• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly WW Con Report (Brief)

126 posts in this topic

We are at Heroes this weekend in booth 420 and 422. Please come shop with us. We didn't even sell $1000 of our reasonably priced, quality merchandise yesterday. For now we will blame that on our booth placement (we did decide to attend late). But if we don't see some improvement today and tomorrow then we will have to blame it on the frugal citizens of Charlotte. So come on and protect the civic reputation of North Carolina by shopping at Bedrock City in booth 420 and 422!

How many copies of Flintstones can one man expect to sell? :sumo:

I was noticing the lack of big comic dealers in Philly this weekend. But part of me likes that the show has something for everyone really...makes it easier for me to get family buy-in. Plenty of comic-related shopping (t-shirts, eyeglasses, tumblers, lightsabers, etc), lots of artists, lots of pretty decent celebrities to keep everyone happy.

Spent Friday mostly with the artists buying prints. Some incredible talents there trying to break into the comic business and/or make a name for themselves with a few legends mixed in. Always fun to watch them work and my experience is that they're very friendly and really great with kids.

Saturday was celebrity photo ops for my now-teenage daughter, which I hate (lots of standing around in line) but she loves...I mean, Quicksilver just on the heels of that incredible X-Men scene he was in? That was a huge deal for her. The photo pickup process was an incredible mess though. The outfit running that operation was a disaster with an absolutely boneheaded pickup system that left an irate crowd of thousands battling each other until the con closed Saturday.

However, as much as I hated the crowds and standing in line...I must say there is something magical about sitting against a wall to eat a pretzel near the photo-ops booths and having Matt Smith and Whoopi Goldberg walk by 3 feet in front of you!

Between photos I had time to dig around in some nearby comic bins. Was too rushed to mess with wall books, but did pick up really nice copies of All-Star 63 (Solomon Grundy) and Mister Miracle 4 (Big Barda) from JHV Associates at fair prices. Would've probably picked up more if I had the time to dig deeper.

My experience was that all of the distractions kept me from spending more at the comic tables. When I was able to browse, it seemed like mostly people were raiding dollar boxes...but that could just be because those were the types of dealers I was mostly encountering nearest the photo-op lines.

Went back to Charlotte for the first time in 10 years. Impressed how Charlotte has grown.

I was helping a dealer who only brought in higher-priced books. Did sales on Saturday that was good as a day at San Diego. And most sales were to the "public", not dealers.

Good books at good prices sell well anywhere.

Favorite story....... early Saturday, a mother and her two kids, a son and daughter, stopped by the booth. They were obviously new at collecting and conventions. The mother mentioned that it was her son's 21st birthday and she wanted to get him an X-Men 1. We had two. Had a great time showing the books to them, explaining how grading works, and giving them some tips on how to work the room, take notes, and buy what you thing is your best value.

Mom thanked me for the help. As they walked away, she explained that her husband died suddenly a few months ago and it was really hard on her son. He came across an box of his father's comics and started reading them. He really liked X-Men, as his father did, and reading these books gave him a connection to his dad and helped get him out of his funk.

That's why she was buying him an X-Men 1 for him. What a story! They came back at the end of the show and bought one of ours. The look of pure joy on their faces was priceless.

This, my friends, is what comic book collecting is all about.

Just to prove Bob smiles...(don't kill me for posting it)

IMG_1322.jpg

This might have been after a night of dice as well. lol

I think that was right after he pinched the baby before handing it back to its mother...., :whistle:

Great story. I enjoyed reading about that. :)

Yup, me too. Making the world a better place one person at a time.

One guy walked around at Heroes today and counted booths who were primarily comic dealers, and there were over 50 different booths.

My wife actually said there were too many comic dealers and not enough "other" stuff at Heroes this year. lol

I told her most of the t shirt vendors were probably in Philly.

They came back at the end of the show and bought one of ours. The look of pure joy on their faces was priceless.

This, my friends, is what comic book collecting is all about.

:applause: Great story - I needed some happy today.

My quick and to the point WW Philly report:

d54c60521031ef4a.gif

For those at the show that know these boys (wells guys now) made Blazing Bob dance at his house right after they left the booth. :banana:

Who says celebrities don't bring sales to a dealer's booth.

Phone Conversation:

SOT: He wants the book

Bob: Credit Card company may freeze his account for fraud protection on this amount

SOT: Ok will tell him

4 Guys at the Booth: It should be okay we are the Backstreet Boys

SOT: Bob its ok they are the Backstreet boys

Bob: Singing "Backstreet Back alright".

While doing the Happy dance Bob then adds the band to this Pandora stations. (thumbs u

Yes the show was bad on Friday, probably the most frustrated I have ever been while behind a booth for a show on a single business day ever. That being said the vintage dealers that were there did what I would say is the minimum amount to justify the expenses and sales made to do the show again next year. CGC onsite grading always helps me personally always wanting to attend the show as well as running Bob's booth mixed with visiting my friends and family in my home city.

All in all the buying at the show was decent and Saturday/Sunday was much better for sales so at the end of the weekend I would say it all worked out.