• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist scam...avoid... (Updated 6/26)

737 posts in this topic

In cases like this how difficult is it to get your money back? I assume if he's arrested for the crime, there would be a trial etc and if found guilty then the judge would force repayment but how likely is all that and how much more will something like this cost Chip?

I ask because for some more established sellers here I've paid via check and really want to understand the risks I'm taking.

What can your bank do regarding the money?

I've spoken to my bank rep and she spoke to their loss prevention division. There's nothing they can do but she was able to get me the phone numbers for the bank it was cashed/deposited it and I've spoken to a manager there about this. She's going to talk to the bank manager and see if there's anything they can do to help. They will get back to me either today or tomorrow about it and if so my bank's LP department is willing to partner with them to get my cash back.

Peace,

Chip

Isn't Western NY Filter81's neck of the woods? Maybe PM him and ask if he knows the guy or knows of the guy. I gotta believe if he's a scam artist, he's probably tried to play one over on Filter.

Well, that's what I figured. Once he had my money, if he was a scam artist then he would certainly have responded to April's inquiry about the books as well as immediately stop communicating with me. He did neither. It's only been since the date past where he was going to ship the books that I've heard nothing.

I know Adam's really busy...I didn't want to bother him.

Peace,

Chip

In cases like this how difficult is it to get your money back? I assume if he's arrested for the crime, there would be a trial etc and if found guilty then the judge would force repayment but how likely is all that and how much more will something like this cost Chip?

I'm not sure. Today is the first day I've put things in motion. I didn't want to start it up on Friday and then have the weekend get in the way of communication and action by police and banks. A lot has already happened so I think I'm moving forward somewhat.

Peace,

Chip

What can your bank do regarding the money?

I've spoken to my bank rep and she spoke to their loss prevention division. There's nothing they can do but she was able to get me the phone numbers for the bank it was cashed/deposited it and I've spoken to a manager there about this. She's going to talk to the bank manager and see if there's anything they can do to help. They will get back to me either today or tomorrow about it and if so my bank's LP department is willing to partner with them to get my cash back.

Peace,

Chip

That's a start.

A police report is going to give you that much more of a chance. I don't know how much but keep calling until you get someone that will help you file a report.

You can also contact the DA's office directly and file a complaint with them yourself-they can take direct action.

I ask because for some more established sellers here I've paid via check and really want to understand the risks I'm taking.

I dont think you would ever see a trial for that small of an amount.

A police report is going to give you that much more of a chance. I don't know how much but keep calling until you get someone that will help you file a report.

A local police report has already been filed. Why the Erie County Police made me file a local one I have no idea, but it will be ready for me to pick up my copy on Wednesday.

Peace,

Chip

You can also contact the DA's office directly and file a complaint with them yourself-a letter from the DA's office has gotten me my money back before....

This is why I was looking for legal advice in the Water Cooler Forum...I am not sure what to do legally other than what I was doing, and once I was told it's a civil matter I was out of stuff I could do myself.

Peace,

Chip

Isn't Western NY Filter81's neck of the woods? Maybe PM him and ask if he knows the guy or knows of the guy. I gotta believe if he's a scam artist, he's probably tried to play one over on Filter.

Well, that's what I figured. Once he had my money, if he was a scam artist then he would certainly have responded to April's inquiry about the books as well as immediately stop communicating with me. He did neither. It's only been since the date past where he was going to ship the books that I've heard nothing.

I know Adam's really busy...I didn't want to bother him.

Peace,

Chip

I definitely think he's a scam artist. I never look at Craigslist in other cities than ones I frequent, and I've seen this ad posted in those. I look up Fayetteville, Charleston, Raleigh, etc. So he must be posting in multiple cities.

I believe if you sent the check by mail then it is mail fraud. Go online and see if you can file a report about mail fraud at USPS.com. It worked for me a few years back and it scared the guy into sending my books out.

Was this guy spamming his ad all over CL?

The link you posted is to the Craiglist site for Charleston, SC, but in the ad he states that the books are in Western NY. That seems like a big red flag right there...

The link you posted is to the Craiglist site for Charleston, SC, but in the ad he states that the books are in Western NY. That seems like a big red flag right there...

Yep. That's where my confusion came from when he said he never does out-of-state purchases through Craigslist. I knew I had seen that ad locally. I would've have thought something was up when I saw it was in the NY area even though he was posting in SC.

Yep. That's where my confusion came from when he said he never does out-of-state purchases through Craigslist. I knew I had seen that ad locally. I would've have thought something was up when I saw it was in the NY area even though he was posting in SC.

That ad also came up in Chicago, I remember he also gave me the line about his PP account being new.

I know, and I thought that as well. However, after the extensive communication with the seller before and after payment as well as the way I paid I thought that it wasn't a scam.

Peace,

Chip

You can also contact the DA's office directly and file a complaint with them yourself-a letter from the DA's office has gotten me my money back before....

This is why I was looking for legal advice in the Water Cooler Forum...I am not sure what to do legally other than what I was doing, and once I was told it's a civil matter I was out of stuff I could do myself.

Peace,

Chip

Yep do a mail fraud complaint too.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactus/filecomplaint.aspx

Can you still stop payment on the check? I had a similar situation on ebay some years ago. My bank said I had a right to stop payment up to 90 days.

The bank may not tell you this unless you demand to stop payment.

Sorry this happened to you :sorry:

Peace,

Chip

Just keep piling up evidence as I think small claims court would be your most likely option if you are not able to get satisfaction any other way.

Can you still stop payment on the check? I had a similar situation on ebay some years ago. My bank said I had a right to stop payment up to 90 days.

The bank may not tell you this unless you demand to stop payment.

Sorry this happened to you :sorry:

Thanks. I did call my bank rep this morning. I've known her for several years and she's really very nice and kind to me and my family. She has a pic of my daughter on her wall. :) That being said, she said she contacted the loss-prevention department and there wasn't anything that they could do on their own but if the bank in NY where it was cashed could help they would work with them to get my cash back.

Peace,

Chip