• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING FINDS IN UNLIKELY PLACES...LETS HEAR THE STORIES!!!

52 posts in this topic

I remember doing things like that! I hid newsstand books trying to come back and purchase them the next week when I got enough money.

Same here when I was a kid. Also, I went through the newsstand books to see if anyone was hiding anything that I was interested.

Would you consider a comic book show to be an unlikely place? No? I don't blame you but I will explain.

Not all shows are created equal obviously and you might have a reasonable expectation to find the comic below at one of the larger, major show but not necessarily at a small local con.

A few months ago I pulled a copy of the United Features Peanuts one shot from 1953 and I was able to get it for far less than market value. Needless to say I was flabbergasted at finding this book in the wild, at a small local con, just thrown in a long box with a bunch of other random comics. An unlikely place indeed

Would you consider a comic book show to be an unlikely place? No? I don't blame you but I will explain.

Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all. So many dealers either don't know or don't care to know much about anything beyond superhero comics. The trouble is that a lot of them don't bother to bring the other stuff to shows, or they treat it like garbage. They'll bag and board drek from the 90s, but leave all the vintage Dell/Gold Key, Archie, etc stuff loose.

Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all. So many dealers either don't know or don't care to know much about anything beyond superhero comics. The trouble is that a lot of them don't bother to bring the other stuff to shows, or they treat it like garbage. They'll bag and board drek from the 90s, but leave all the vintage Dell/Gold Key, Archie, etc stuff loose.

The stuff the dealers think is worthless is the hardest stuff to find. I KNOW dealers out there picked up the send away only indies that didn't get "Real" distribution in the 80's. I'd love to find a box of that stuff.

~Childhood memory~

That is an awesome story :applause:

+1

One of the best stories I've heard on here lately.

Thanks guys. :)

I hit upon a similar situation back in 1972. It was at a little convenience store called Stop-N-Go that my parents stopped in one day on the other side of town that we usually did not frequent. Low and behold there was a spinner rack of comics just inside the front door. I found 6 months worth of Daredevils in that rack; issues #93-98. I managed to talk my parents into buying them all. I still have those copies to this day.

:grin: