• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ink from printing process on cover is 9.8 still possible?

8 posts in this topic

Someone suggested I post this question here

I've seen some people say defects during the printing process don't really matter and others say they do

If everything else is good with the book would it be able to get a 9.8?

I have a few with ink runoff like these two

sxf7k7.jpg

6hmdfa.jpg

2vbrb7p.jpg

To me, that looks more like rubbing that happened during shipping or during stacking after bindery because the ink wasn't cured all the way. However, if stacked and the ink from the back cover offset onto the front cover of the book under it, it might not take on that appearance. For me, it looks like ink rub, not offsetting.

If the ink is not allowed to cure for the alotted time, it would definitely rub a bit onto the cover underneath it. And if the back cover is black, it's likely "rich" black (using all four process colors to make a deeper color of black) - and that requires more cure time because the ink is laid down on the paper with more density. But, that would be a issue-wide problem. If all issues don't look like this - I'd say you just happened to have picked up a couple that rubbed on each other in the shipping box.

I think Ink rub would not be production related - offsetting would be production related. How it affects grading, I'm not sure - but almost every book I've had that had ink problems, etc - I've had to discount because it doesn't have the same eye appeal as an untainted version in the same grade.

I was under the impression that printing and bindery defects are ignored until you get to the uber grades. I think the highest I have seen a book with a bindery defect is a 9.6 . Possible exception could be if all were manufactured with the same defect. Even then, I'm not sure. I don't think it is worth submitting.

Its possible , this book has an ink manufacture deffect near the bottom stapple and got an 9.8

10410181_245725408968788_5842060779852201475_n.jpg

Looks like the same thing my books have

either way I think i'm just going to sell them

Not worth the risk

Someone suggested I post this question here

I've seen some people say defects during the printing process don't really matter and others say they do

If everything else is good with the book would it be able to get a 9.8?

I have a few with ink runoff like these two

sxf7k7.jpg

6hmdfa.jpg

2vbrb7p.jpg

The questions are:

Are you planning to keep this book after being graded?

---------------- OR----------------------

Are you selling this book after being graded?

I think your book should be fine. Your book may be 9.8 if you believe it will be. I am not concerned about that light smudge. I sold NNT #1 CGC 9.8 WP with the ink smudge on the spine and right edge.

White cover is tough to stay white like ASM #301.