• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair trading in this hobby?

27 posts in this topic

Each party needs to agree on the same valuation of the items up for trade - that's hard to do in any hobby, not just this one. I've only had one trade online here and it worked out just fine.

Define "fair"

I look at a trade to me as a seller who is asking me to take the risk, time and cost of selling their book so that they can buy mine. When a seller wants full value they are discounting the risk, time and cost of selling their book. What if it never sells, takes me 6 months to sell it and the person pays by paypal/credit card? Seller to me doesn't care, they got what they wanted when they wanted.

If a person wants to trade I factor in the risk/time/cost. If the person doesn't feel that is fair then sell it yourself and mail me a check.

Define "fair"

I look at a trade to me as a seller who is asking me to take the risk, time and cost of selling their book so that they can buy mine. When a seller wants full value they are discounting the risk, time and cost of selling their book. What if it never sells, takes me 6 months to sell it and the person pays by paypal/credit card? Seller to me doesn't care, they got what they wanted when they wanted.

If a person wants to trade I factor in the risk/time/cost. If the person doesn't feel that is fair then sell it yourself and mail me a check.

Thats not what I am talking about. Trading with dealers is a different game all together( Sorry,think I touched a nerve with you). I am talking about individual trades with other collectors.

If I don't think the trade is fair I'll pass...

+1

I did a great trade with Jsilverjanet. I traded some very nice books for the book I wanted. We both walked away happy. I love my hulk 181 :cool:

Your post stated business of collecting not trading to other "collectors" who I find fewer and fewer of in the "business of collecting". You didn't touch a nerve, I just think most collectors are dealers in disguise selling books to buy books for their "collection". They should qualify their collection as "collection of money"

I have completed quite a few trades, most recently with lonetree. I think if you are trading with collectors, it is easy. It is impossible/tough if you or your trading partner is trading to flip.

Personally, I think it is rare to find and trade with someone who really has no eye on selling in the future which in my mind makes us all "flippers" to a certain extent or at least investors.

I have traded collectibles with all types of people and the smoothest and "fairest" deals are always with those who aren't emotionally invested in their stuff. I have had way too many potential deals with "collectors" die based on the "but I like it more than its valued" or "I paid X for it years ago" mentality.

I just move on.

It is actually very simple to define a "collector". Collectors don't do anything listed below. Collectors don't have business websites, business cards telling me they pay the most.

If you are buying collections, issues you don't collect, surfing ebay, craiglist, hot movie books, spec books to make money to buy books for your "collection" you are a dealer. Just admit you are a dealer with a collection.

It is actually very simple to define a "collector". Collectors don't do anything listed below. Collectors don't have business websites, business cards telling me they pay the most.

If you are buying collections, issues you don't collect, surfing ebay, craiglist, hot movie books, spec books to make money to buy books for your "collection" you are a dealer. Just admit you are a dealer with a collection.

I'll agree with most of that, with the exception of buying collection. I have bought a couple of small collection that had at least 80% of what I needed for my collection. When I sell or trade the rest off I try to give the next collector a good deal like I got( not try and pay for the whole lot). If I am selling or trading with a resaler/dealer I am a little more concerned with current maker value.

This just may be me and has definitely stuck me with too many comics to get rid of.

I'm a dealer with a collection then :) So then how do two dealers (both assuming the same risks) or two collectors trade since both are looking for the same outcome.

I'm so glad I didn't start this thread! Bob I still want my 10% discount! :P

No shows for my. I did art shows for a long time and have no desire to deal with the public in that way anymore.

I have sold a couple of small lots on craigslist and traded with a few small shops but so far that is the extent of my luck at trying to exchange the stuff I don't want for what I do.