• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2mil versus 4mil

41 posts in this topic

Are 4mil Mylars really more necessary than 2mil Mylites? What really is the difference in terms of strength and durability? confused-smiley-013.gif

I prefer the 2mil Mylite 2's as they have the "fold over flap" that is missing from the "open top" 4mil Mylars.

Obviously, the 4mil is thicker, but both will last 'forever'. The Mylite2's are slightly cheaper but, IMO, they protect just as well.

Are 4mil Mylars really more necessary than 2mil Mylites? What really is the difference in terms of strength and durability? confused-smiley-013.gif

I prefer the 2mil Mylite 2's as they have the "fold over flap" that is missing from the "open top" 4mil Mylars.

Obviously, the 4mil is thicker, but both will last 'forever'. The Mylite2's are slightly cheaper but, IMO, they protect just as well.

The M2's with halfbacks are fine for most books, and that's how I package all of the books that I sell. But my keepers all get 4-Mil Archives with fullbacks sumo.gif and now, microchamber paper as well.

The M2's with halfbacks are fine for most books, and that's how I package all of the books that I sell. But my keepers all get 4-Mil Archives with fullbacks sumo.gif and now, microchamber paper as well.

Diva, What size mylars do you generally use for modern books? Modern, Regular, or Silver?

Diva, What size mylars do you generally use for modern books? Modern, Regular, or Silver?

Modern? Whazzat? stooges.gif

I use standard size M2's and Silver Size Archives.

Modern? Whazzat? stooges.gif

I use standard size M2's and Silver Size Archives.

That's what I thought wink.gif Really.

Fullbacks all the way! sumo.gif

I still use regular polybags and regular boards for the majority of my collection. The better books get the good stuff. smile.gif

Just keep stocking up on the Mylars whenever you get some free cash - no better investment than protecting your books! sumo.gif

Fullbacks all the way! sumo.gif

I still use regular polybags and regular boards for the majority of my collection. The better books get the good stuff. smile.gif

Just keep stocking up on the Mylars whenever you get some free cash - no better investment than protecting your books! sumo.gif

Oh yeah. Have plenty. Last year bought 200 M2's and 200 FB's. I haven't bought that many "good" books this year. grin.gif

Beyonder, how do you store books like that? I like the toploader but with the few books that I ever had in them, i couldnt fit them in a regular box

The cool thing about top loaders...is that you can stack them. Since the side walls are quite a bit thicker than the comics themselves, they become suspended within....with zero pressure on the comic itself.

At the moment, all my books in top loaders are stacked in piles on my book shelf. cool.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Now, can a book with a couple of backing boards fit inside one of those toploaders? I like to put my good books in a Mylite 2 with a cut down backing board (i had to cut off 1/32" off of some boards I had that were too big) and then place a standard/current board behind that. The cut down board fits perfectly inside the Mylite 2.