• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a joke these registry awards are

222 posts in this topic

And this is where the conversation leads. Niche collections represented on the registry. CGC tries to accommodate as many as possible. Increasing points for these and about 6 other things I can mention do nothing but create frustration.

But if there is a set of all 9.8's and another all 9.8's and half pedigrees, those sets are NOT equal and should not be treated the same points wise. :sorry:

It's a joke to assume that a Pedigree book is inherently better than a non-Pedigree book. Maybe its, but maybe it isn't. If it's a Curator, it's likely, if it's a Savannah, not so much.

But it's unique or different, right? It has some sort of significance to the book - otherwise, why would it even have any sort of recognition.

I just think points should be awarded (even negligible points) for that distinction.

It's something that can not be recreated. It's one of a kind.

Maybe some don't want a SS book. meh

I just get back to my original point:

A full set of 9.8 is NOT the same as a full set of 9.8 with Pedigrees. (shrug)

Instead of complaining why not be thankful they recognize pedigrees at all? There are many,many, many point structures we can add to the registry. In the end there would be a bunch of personal sets.

But it's unique or different, right? It has some sort of significance to the book - otherwise, why would it even have any sort of recognition.

I just think points should be awarded (even negligible points) for that distinction.

So also

Manufacturing errors

Canadian editions

Foreign language editions

Double covers

Low print run Reprints

More points all around?

Harvey,

I have posted about this several times, back when I was interested in the Registry. The Registry is a marketing tool for CGC. It was set up to increase subs. SS books get the 10% bump, because it encourages people to get SS books done, which increases subs, especially the much beloved crack and re-sub.

Giving Pedigrees extra points does nothing to increase subs, in fact it may have a chilling effect on subs, if, for example, the highest copy of Comic X is the Pacific Coast in 9.8. Why would I even try to compete in that arena if a certain blue label is already mathematically the top book? God forbid someone have entire runs of the Mass. ped in 9.8. hm

It is not a bad idea, per se. But it is a bad idea for CGC's business model.

Jeff, I'm sorry you mistook my personal opinion and enjoyment regarding pedigrees and a suggestion to add points for pedigree sets as complaining because you disagree. :foryou:

Me disagreeing has nothing to do with it. You commented in a complaint thread about something "more important". lol

Harvey,

I have posted about this several times, back when I was interested in the Registry. The Registry is a marketing tool for CGC. It was set up to increase subs. SS books get the 10% bump, because it encourages people to get SS books done, which increases subs, especially the much beloved crack and re-sub.

Giving Pedigrees extra points does nothing to increase subs, in fact it may have a chilling effect on subs, if, for example, the highest copy of Comic X is the Pacific Coast in 9.8. Why would I even try to compete in that arena if a certain blue label is already mathematically the top book? God forbid someone have entire runs of the Mass. ped in 9.8. hm

Non-lawyer speak.... Golden tickets kill competition.

Harvey,

Sean, believe me - I get that this is the real reason that CGC doesn't want to change the structure that is in place - $. I fully understand that and it's somewhat sad I guess. Here's how I look at it. I love the Daredevil Miller Run registry set. I'm currently 7th. I will never even crack the top 3 because those guys are just - :o(worship) with the 9.9's. At the end of it all, I'll just be happy to have a full run of 9.8's. But then I could just easily be lumped in with a few people that have 9.8's. You wouldn't know my set is any different unless you looked at it and saw pedigrees. Something about that just doesn't seem right. (shrug)

I definitely get what you're saying though that it is a marketing tool for CGC and encourages participation in the SS program leading to more $. I guess it is what it is.

SS books get a points bumped because the CGC makes money off of the SS program. It's marketing in order to sell the SS program... and it works.

Pedigreed books will never get any additional points.

It behooves the CGC to dole out pedigree status on newly found original owner collections because it typically guarantees that the entity bringing it to market will send the books to be encapsulated. If the collection in question receives a pedigree designation then it can be used as another form of, get ready, marketing in order to increase the profitability of selling the collection. Which, outside of the initial encapsulation of the books, garners the CGC not additional income.

SS books get a points bumped because the CGC makes money off of the SS program. It's marketing in order to sell the SS program... and it works.

Pedigreed books will never get any additional points.

It behooves the CGC to dole out pedigree status on newly found original owner collections because it typically guarantees that the entity bringing it to market will send the books to be encapsulated. If the collection in question receives a pedigree designation then it can be used as another form of, get ready, marketing in order to increase the profitability of selling the collection. Which, outside of the initial encapsulation of the books, garners the CGC not additional income.

I understand. It equals $. Again - it is what it is. (shrug)

Pedigree points. A little arbitrary isn't it?

I don't think it's arbitrary at all.

It's my understanding that CGC designates pedigree status for the overall superior quality of the books, not just provenance. And a lot of collectors pay a premium for them, not just GA but SA as well.

I know the reasoning CGC shot down the idea initially was because some pedigrees are seen as better than others, but the same could be said about sig series books--because a Stan Lee sig is pretty easy to obtain versus a Frank Miller, to say nothing of the creators who've passed away.

The point bump for all sigs seems to be okay with most, so a point bump for all peds seems salient. 2c