• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING FINDS IN UNLIKELY PLACES...LETS HEAR THE STORIES!!!

52 posts in this topic

Alright everyone, lets hear the stories of the gems found in the most unlikely of places and how much you got it for!

I lost my virginity in a small town in Ohio and all it cost me was a Madonna song.

I might be totally misremembering the anecdote and maybe Vince will chime in and correct me. But a guy sold a six sheet Frankenstein poster to metro that he found in an old suitcase he bought! Frankenstein being the Action Comics 1 of the movie poster world.

My best find i was personally involved in was a large box of vintage and sealed cereal toys for .50c in a tin box at a local garage sale. Maybe 50-60 toys inside and they typically go for 40-100 each depending on rarity.

I think you're full of mess.

And that's the truth lol

Of course you do. It fits your model of what you want the world to be like. So if I'm full of mess, why are you bothering with me? Why the incessant trolling?

You're right, I'm going to take the advice I've received from people and simply put you on ignore. I apologize for my reactions to you and your posting style.

I'm going to go back to enjoying reading the boards without you being every second post.

And that's the truth lol

Of course you do. It fits your model of what you want the world to be like. So if I'm full of mess, why are you bothering with me? Why the incessant trolling?

You're right, I'm going to take the advice I've received from people and simply put you on ignore. I apologize for my reactions to you and your posting style.

I'm going to go back to enjoying reading the boards without you being every second post.

Thank the Lord

I've already taken the advice of several people to just consider you a troll.

Alright everyone, lets hear the stories of the gems found in the most unlikely of places and how much you got it for!

I lost my virginity in a small town in Ohio and all it cost me was a Madonna song.

Then. you both suffered horribly.

I guy I know (I've met him and spoke to him a few times) went to the Calgary stampede as a young, teenage boy with his family.

His family let him check out the local comic shops while he was there.

He found a book store that had bought out inventory from an old comic store but it wasn't sorted. He spent the afternoon sorting through comics and uncovered a treasure of books...but he only had $400 in his pocket.

He whittled the stack down and ended up at the counter with a small stack of books. After haggling with the lady at the front, she asked him how much he had and he explained that he only had $400. She exchanged the money for the books.

He left with the books, of which the stack included 3 copies of Action #1. 2 copies were coverless and one copy was complete but low grade.

Apparently it's a true story.

And that's the truth lol

I hate to see conflicts like this. I know one of my favorite boardies left here recently because of this after being here over 5 years. :(

And that's the truth lol

I hate to see conflicts like this. I know one of my favorite boardies left here recently because of this after being here over 5 years. :(

No conflict here. (Thumbs u

I was a kid in Cocoa Beach. It was 1965. No comic shops (of course).

The best spinner rack was located at a small grocer located on the 520 Causeway, which led across the Banana River to Merritt Island.

Unfortunately, this was not within my unattended range, because I would have to cross the busy causeway to get to the store. So I only got my comics when I accompanied either my parents or big brother to the small shopping center (think '60s strip mall).

I missed a lot of books because of this.

I bought ASM 24, 26, 27, 28 and 30 at this place (other Marvels as well) and I was hooked. Spidey was my favorite. I had a "collection".

I was allowed to ride my bike the opposite direction to downtown Cocoa Beach, up to the "Glass Bank" as it was called back then. I found a little convenience store, a U-Tote-'Em or something similar. It had a magazine stand with a few comics, but not the best selection.

I rode my bike there one afternoon, and thumbing through the shelves, behind a bunch of newer books, I found Amazing Spider-Man #18.

Oh my God! IT WAS A YEAR OLD! Ancient! What's this doing here? A back issue from "way before" I started collecting Spidey! Spider-Man's afraid! He's hiding from the Sandman! I gotta have it!

I didn't have 12¢ . WHAT TO DO?

I carefully hid my treasure behind a bunch of magazines, probably LIFE or LOOK or Newsweek, on a higher shelf of the magazine stand and I went home.

Feverishly I tried to scrape up 12¢ . Maybe I washed the car, or cleaned the back patio, looked under the sofa cushions, or just begged my Mom for a dime, I don't remember.

A day or so later, I had the 12¢ .

I raced my bike back downtown, fast as I could while obeying the traffic rules. My dog Rocky ran next to me (no leash). I raced into the store and dug through the shelf for my treasure. It was there! Thinking myself clever, I purchased it from the clerk. Man, was I happy riding my bike back home.

Yeah, ASM #18 might not be considered a gem. I didn't find it in an unlikely place. But to a 9 year-old boy, it was a treasure. So much so, that when I saw this thread title decades later, it was the first thing that came to mind.

I loved those days.

The best spinner rack was located at a small grocer located on the 520 Causeway, which led across the Banana River to Merritt Island.

Unfortunately, this was not within my unattended range, because I would have to cross the busy causeway to get to the store. So I only got my comics when I accompanied either my parents or big brother to the small shopping center (think '60s strip mall).

