• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly WW Con Report (Brief)

126 posts in this topic

Tumbleweed.gif

Where did everybody go?

It was a ghost town almost all Friday.

At least it meant I could walk right up to Neal Adams and get a signed print. He tried hard to get me to buy three for just $50. But I was really just paying to shake his hand because he's the man.

Top flight dealers like Highgradecomics and Greg Reece were there with some awesome stuff, but compared to when I last attended two years ago, I bet there weren't half as many dealers in total. I was looking for some smaller books to fill out runs and was also hoping to sort through some bins of romance books and finally start that part of my collection but... nothin'. Almost nothing anyway. Did get a Conan 272 which might not mean a lot to you but now I have the complete run so that's something anyway. Got a NM- -ish Modeling with Millie 36 for half off an already reasonable sticker. Conan and Millie seem happy together.

Only saw a half-dozen Harley Quinns and that's 1/20th as many as usual.

Are the kids all waiting for the Walking Dead celebs tomorrow?

Even poor Lou Ferrigno and Christopher Lloyd barely had anyone to talk to.

everyone is at HeroesCon.

Yup. If you want to run two major shows (esp. East Coast shows) on the same weekend it's going to make pickings slim and nobody really wins.

Yup. If you want to run two major shows (esp. East Coast shows) on the same weekend it's going to make pickings slim and nobody really wins.

shelton usually has the same dates every year and WW always seems to WANT to compete with him. its stupid and not good for the hobby.

Yup, everyone is at Heroes fighting over the $2500 in the room.

I fell for boardies saying what a great show it is.

$2500 in retail sales is not a great show. I did double that this morning sitting and drinking coffee at my desk.

Charlotte is a nice city, that's all that is good about it.

I agree. I was a pretty hard NE con guy for over a decade and it never occurred to me, ever, to go to Heroes.

That said, this Philly show gets worse and worse every year it seems. I loved it about a decade ago but last year it was in and out for me and I won't be back. I spent more time in Market Station or whatever it is across the street getting good eats than I did in the con.

$2500 in retail sales is not a great show. I did double that this morning sitting and drinking coffee at my desk.

...this information is useless.... unless you were ALSO in your underwear. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lol It's definitely not going to have as many big money spenders that the North East has but there are a few. Maybe just not enough for too many high end dealers.

I think what really hurt Philly this year is the combination of New York City Special Edition last weekend and Heroes this weekend. I was in NYC last weekend and skipped Philly for Heroes for that very reason.

And while Heroes is not a huge draw for NYC and Philly crowd (although I was standing next to a guy in a Pizza joint who drove down with his wife and 2 year old kid from Queens), it does siphon off some of the creative talent (which is a big draw for shows), some dealers, and some customers.

Finally, the room definitely has less dealers in it than last year and I assume part of the reason is Philly.

shelton usually has the same dates every year and WW always seems to WANT to compete with him. its stupid and not good for the hobby.

And he's already rebooked next year's dates.

I'm sure there are some people (dealers and customers) who might visit both shows if they were consecutive.

hm

I bought two books from the Heroes con, and I'm not even there. :/

hm

thank that says volumes about one thing,,, its all about money , may people off but its not about the comics anymore. i want ever go to a wizard event, spend $50+ to get in the door, $10-15 to park just to be able to buy books.

You assume that Wizard wants to compete with Charlotte. It is possible that these were the only dates available to Wizard.

hm

thank that says volumes about one thing,,, its all about money , may people off but its not about the comics anymore. i want ever go to a wizard event, spend $50+ to get in the door, $10-15 to park just to be able to buy books.

Wha?

No Baltimore is where you go when you love comics and dealers make money.

And I'm speaking from the viewpoint of someone who isn't a dealer, just a convention going comic collector. Heroes is 40 bucks for 3 days. I can get great deals on books, meet artists and mingle at the Westin all for a great price in a family oriented environment. I'm not paying 50 bucks for a single day ticket. That's Theme park prices...