• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wide Wide World of Poor

70 posts in this topic

Holy cannonball Batman! So, its obvious on the Tec but what's the problem with the Action?

cfo

When I first saw the book it was still in the slab, certified by a relative novice and it had gotten a restored label due to color ouch. The owner sold it for a fraction of the value for a poor (upon deslabification the color touch was deemed easily removable)

5strangetales139equaltogvgs_zpsf7ab890d.jpg

I love this - take the least valuable Silver Age Marvel you can find and get it signed by Stan Lee for an SS slab. I wonder if the owner grabbed it out of a quarter box at the same show as the signing. lol

Just incomplete is not "poor condition" :sumo:

Excellent distinction.

So, can you tell me if an otherwise HG NM book with just a missing clipped coupon would come off the CGC grading assembly line as a 0.5 Incomplete graded book? ???

Just incomplete is not "poor condition" :sumo:

Excellent distinction.

So, can you tell me if an otherwise HG NM book with just a missing clipped coupon would come off the CGC grading assembly line as a 0.5 Incomplete graded book? ???

You could ask for a Qualified grade the way I understand it

125qhja.jpg
Who would give the cap 3 that grade.

Like I had already stated in an earlier post.......there are beautiful looking HG 0.5's (like this Cap 3 and the earlier FF 4) and then there are the true POS looking 0.5's. :screwy:

It's like the difference between night and day and CGC really should adjust their grading system to take this into account. hm

maybe I'm being contrarian but to me, it doesn't need changing - the different poors are day & night, sure, but its so easy to tell which type of poor you are dealing with just from looking at the book, and just because two Poors are the same grade doesn't mean they need to have the same value.

I think what you might be saying is that look, there is a difference in which one I would want and pay for - well that's fine, but clearly they take the policy that any incomplete book is a poor, and I can't really argue with that too much. I don't mind a bright line grade for incomplete books 2c

I usually avoid Poors as I find books that worn to be tough to enjoy, but I recently purchased not one but THREE books that are technically poors :insane: I don't mind books that are slightly incomplete but otherwise higher grades if the price is right or the book is otherwise unavailable.

Side Rant: Can someone at CGC get a fricking clue about labelling on Cdn Whites? The Wow 15 has: no date listed, no artist or writer info, significant first appearance not noted, etc etc. Its like they are throwing it in a slab and going "UHH DON'T ASK US WE HAVE NO IDEA" :insane:

RADA57042014317_135418.jpg

RAD56D522014317_171032.jpg

RAD99F1E2014317_165344.jpg

125qhja.jpg
Who would give the cap 3 that grade.

Like I had already stated in an earlier post.......there are beautiful looking HG 0.5's (like this Cap 3 and the earlier FF 4) and then there are the true POS looking 0.5's. :screwy:

It's like the difference between night and day and CGC really should adjust their grading system to take this into account. hm

maybe I'm being contrarian but to me, it doesn't need changing - the different poors are day & night, sure, but its so easy to tell which type of poor you are dealing with just from looking at the book, and just because two Poors are the same grade doesn't mean they need to have the same value.

I think what you might be saying is that look, there is a difference in which one I would want and pay for - well that's fine, but clearly they take the policy that any incomplete book is a poor, and I can't really argue with that too much. I don't mind a bright line grade for incomplete books 2c

I would tend to agree. I think that calling any book half a point makes less sense than having a "one" be the lowest number (and having more than ten points overall, like a hundred). But it's too late to start from scratch. So I couldn't begin to say how it could be adjusted by graders.

The real adjustment has to be in how each is valued. People like to be able to quantify values per point, but that formula doesn't work as well for the low grade books and especially not when you drop below a point and two books with the same grade can vary even more widely than a couple of books graded 6.0 or so.

I usually avoid Poors as I find books that worn to be tough to enjoy, but I recently purchased not one but THREE books that are technically poors :insane: I don't mind books that are slightly incomplete but otherwise higher grades if the price is right or the book is otherwise unavailable.

Side Rant: Can someone at CGC get a fricking clue about labelling on Cdn Whites? The Wow 15 has: no date listed, no artist or writer info, significant first appearance not noted, etc etc. Its like they are throwing it in a slab and going "UHH DON'T ASK US WE HAVE NO IDEA" :insane:

RADA57042014317_135418.jpg

RAD56D522014317_171032.jpg

RAD99F1E2014317_165344.jpg

Bronty..I REALLy REALLY love them>with the Whites,I will even take them coverless at times.Wonderful books sir.