I bought ASM 24, 26, 27, 28 and 30 at this place (other Marvels as well) and I was hooked. Spidey was my favorite. I had a "collection".

I was allowed to ride my bike the opposite direction to downtown Cocoa Beach, up to the "Glass Bank" as it was called back then. I found a little convenience store, a U-Tote-'Em or something similar. It had a magazine stand with a few comics, but not the best selection.

I rode my bike there one afternoon, and thumbing through the shelves, behind a bunch of newer books, I found Amazing Spider-Man #18.

Oh my God! IT WAS A YEAR OLD! Ancient! What's this doing here? A back issue from "way before" I started collecting Spidey! Spider-Man's afraid! He's hiding from the Sandman! I gotta have it!

I carefully hid my treasure behind a bunch of magazines, probably LIFE or LOOK or Newsweek, on a higher shelf of the magazine stand and I went home.

Feverishly I tried to scrape up 12¢ . Maybe I washed the car, or cleaned the back patio, looked under the sofa cushions, or just begged my Mom for a dime, I don't remember.

I raced my bike back downtown, fast as I could while obeying the traffic rules. My dog Rocky ran next to me (no leash). I raced into the store and dug through the shelf for my treasure. It was there! Thinking myself clever, I purchased it from the clerk. Man, was I happy riding my bike back home.

Yeah, ASM #18 might not be considered a gem. I didn't find it in an unlikely place. But to a 9 year-old boy, it was a treasure. So much so, that when I saw this thread title decades later, it was the first thing that came to mind.

I loved those days.

That is an awesome story :applause:

I loved those days.

+1

I loved those days.

+1

One of the best stories I've heard on here lately.

Nothing much with comics. But I've been in the middle of restoring a Cadillac for several years now. Throughout my trials I've discovered some parts are extremely rare and valuable, while most are dirt cheap. So I'm always on the lookout for the valuable ones, the only problem is here in Southern California all the lowrider guys routinely gut the Cadillacs for all the good stuff in the junkyards. In restoring mine I've had to order parts from all over the US and Canada, spending hundreds of dollars on small parts trying to nail down every factory and dealership option for my car. Well, one day at the junk yard I stumbled upon a set of wheels. Pretty rare factory premium wheels that have no market at all in California but a HUGE market in Texas and Louisiana. Got the set of wheels for $80 and sold them for $1000 on Houston area Craigslist the same week. I could have gotten much more for them if I was local, but several callers were hesitant to send me money all the way out here and just hope I'm honest enough to send the wheels. Didn't take long for one guy to take the risk for the right price. I hope he's enjoying them. lol

It was a set of these type of wheels, off an '84 Eldorado

When my parents and I moved my Grandma out of her home in the early 90s we found several big black garbage bags in her attic just filled with Golden Age beauties. I'm talking early Detective, Action, etc. They were all in pretty rough shape, but still, exciting!

The only problem was we also found mold. Lots and lots of mold. We salvaged what we could, but threw away anything moldy. Which was almost all the good stuff doh!

I remember doing things like that! I hid newsstand books trying to come back and purchase them the next week when I got enough money.

what are you talking about? i still do thisand i'm 36 years old. lmao. granted it's with more expensive books now, lol.

i still get that same feeling i did when i was 12 though. lol.

Found a Superman Meets the Nestlé Quick Bunny display filled with over two dozen NM copies in it for a fin at a pawn shop.I was so excited I think I started a thread. :acclaim:

Also this year found a fine plus Hulk 180 at a yard sale for a quarter.

I remember doing things like that! I hid newsstand books trying to come back and purchase them the next week when I got enough money.

what are you talking about? i still do thisand i'm 36 years old. lmao. granted it's with more expensive books now, lol.

i still get that same feeling i did when i was 12 though. lol.

Are you talking about newsstand moderns or trying to hide wall books at cons? lol

I would do similiar things too until one day.....

I was at a small department store in my hometown of Brunswick called Grand City. They had a small restaurant in the front of the store that my folks would take all us kids to after church on Sundays. I was looking at the toys and found a Masters of the universe Man-E-Faces figure. This was odd to find because at this time they were on the 2nd or 3rd wave of figures. I wanted it so bad I could taste it. So I decided to hide it and come back later in the week when I had some money. I hid it behind several board games and proceeded to leave the store. On my way out I was grabbed by the shoulder and asked to come into the office to have a chat. They asked me not to come back to the store again.....I was 9 years old and shocked. Like I said we came there pretty regular after church. I asked why not and the man told me they where watching me and saw me hide the figure within the games so I could come back and steal it later! I told them I hid it so I could come back later to BUY it. They did not beleive me.

So, scared about coming back the coming Sunday after church I told my folks and long story short my parents went to talk to them and straighten things out. Well, we ended up going to Friendly's for breakfast after church and rarely ever went back to Grand City.

I never did get Man-E-Faces and was bummed out for days after..... :sorry: