• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's that 'one that got away' or that 'one you can't believe you did'?
2 2

117 posts in this topic

Back in '02 we were buying a new house, so I liquidated many books and downgraded many others. I sent a slew of books to CGC, including 9.4 copies of Marvel Spotlight 2, Batman 227/232/234, Hulk 181, etc.,. Amongst these were several high-grade DC horror books, including what was then the only 9.4 copy of DC 100 Page Superspectacular #4.

Anyhow, I sold most of the books, and was planning on selling them all (or I wouldn't have had them slabbed in the 1st place), but the horror books weren't really selling for all that much and I was reluctant to let them go. However, a collector I had done a good bit of business with offered me silly money for the DC 4, so I sold it. To this day, that's the only book I've really regretted selling. Fortunately, about a year later the guy emails me and says he wants to get out of collecting and would I like to buy back some of the books. I said sure, and "Hey, do you still have the DC-4?". Long story short...I bought it back at the same silly money price I sold it for and the book made my "grail list" in the Holy Grail thread...and here it is. cloud9.gif

dc494.jpg

Good to hear a story with a happy ending. laugh.gif

I was about 16, somewhere around 1992-1993when this happened. My buddies and I went ot one of those "ITs A HUGE SALE SALE SALE, TV/VCR's $5 DOLLARS" type sales that we had seen advertised on tv. We thought that we would be able to find like an Alpine or Sony car CD player cheap. Now this was when low end car cd players were like $250 and good one were $400. Anyway, we get up there and we figure out that the ad was misleading. Anyway, we leave and stop by Hero's arent Hard to Find in Charlotte, when it was still over on Central Avenue. So I am looking around and, i wasnt collecting hardly at all, just a few books here and there, and see a X-Men 12 on the wall. Now if you know anything about this store, you know that they have nice high grade books. Well, the guy pulls the book down and I check it out. It was stunning. However, I could not bring myself to pay the whopping sum of $50 for that gem. Still to this day i kick myself. especially when I see that book sell for as much as it does in vf/nm or better.

DB - Got any other copies? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry...have never had another copy better than VF/NM or so. greggy has one of the other 9.4's that he picked up in a Vault Auction, and the 3rd 9.4 copy sold on ebay several years ago for a paltry $450 or so (as I recall).

There is a bit of a story behind this book however, and hopefully I won't get bonked over the head for telling it shy.gif. This copy was listed on ebay as a "NM", but had the typical teeny ebay-size scan. The seller had a few comics listed, as well as numerous pieces of original art from Mad magazine. I emailed him asking for a better scan and learned that the seller was an artist who used to draw for Mad. So he sends me a scan and since the book looks great, I make him an offer-he-can't-refuse, he pulls the auction, and a few days later I'm a happy camper! grin.gif

This was in the pre-CGC days, at a time when sellers like loisandclark, hogations, and nochips were offering quite a bit of NM DC bronze, and the good stuff (the 100 pagers, Super DC Giants, etc.,.) was going for WAY over guide. There were a couple alleged NM copies offered around that time, and just before I picked this up there was another copy that got pulled early, so I learned you either join 'em, or you get left behind. frustrated.gif

Sorry...have never had another copy better than VF/NM or so. greggy has one of the other 9.4's that he picked up in a Vault Auction, and the 3rd 9.4 copy sold on ebay several years ago for a paltry $450 or so (as I recall).

There is a bit of a story behind this book however, and hopefully I won't get bonked over the head for telling it shy.gif. This copy was listed on ebay as a "NM", but had the typical teeny ebay-size scan. The seller had a few comics listed, as well as numerous pieces of original art from Mad magazine. I emailed him asking for a better scan and learned that the seller was an artist who used to draw for Mad. So he sends me a scan and since the book looks great, I make him an offer-he-can't-refuse, he pulls the auction, and a few days later I'm a happy camper! grin.gif

This was in the pre-CGC days, at a time when sellers like loisandclark, hogations, and nochips were offering quite a bit of NM DC bronze, and the good stuff (the 100 pagers, Super DC Giants, etc.,.) was going for WAY over guide. There were a couple alleged NM copies offered around that time, and just before I picked this up there was another copy that got pulled early, so I learned you either join 'em, or you get left behind. frustrated.gif

Yup! frustrated.gif Unless it's you or I, of course! devil.gif

Yup! frustrated.gif Unless it's you or I, of course! devil.gif

But of course! devil.gif

I can't believe that I scribbled on an X-Men #37 when I was a kid...that was a forehead smacker if I ever saw one.

x-men_37_bad.jpg

I love the strategic placement of the GS X-Men # 1 in your pic, Steve! 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

I was at a huge flea market in Webster about a year ago, and some guy had two short boxes with various bronze books. I looked through and was deciding about a Swamp Thing 1 (The Wrightson one) and a Micronauts 1. Either one was $2.50 or was it $5.00. Anyway, I picked the Micronauts, only to realize it was rubbish and the Swamp Thing found a different home.

I did go to a United Way garage sale and found a vendor with four big "banana" boxes. One was all Savage Swords, but the other three were mostly copper marvels. I thought they might have looted the night before, but when I found an old soda bottle and a rpg, felt better. Highlights were DD 131 and ASM 238 and 252.

Convention in early 90's Xmen #1 with a 150.00 price tag. Lower grade but come it's X freaking 1.... Anyway I must have walked past that thing a dozen times.. even back then he was practically giving that book away

I had a bad bad day... I was selling cards and action figures... after splitting the table fee with my two buddies, I had about 80 bucks, and couldnt get the guy to take a check or trade any books... Someone talked him down to 125.00

To this day I still think I should have stiffed my buddy on the table fee...

Back in '02 we were buying a new house, so I liquidated many books and downgraded many others. I sent a slew of books to CGC, including 9.4 copies of Marvel Spotlight 2, Batman 227/232/234, Hulk 181, etc.,. Amongst these were several high-grade DC horror books, including what was then the only 9.4 copy of DC 100 Page Superspectacular #4.

Anyhow, I sold most of the books, and was planning on selling them all (or I wouldn't have had them slabbed in the 1st place), but the horror books weren't really selling for all that much and I was reluctant to let them go. However, a collector I had done a good bit of business with offered me silly money for the DC 4, so I sold it. To this day, that's the only book I've really regretted selling. Fortunately, about a year later the guy emails me and says he wants to get out of collecting and would I like to buy back some of the books. I said sure, and "Hey, do you still have the DC-4?". Long story short...I bought it back at the same silly money price I sold it for and the book made my "grail list" in the Holy Grail thread...and here it is. cloud9.gif

dc494.jpg

Stunning copy, Banner!

And it's good to see that it has a happy ending. 893applaud-thumb.gif