• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five items that you would keep forever?

48 posts in this topic

Board Member Yecul asked a great question on the Ask Gator Thread:

You can only keep 5 items from your personal collection. You will never be allowed to sell these items and everything else is lost, so ignore value. What are they?

...So, for you, what are these five items and why?

Tough question after nearly 40 years of collecting......"my collection" has evolved over the years- My collecting interests started with silver, bronze then golden with a late wiff of OA thrown in, memorabilia too.

I note as asked that the question is not limited to "golden age comics" but my "personal collection"

I am content with what I have, have had and no longer have......So here is my list of "the five"

1. Mystery Men 3 "Larson" copy As reflected in my avatar this has been my favorite cover by my favorite artist. I have the Church copy also. But it is the "Larson" copy (with that back story) that makes it #1 for me....

2. Planet Comics #1 cover

Well, if there is nothing better than have a copy of the book and other covers drawn by Fine, it is having the extreme luck and honor to own this iconic cover. It contains all the elements that make Fine an "artist's artist".

3. Wonder Comics #2 unpublished by Will Eisner

Although Fine was an extraordinary craftsman, Eisner was a genius in this new medium of story telling. This page was never published, because DC got an injunction in court against Fox and there was never a second appearance of "Wonderman". Mixing history and art, this page is a keeper.

4. Action Comics 1

I am into esoteric GA, pre-hero comics, BUT, how could I let this one slip out of one of the five keepers......??????

5. Amazing Spider-Man 6 by Ditko

I got into reading comics and then collecting comicbooks because of Spider-Man. He be "The Man". So a double panel by THE Spider-man artist will be here forever.

All the above and much of "my stuff" pass the "tingle test".....But here are "my five"....... jb

148065.jpg.cb846b0a8260fa73e909453f264ab19f.jpg

148066.jpg.bc67aafb6702dc0c7830b86600d1487f.jpg

148068.jpg.e82eb0bdf7873a94043e9dde6992f63b.jpg

148069.jpg.6960eee1b5177ff04fcea0895adef568.jpg

148076.jpg.768b51e6cac91e9919cb0d09065642f7.jpg

You can only keep 5 items from your personal collection. You will never be allowed to sell these items and everything else is lost, so ignore value. What are they?

Tough question after nearly 40 years of collecting......"my collection" has evolved over the years- My collecting interests started with silver, bronze then golden with a late wiff of OA thrown in, memorabilia too.

I note as asked that the question is not limited to "golden age comics" but my "personal collection"

I am content with what I have, have had and no longer have......So here is my list of "the five"

1. Mystery Men 3 "Larson" copy As reflected in my avatar this has been my favorite cover by my favorite artist. I have the Church copy also. But it is the "Larson" copy (with that back story) that makes it #1 for me....

Well, if there is nothing better than have a copy of the book and other covers drawn by Fine, it is having the extreme luck and honor to own this iconic cover. It contains all the elements that make Fine an "artist's artist".

Although Fine was an extraordinary craftsman, Eisner was a genius in this new medium of story telling. This page was never published, because DC got an injunction in court against Fox and there was never a second appearance of "Wonderman". Mixing history and art, this page is a keeper.

4. Action Comics 1

I am into esoteric GA, pre-hero comics, BUT, how could I let this one slip out of one of the five keepers......??????

I got into reading comics and then collecting comicbooks because of Spider-Man. He be "The Man". So a double panel by the Spider-man artist will be here forever.

All the above and much of "my stuff" pass the "tingle test".....But here are "my five"....... jb

Most people can only dream of having a collection where the Church copy of Fantastic Comics #3 doesn't even make the top five.

Awesome stuff. :applause:

4. Action Comics 1

I got into reading comics and then collecting comicbooks because of Spider-Man. He be "The Man". So a double panel by the Spider-man artist will be here forever.

Unreal!! (worship)

I've thought about this and here we go!

5) I wanted a nice copy of this book since I first saw it in Overstreet decades ago.

all_select_2_cgc_front.jpg

4)Nicest copy I've ever seen.

donald_duck_front_027_zps95c81374.jpg

3)Tied

th_DD_26_CGC_Front.jpgth_DD_26_Crippen_CGC_front.jpg

2) I was able to speak to Stan briefly about this comic so it stays with me forever. CA_27_CGC_Front.jpg

1) When I was a teenager Another Rainbow started offering their Carl Barks lithographs. As a poor teenager they were way out of my price range; so, imagine my happiness when I was able to buy the Original preliminary paintings to Menace Out of the Myths! :cloud9:

menace_out_of_the_myths_prelim_zps715a8a9f.jpg

Here are my Top 5 keepers and why:

No order.

1) John Romita Original Art from Menace #11 - This is the final page in the 5 pager that introduced M-11, the Human Robot. This is my second favorite Atlas Horror story and I love this page in particular because it transcends the story from a sci-fi robot motif, to a much darker, pre-code horror story. Original art from my favorite Atlas story does not exist as far as I know (and even if it did, I couldn't afford it). It's only icing on the cake that it's early Romita pre-super hero work and rare Atlas era original art.

menace111800_zpsed87d841.jpg

2) George Petty Original Painting from 1947. This comes from peak period Petty and was the published featured pin-up as Sept in the True Magazine Calendar. This is a widely published image, making its way to drinking glasses, advertisements and articles and books about the artist. Petty was one of the most influential pin-up artists of the era and the predecessor to Vargas' reign at Esquire Magazine.

CrosbyPettyGirlAfter_zpse89aab00.jpg

3) Menace #5 - I looked long and hard for a nice copy, I've owned 5 or 6 over the years and this is the best copy I was personally able to acquire. I doubt I'll find a nicer copy, especially since the prices have jumped quite a bit from when I found this copy and was more active in the market for this book. I think the Everett Zombie short in this book is the greatest horror story of all time.

menace5-1.jpg

4) The next 2 books are very important to me as the only run of comics I collect is MLJ's Suzie Comics. These are my two favorites.

Laugh Comix #46 - Mile High Pedigree - Very tough & rare book with an incredible Harry Sahle cover. This isn't the first solo Suzie cover but it's the first issue of Laugh Comix and my favorite cover that features Suzie. I hardly ever see copies of this book in any condition, I've owned a Poor copy that I reluctantly let go of when I got this copy.

laugh46.jpg

5) Top Notch Laugh Comics #28 - This is the 1st appearance of Suzie in comics, she appears on this Bob Montana cover and the issue also includes a story inside. This issue pre-dates Archie Comics #1 on the newsstands and some of the later issues I collect in this run, feature ads for the upcoming title. In this condition, likely impossible to replace.

topnotch28-1.jpg

Love the Romita page, and your copy of Menace 5 is maybe the only one I've seen without any fading on the cover (the red in the "Zombie" box is usually faded.