• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is big deal about Darkhawk?

41 posts in this topic

I noticed Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8 on ebay is now selling over $100.

What is all about this book?

Another example of Rule of 25! :cloud9:

The Rule of 25:

There are always at least 25 gullible people willing to jump on the next "hot" thing, regardless of what common sense tells you.

I noticed Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.8 on ebay is now selling over $100.

What is all about this book?

Another example of Rule of 25! :cloud9:

The Rule of 25:

There are always at least 25 gullible people willing to jump on the next "hot" thing, regardless of what common sense tells you.

To be fair the original Darkhawk run lasted 50 issues.

When was the last time a comic book reached 50 issues by Marvel or DC?

In fact Darkhawk at 50 issues would be considered a hit nowadays.

I remember when old school collectors mocked at Walking Dead, and Deadpool, so I will give Darkhawk the benefit of the doubt.

50 issues tells me it had an audience.

Maybe not big like Spider-Man or Batman, but maybe big like Guardians of the Galaxy.

;)

Why are people asking $100 each for Darkhawk #1? Cause sometimes they can get it, every quarter I take a hard look at the ones on ebay and weigh buying one with my ebay bucks.

I was looking for a 9.8 DH1 like mad at the St. Louis WW, Danny Fingeroth was in attendance and I didn't bring my raw copy. Alot of venders had the book for $10+ and everyone was a 9.4 at best (CB spine creases everywhere). Like most books from the 90's everyone has a copy but not many have 9.8 highgrade copies unless you can go through a dealers stock (that usually doesn't see the light of day).

I do not believe DH1 is worth $100, X-men #4 only goes for 80ish on the high side at auction and I would consider Omega Red larger than DH. Eventually though I will pick up a copy as I want one for SS.

I'd love to see a pick of the Manley remark (specifically the location as the cover is a bit dark).

Why are people asking $100 each for Darkhawk #1? Cause sometimes they can get it, every quarter I take a hard look at the ones on ebay and weigh buying one with my ebay bucks.

I was looking for a 9.8 DH1 like mad at the St. Louis WW, Danny Fingeroth was in attendance and I didn't bring my raw copy. Alot of venders had the book for $10+ and everyone was a 9.4 at best (CB spine creases everywhere). Like most books from the 90's everyone has a copy but not many have 9.8 highgrade copies unless you can go through a dealers stock (that usually doesn't see the light of day).

I do not believe DH1 is worth $100, X-men #4 only goes for 80ish on the high side at auction and I would consider Omega Red larger than DH. Eventually though I will pick up a copy as I want one for SS.

I'd love to see a pick of the Manley remark (specifically the location as the cover is a bit dark).

True, but DH1 has "FANTASTIC 1ST ISSUE!" on the cover, and some people still go gaga over that.

IMHO, DH#1 won't mean anything other than speculation until the low grade books draw good $$. A #1 in high grade is all I'm seeing. I know quite a few collectors like(d) the series, and that's great, but I really don't see the draw, personally.

I do have two copies (OO purchased when I had a bad case of 90's speculativitis) that might make 9.8, but I'm not sure I want to go through the process and wind up with two 9.6 outcasts lol

I'll have to look, are 9.6's making $$ (rhetorical)?

(Just looked), Not worth it, yet.

OT: Oh hey! There's a 9.8 #50 for $339. hm

Darkhawk Annihilation = cool.

Darkhawk original series = nice concept, mostly boring.

This thread is how this site single handedly artificially inflates that prices of books...

According to GPA, 34 9.8s have sold in the last two years, at about an average of $100 per slab. You really think that's all due to this site?

Two sold this weekend for below what I'm actively paying for 9.8s.

Kind of sad I missed them...but I was celebrating the upcoming birthday a week early so I think it'll work out.

Here's my two cents...and being actively in pursuit of 9.8 1s, take this for what you will.

In the 90s I liked Spider-Man above all, but behind that I also liked Nova and Darkhawk. So years later I was uber lucky enough to pull a near mint Nova 1 from a fifty cent box-got it slabbed and attempted selling my 9.8 White on the boards for $250. No takers just kept it until I finally got about $500 on eBay.

Now I see in Darkhawk a lot of similarities with Nova. Both has first appearances in their own short lived self titled book. Both look really cool and have really cool powers. Hunting down Nova 1s would be costly at this point, but DH is still relatively cheap and a newsstand 1 9.8 is basically nonexistent. I'm also up for paying a premium on a 9.9 if/when one surfaces.

DH 1 is no longer in dollar boxes from what I can tell, raw is easily a $5-$10 book.

In a few years the right writer with 90s nostalgia is going to make DH explode! Heck, he's one guest appearance from a Marvel Saturday morning show away from getting hot.

So you guys keep your money for now and I'll just keep buying these DH 1s on the cheap.

Two sold this weekend for below what I'm actively paying for 9.8s.

Kind of sad I missed them...but I was celebrating the upcoming birthday a week early so I think it'll work out.

Here's my two cents...and being actively in pursuit of 9.8 1s, take this for what you will.

In the 90s I liked Spider-Man above all, but behind that I also liked Nova and Darkhawk. So years later I was uber lucky enough to pull a near mint Nova 1 from a fifty cent box-got it slabbed and attempted selling my 9.8 White on the boards for $250. No takers just kept it until I finally got about $500 on eBay.

Now I see in Darkhawk a lot of similarities with Nova. Both has first appearances in their own short lived self titled book. Both look really cool and have really cool powers. Hunting down Nova 1s would be costly at this point, but DH is still relatively cheap and a newsstand 1 9.8 is basically nonexistent. I'm also up for paying a premium on a 9.9 if/when one surfaces.

DH 1 is no longer in dollar boxes from what I can tell, raw is easily a $5-$10 book.

In a few years the right writer with 90s nostalgia is going to make DH explode! Heck, he's one guest appearance from a Marvel Saturday morning show away from getting hot.

So you guys keep your money for now and I'll just keep buying these DH 1s on the cheap.

^ This.

I bought #1 off the spinner rack at Safeway when I was a kid. Huge fan base for those of us in our thirties. 9.8 are not easy to find. I have 14 really nice raw copies from over the years in the wild , all nice nm/nm+, but I don't believe any are 9.8....

I was very lucky a few months back - a LCS got in a bunch of longboxes for the $.50 section and I got to dig first and found a couple very clean copies of #1 (and a MTU #141)! Felt like :acclaim:

From what i have heard #50 had a low print run that may be the reason for the asking price? I have a few that are close to 9.8 just not sure on them and unwilling to make the gamble. That may change down the road.