Please continue... :popcorn:

No I don't believe so-the OP didn't say hey the other cover is more valuable he just asked what color it was-seller knew he was scoping it out-and nyah nyah nyah'd him IMO

You are reading what you want to read into the seller's statement. Are you generally a negative person? Glass half empty? I'm guessing the glass half full people tend to take others at their word without reading another intent into what they wrote.