• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Birthday SS books

23 posts in this topic

So I decided to try and get a few books signed on my birthday by artists that worked on the books that were cover dated the month/year I was born. After doing a little research I sent books to Detroit, San Jose, and Dallas with different facilitators to get the job done. The first of the books came back this week.

Daredevil 76 signed by Gerry Conway - Thanks to Dan Par2ch :applause:

i-fgPqHXL-X3.jpg

I love this idea so much!!!!! I've stared a birth year/month collection as well but never thought about birthday sigs!! Brilliant!!! And that's a beautiful book, I might ad.

On a related note, my son was born in May of this year (he's fussing as I type this, I should probably feed him) and I've been picking up every book published in May. I've got a special box for them and hope to surprise him with it once he starts his own collection.

If only my dad had done that in August of 1965...

What source are you using to find the list of books from your birthdate? I've been using the advanced search function on the mycomicshop site but I wondered if there was a better source?

What source are you using to find the list of books from your birthdate? I've been using the advanced search function on the mycomicshop site but I wondered if there was a better source?

I used mycomicshop and then about a year ago somebody sent me a link to another site that did something similar but I found a few errors once I started reviewing the covers, so between Mycomicshop, Ebay, Amazon, that other site that the name escapes me, and just a simple Google search I stocked up on a bunch of books. Here's to hoping I still have people I can get next May :thumbsup:

If you have never looked to see what books were released the month you were born, you should try it. It's interesting to see what was going on in comics then. For me it was the ASM 96 without code approval, Savage Tales #1's introduction of the Man-thing, Barry Windsor Smith's Conan #5, Neal Adams on just about everything (I picked one), and a lot more. I've actually had a little luck finding some of the Charlton books from that month as well but trying to track down information on the artists is pretty tough. I thought I had found one Jose Luis Garcia Lopez had done but he doesn't remember working on it :lol:

and now it's time to rave about NYComics.... I sent two books to be signed by Stan Lee, one to be signed by John Romita Sr. as well, but it wasn't a birthday book. This is my birthday book signed by Stan:

Stan%20Lee%20May%201971-X3.jpg

I had hoped to get Ayers before he passed, but he literally passed I believe a week or so before this and I hadn't seen him listed for a show so I decided to go ahead and send it in for Stan. I'm not sure why there isn't any information on the label but this is a Stan Lee story with Ayers art per Marvel http://marvel.wikia.com/Sgt_Fury_and_his_Howling_Commandos_Vol_1_87

Thank you for taking great care of my books and helping me add this to my special collection! :applause:

Mike's Newsstand has all the dates you could need:

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=

You have to be careful with that list he has. I want only covers that have "May" shown on the cover. Kind of reinforces the idea. A lot of what he has as listed as May 1971 is actually a month off. Believe me I went through that list and looked at every book, probably a year or so ago. Between it and mycomicshop.com is how I came up with my books that I've gotten so far. :thumbsup: