• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the center of the universe?

51 posts in this topic

For some reason there seems to be many people who believe what's said on these boards carries weight in the real world. I don't buy it. What percentage of comic collectors are members here or even casually read the posts?

I would think the majority of collectors don't collect slabbed books so would not be going to CGC's site.

Thoughts...

I can honestly say that the majority of comic collecting friends I know personally read the boards but will not participate. I can also say that my LCS owner knows of the boards, as well as other customers checking it for information.

Many choose not to participate but the boards are a wealth of information to in so far as buying and selling trends and information.

Some things said on these boards do not carry weight in the real world-that's why many collectors unaware of these boards fall victim to the many scams and hijinx out there.

I can honestly say that the majority of comic collecting friends I know personally read the boards but will not participate. I can also say that my LCS owner knows of the boards, as well as other customers checking it for information.

Many choose not to participate but the boards are a wealth of information to in so far as buying and selling trends and information.

+1

For some reason there seems to be many people who believe what's said on these boards carries weight in the real world. I don't buy it. What percentage of comic collectors are members here or even casually read the posts?

I would think the majority of collectors don't collect slabbed books so would not be going to CGC's site.

Thoughts...

I would guess less than 1%. Much less.

Thoughts...

I'm thinking 10% but that may be too high. Of all the collectors I know, most don't pay attention to what's said in chat rooms and most collect raw books.

Thoughts...

The majority of collectors likely don't ever come here. However, the membership of these forums includes a disproportionately large number of dealers. If these boards have an impact on the "real world," that's why.

Here's the scoop about these boards, and comic message boards in general:

The majority, maybe 75-90% of people who have something to do with comics, don't visit any message boards at all, ever. The closest most people in general get to online message boards and forums is Facebook and Twitter, and that includes comic book people.

Of the remainder that do, this board is probably top 3 or 4 in terms of population, visitation and activity. I would suspect Bleeding Cool is also in that group. If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that CBR and Newsarama are at the top of the heap.

But of those, Newsarama doesn't seem to have a forum, and Bleeding Cool and CBR forums aren't anywhere near as active as CGC's (and keeping in mind that the coin side also provides avenues of activity that are unknown to the others.)

I think it's safe to say that, of comics related communities, this one is *probably* the most connected and active. People go to CBR, Newsarama, and Bleeding Cool for news, info, gossip...they come HERE to talk about it, and read what others have to say about it. Again, though, we're talking about maybe 10-25% of the people, at most, who are involved in comics in one way or another...and this board has traditionally been fairly aggressive with creators, which is why there is no large presence from that side of the industry here.

That said, as Crimebuster stated, a hugely disproportionate amount of dealers come here, and that does have a very real effect on the industry as a whole.

Thoughts...

I'm thinking 10% but that may be too high. Of all the collectors I know, most don't pay attention to what's said in chat rooms and most collect raw books.

So why are you here?

The majority, maybe 75-90% of people who have something to do with comics, don't visit any message boards at all, ever. The closest most people in general get to online message boards and forums is Facebook and Twitter, and that includes comic book people.

Of the remainder that do, this board is probably top 3 or 4 in terms of population, visitation and activity. I would suspect Bleeding Cool is also in that group. If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that CBR and Newsarama are at the top of the heap.

But of those, Newsarama doesn't seem to have a forum, and Bleeding Cool and CBR forums aren't anywhere near as active as CGC's (and keeping in mind that the coin side also provides avenues of activity that are unknown to the others.)

I think it's safe to say that, of comics related communities, this one is *probably* the most connected and active. People go to CBR, Newsarama, and Bleeding Cool for news, info, gossip...they come HERE to talk about it, and read what others have to say about it. Again, though, we're talking about maybe 10-25% of the people, at most, who are involved in comics in one way or another...and this board has traditionally been fairly aggressive with creators, which is why there is no large presence from that side of the industry here.

That said, as Crimebuster stated, a hugely disproportionate amount of dealers come here, and that does have a very real effect on the industry as a whole.

Maybe it is a regional thing then. I can see that with some areas, but I stand by what I said. Not picking a fight. I realize that those are my experiences and are reflective of what I have seen only and on top of that I may be an outlier. However, you tend to be on the other end of the spectrum, so maybe we are both wrong and there is something more in the middle.

Maybe it is a regional thing then. I can see that with some areas, but I stand by what I said. Not picking a fight. I realize that those are my experiences and are reflective of what I have seen only and on top of that I may be an outlier. However, you tend to be on the other end of the spectrum, so maybe we are both wrong and there is something more in the middle.

Your pragmatism is revolting you Brooklyn hipster.:sumo:

Your pragmatism is revolting you Brooklyn hipster.:sumo:

Just because I wear thick black frames does not make me a Brooklyn hipster... waitaminute...