• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Investing

1,421 posts in this topic

Movies seem to be driving the marketplace and the only film on the horizon is GOTG and those books are outrageously priced. I'd like to hear some thoughts on books from each age that folks think will do well over the next 6-12 months. In an effort to stir the pot, ill go first.

Golden Age-How about All Star #3? 1st superhero team ever, but the book never seems to put up huge numbers. I believe that could change.

Silver Age-Taking a bit of a gamble here. I'm in the camp that thinks there might be a bit of a bubble in SA Marvels. That said, TOS #46 is compelling. It's only a matter of time before the classic US vs USSR angle hits the big screen. It's tried and true and Crimson Dynamo is as good a bet as any to play the protagonist.

Bronze Age-Forever People #1. No brainer. Probably more of these in circulation due to it being Kirby's baby than say GL #76 or HOS #92, but c'mon people. The first full Darkseid shouldn't be trading at the same price as the first full Taskmaster.

Copper Age-New Mutants 98 hasn't budged over the past year, making it still fairly affordable.

Modern Age-Walking Dead #100 chrome. Should pop when Negan shows up on AMC.

Just my take, guys. I'd love to hear some other opinions. Thanks in advance.

Marvel Premiere #1, Strange Tales #180 and the Star Wars Empire Strikes Back run are really great books to invest in.

I disagree with TOS 46, they already used the Russian angle in Iron Man 2, when they turned Mark Scarlotti into a Russian scientist. They went so far as to give him the first Dynamo's last name, Vanko.

I will point out that people like to keep their secrets while they hoard, so you may not get much helpful advice.

Certificates of deposit yielding 150 basis points and the majority of stocks appear pricey. USB, VEU, AAPL, DUK all seem to be well managed and have a nice yield but I own plenty of shares as is. Nothing wrong with pursuing alternatives. Now back to the comics.

Movies seem to be driving the marketplace and the only film on the horizon is GOTG and those books are outrageously priced. I'd like to hear some thoughts on books from each age that folks think will do well over the next 6-12 months. In an effort to stir the pot, ill go first.

Golden Age-How about All Star #3? 1st superhero team ever, but the book never seems to put up huge numbers. I believe that could change.

Silver Age-Taking a bit of a gamble here. I'm in the camp that thinks there might be a bit of a bubble in SA Marvels. That said, TOS #46 is compelling. It's only a matter of time before the classic US vs USSR angle hits the big screen. It's tried and true and Crimson Dynamo is as good a bet as any to play the protagonist.

Just my take, guys. I'd love to hear some other opinions. Thanks in advance.

It`s funny that you mention Crimson Dynamo, as about a few months ago when all the Vladimir Putin controversy stuff was going down I was trying to figure out what top Marvel and DC Heroes had Russian ties.

I found that these stand out.

300px-Tales_of_Suspense_Vol_1_46.jpg

2464768-avengers043.jpg

130-1.jpg

For DC any key appearances of

200px-Dmitrirr.png

DC has a lot of potential this year

My top ten with no particular are :

- Forever people 1

- Jimmy Olsen 135 - just in case the market decides that this is the full app

- Brave and the Bold 85 -

- Hawkman 4 , low grades

- Star Wars 42

- Tales of the teen Titans 44 - price went down so i think its a good time to get one

- DC Super Stars 17

- DC Presents 26 - Maybe the ship has sailed but you could find a copy at a good price

- Sandman 1 - DC Vertigo

- Shazam 28

So does this mean you are secretly backing up the truck on TOS 46 and I just blew your cover? If so I apologize, Good Sir.

Nope, just suggesting that boardies tend to keep these things quiet, based on past threads asking for predictions.

It`s funny that you mention Crimson Dynamo, as about a few months ago when all the Vladimir Putin controversy stuff was going down I was trying to figure out what top Marvel and DC Heroes had Russian ties.

I found that these stand out.

There's also -

Hulk258_zps3387e3d5.jpg

Well, with respect to the GA time period, it's really a no-brainer. I believe the trend is your friend and all you have to do is follow what's been super hot for the past few years, and these would be as follows in any and all grades:

1) Early Archie appearances across the board;

2) Early Actions with Superman covers such as Action 13, 10, & 7; and

3) Pre-Robin Detectives with Batman covers such as 'Tec 31, 29, & 35

Definitely not former key and still expensive books such as All-Star 3 which is much more on the cold side of the thermometer as opposed to the warm side.

Well, with respect to the GA time period, it's really a no-brainer. I believe the trend is your friend and all you have to do is follow what's been super hot for the past few years, and these would be as follows in any and all grades:

1) Early Archie appearances across the board;

2) Early Actions with Superman covers such as Action 13, 10, & 7; and

3) Pre-Robin Detectives with Batman covers such as 'Tec 31, 29, & 35

Definitely not former key and still expensive books such as All-Star 3 which is much more on the cold side of the thermometer as opposed to the warm side.

What about PCH? Trend has definitely been strongly upwards for the past few years.

TOS #39, Hulk #1, AF #15...all in mega high grade. If you can afford them. The rich seem to get richer with those books.
Agreed. If you want to INVEST, you need money. If you want to gamble, take your pick.