• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detectice Comics 30 - What's going on?

23 posts in this topic

This is a relist of Detective 30 that was listed on e-bay last week. This listing contains the line "Hard to believe last weeks 'winner' of this item fumbled the ball and missed out on owning this INCREDIBLE book at a real bargain price! Oh well...his loss could be your gain! ".

You may well have seen the original listing. So who was the bad boy who missed his chance to buy and is presumably heading for a strike towards NARU-land even now? Comiclink.

So what's going on? Was the first 'sale' genuine or was it a favour to protect an item going to cheaply. If it was genuine, did Comiclink forget to pay or is he down to his last $2000?

Am I missing something obvious here?

I find it really hard to believe that Josh welched on a deal. Something fishy is going on.

Is this book a GLOD? The CGC label appears to be green, yet that link to the supposed label shows a universal. Maybe this book is a GLOD and was falsely advertised, hence Josh's (in that case understandable) bid withdrawl?

I find it really hard to believe that Josh welched on a deal. Something fishy is going on.

Is this book a GLOD? The CGC label appears to be green, yet that link to the supposed label shows a universal. Maybe this book is a GLOD and was falsely advertised, hence Josh's (in that case understandable) bid withdrawl?

Detective Comics # 30 does not have a Qualified Label (Green) in the census, there is a universal 3.5 however. Guess only Josh can answer this one.

Look at the times...the new auction is not an actual "relist"..

The new auction started before the original auction ended...

{{{{{{My Bad...I read the time wrong...the new auction started 5 days later...}}}}} foreheadslap.gif

Confidential 893scratchchin-thumb.gif So unless he's done a NPB on Comiclink, he's into the FVF's of the original sale. That seems like a lot to stomach. Anyone friendly enough with Josh to ask him?

All I know is that if we see that book for sale again on eBay with another story about how the sale fell through, we'll know Josh is artificially bumping this guy's price for some reason.

I still wonder why the original sale fell through. If there was an undisclosed flaw that ComicLink was made aware of, it certainly didn't stop them from bidding a 2nd time (although possibly with a slightly lower max).

Ok, to clear up all this nonsense about a possible "shill bid" being in the works. No, it is not a shill bid. The first time around, the seller wanted to charge me (ComicLink) sales tax and after I explained that dealer's do not have to pay sales tax, and offered to send him a resale certificate, he did not offer any further discussion but chose to relist the book. I bid again because I want the book! And, I found a sample of a resale certificate online to show the seller upon winning the auction. I really don't know why he is giving me such a hard time.

It seems like on this forum, many people jump into conspiracy theory mode very quickly. There can be many reasons why a transaction does not work out.

I have found that it is always smart to rule out the positive before jumping to a negative conclusion about something. Not only are problems avoided that way, jumping to a negative conclusion is not healthy for one's state of mind.

Looks like you saved yourself a couple hundred bucks, so his impatience was your gain.

I don't have the guide in front of me, but that seems like a pretty good deal for the 4th Batman appearance - I guess it being a non-cover appearances helps.

It seems like on this forum, many people jump into conspiracy theory mode very quickly. There can be many reasons why a transaction does not work out.

I don't think it was unreasonable to query it and I don't think this thread was particularly negative. Have a stroll in Comics General if you want to see a negative thread.

To an outsider, the deal look strange, especially when you won the book twice. I wanted to bid but the guy refused to ship outside of the US and had that stupid "I'll double the price to any non-US winner" garbage in his listing. I can't see myself having the power to outbid you, but with the $225 saving on the relist and the few hundred extra I could have cost you, you made out like a bandit on the deal!

Well, it looks like I still am not getting the book. He would rather send me 400 word email rants of his (mis)interpretation of how to conduct business then accept a resale certificate and a prompt paypal payment from ComicLink. Go figure. I've never had to ask a seller twice to pay for a book before, especially one above $2K, but to each his own. At this point, I don't trust that if I send payment I will receive the book, so I'm out. Anyone else have a nice Detective 30 for sale, or other early Detectives or Actions in general?

I wanted to bid but the guy refused to ship outside of the US and had that stupid "I'll double the price to any non-US winner" garbage in his listing.

Gary, there are lots of ways to deal with stupid xenophobe dumb-[#@$%!!!] like this, assuming you're still willing to buy from them as a matter of principle. Easiest way is to get a friend or someone you trust in the US to take initial shipment for you and then re-ship to you overseas. Alternatively, if you're on good terms with a dealer, have it sent to them and they do the re-shipping. It's a pain, and you have to pay for US shipping as well as international shipping, but it's a method I've used in one instance where my desire for a book overrode my disdain for the stupidity of the seller.

And have I mentioned that sellers who refuse to ship overseas are stupid useless lazy parochial anti-capitalist [#@$%!!!]-heads?

The seller's feedback history looks like just some guy who buys and sells stuff on Ebay occasionally. I doubt he even has a tax license, and therefore has no business charging sales tax. This is like someone trying to charge you sales tax at a garage sale.

Well, it looks like I still am not getting the book. He would rather send me 400 word email rants of his (mis)interpretation of how to conduct business then accept a resale certificate and a prompt paypal payment from ComicLink. Go figure. I've never had to ask a seller twice to pay for a book before, especially one above $2K, but to each his own. At this point, I don't trust that if I send payment I will receive the book, so I'm out. Anyone else have a nice Detective 30 for sale, or other early Detectives or Actions in general?

Offer him $2,000 for it? insane.gif