• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

Lets not forget most of these "investments" were originally priced at $.10-$.15. Even mid-grade JLA's and Sgt Fury's going for $15 have gone up 10,000%+. The majority of books get a 5-10% bump in the guide. I'm not saying to roll 20% of your 401k into a Showcase #4, but to say that books are a poor investment is inaccurate, especially when 5 year CD's are yielding 1.5%.

I'm not banking on comics, nor do I have deep pockets, but as a DD collector I am interested to see which characters will be appearing in the new Netflix series. They will also be doing Power Man (Luke Cage), Iron Fist, Jessica Jones (Alias) shows in the Netflix original series format with a 5th yet to be named (Heroes for Hire/Defenders?). I found a DD# 254 in the $1 bin today 9.6 or better (first Typhoid Mary). While I don't expect to become rich through comics, I have always loved the idea of picking up something at a bargain that takes off later, it is part of the fun of collecting.

comic book and investing shouldn't appear in the same sentence

This is absolutely not true without further clarification to support your statment.

Are you talking about this from a return on investment point of view, lack of liquidity with comics, extended holding period for comics, etc.?

Like any other investment asset, I think it really depends on what type of comic books you are referring to in your particular example here. Although the overwhelming majority of comics should only be brought for reading or entertainment purposes, there are most probably a larger number than you think that would qualify as good solid investments. hm

Lets not forget most of these "investments" were originally priced at $.10-$.15. Even mid-grade JLA's and Sgt Fury's going for $15 have gone up 10,000%+. .

It is a waste of time to "invest" in comic books.

For as many winners as there have been, there are many, many losers.

One of the most expensive books in 1980 was Four Color Comics Vol 2. #9. It listed for $1800 in "mint", which was a fortune at the time (and Action #1 was $9200.) It was Carl Barks dreaminess, and it was near the top for pricey comics (#15th most expensive.)

And, even if you could find the book, the odds were very great that it was, at best, a modern F/VF.

What is its F/VF value now? $3500, or thereabouts. It barely breaks the top 100 now.

Sure, anyone who bought high grade gold and silver superhero did very well...if they could find it. Finding it, not so easy. Finding it unrestored, even harder.

I have tens of thousands of comics books that I bought brand new, and, with few exceptions (New Mutants #98) have all turned out to be huge duds. The only thing...and I mean the ONLY thing...that saved me is that I have always been extremely particular about condition, so just about everything I ever bought off the stands is 9.8 or better.

But you don't have that option, at least, not very easily, when buying back issues, unless you buy slabs. Slabs are a poor investment, especially those bought at the peak of hype.

And God forbid what could happen if physical copies cease being published.

Don't invest. You will probably fail (that's what the odds say.) Buy what you love, and if it goes up, consider it a bonus.

Man, it sounds like your dreams have been crushed. Ya gotta be more picky, big guy. In my first post I mention Forever People #1, the first full appearance of Darkseid. Now granted I own 17 copies, 12 of which are slabbed, but I predict that book will outperform the DJIA over the next 24 months, even after subtracting 10% for commissions. You have to buy stuff before it gets hot and be very picky and very patient. Buying new comics indiscriminately will only cause you grief. That strategy hasn't worked since they raised the price to $.50 a book 30-some years ago.

Man, it sounds like your dreams have been crushed. Ya gotta be more picky, big guy. In my first post I mention Forever People #1, the first full appearance of Darkseid. Now granted I own 17 copies, 12 of which are slabbed, but I predict that book will outperform the DJIA over the next 24 months, even after subtracting 10% for commissions. You have to buy stuff before it gets hot and be very picky and very patient. Buying new comics indiscriminately will only cause you grief. That strategy hasn't worked since they raised the price to $.50 a book 30-some years ago.

doh!

THAT'S what I've been missing all these years.

I especially enjoyed this line:

"You have to buy stuff before it gets hot."

That's quite possibly the greatest investment advice I've ever seen, anywhere.

hm

doh!

hm

My investment advice is to only buy stocks that go up!

doh!

hm

I'm telling you Rocky, pigs and garbage dumps are where the action is going to be in the future - you gotta invest now, before they're hot. :cool:

As always, there's probably a middle ground between "comics are bad investments" and speculation based purchases.

I've never bought a comic as an investment, but like most of the people on here, I've sold off a few at a nice profit. For me, it just occasionally happens, although never with a profit margin big enough to do anything but buy a few books to fill in runs with the proceeds.

There are great investment books out there, but they require more $ than I'm ever going to spend. More power to those who can. It's just another part of our hobby.

doh!

hm

I'm telling you Rocky, pigs and garbage dumps are where the action is going to be in the future - you gotta invest now, before they're hot. :cool:

Right.

Like this:

1. Underpants.

2. ???

3. PROFIT!

So easy, a gnome could do it.