• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

centerfold detached @ 1 staple

19 posts in this topic

The highest grade I would give a book with a partially-detached centerfold would be a 4.5 IF the rest of the book was amazing. A 4.0 VG is generally the best grade a one-staple centerfold can give you.

Of course, it's all subjective. :)

The highest grade I would give a book with a partially-detached centerfold would be a 4.5 IF the rest of the book was amazing. A 4.0 VG is generally the best grade a one-staple centerfold can give you.

Of course, it's all subjective. :)

Back up the truck - I'll take all you got . . . :insane:

Anyone ever send in a book like this? What is the highest it will grade? Thanks. -Steve

Check out zzutak's thread that deals with questions like yours (it is stickied near the top of the same subforum where you began this thread);

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4421055&fpart=1

Per zzutak's section on blue label category 2 books, "...a pristine book with a centerfold detached at a single staple will have a Universal Grade as high as 9.2 or 9.4..."

Wow. If you guys (and CGC) are grading books with centerfolds detached at a single staple at a 9.2 ... maybe I'm grading books tougher than I thought. Or more accurately, anyway.

Wow. If you guys (and CGC) are grading books with centerfolds detached at a single staple at a 9.2 ... maybe I'm grading books tougher than I thought. Or more accurately, anyway.

Although I have to ask how many "pristine book" you ever see with a centerfold detached at one staple?

It's all about the cover... no matter what anyone else says.

Even when the cover is detached at one staple, like many of the 70's books that are unread hoard copies, they slap a green label just so they can call it something its not.

I respect everyone here, and I respect CGC, but I disagree with the handling of staple issues. Thats just me. To me a staple pull or centerfold pull is the same thing as a tear to the cover. I would never buy a book like this is those grades listed, qualified or blue ( well being honest, outside of getting it very cheap ). Sticking the book in a different color label just to give it a higher grade is absurd in my mind. If it had dog inside, but the cover was perfect, would they give it a 9.2 and slap a green label on it? I think Green labels should be left for manufacturer errors and unverified sigs... If its a post production defect ( minus a sig) I think it should go in a blue label, with the real grade and a small explanation of why its a 5.0 or what have you " top staple detached from cover" Again, thats just me.

Call me a purist....

The fact of the matter is. The collecting communty as a whole has accepted this kind of grading, so there is not much else to say. Just like some people dislike pressing.... " Oh well". I can accept it and move along.

Even when the cover is detached at one staple, like many of the 70's books that are unread hoard copies, they slap a green label just so they can call it something its not.

I respect everyone here, and I respect CGC, but I disagree with the handling of staple issues. Thats just me. To me a staple pull or centerfold pull is the same thing as a tear to the cover. I would never buy a book like this is those grades listed, qualified or blue ( well being honest, outside of getting it very cheap ). Sticking the book in a different color label just to give it a higher grade is absurd in my mind. If it had dog inside, but the cover was perfect, would they give it a 9.2 and slap a green label on it? I think Green labels should be left for manufacturer errors and unverified sigs... If its a post production defect ( minus a sig) I think it should go in a blue label, with the real grade and a small explanation of why its a 5.0 or what have you " top staple detached from cover" Again, thats just me.

Call me a purist....

The fact of the matter is. The collecting communty as a whole has accepted this kind of grading, so there is not much else to say. Just like some people dislike pressing.... " Oh well". I can accept it and move along.

CGC only does it so that they can convey what a nice book it is besides the popped staple.

Grading a book that looks like a 9.4Q as a lowly 5.0 because of a popped staple doesn't accurately convey how nice the book is. Of course, if you have a book that you know is going grade Qualified and want it in a blue lable you can actually ask them for that and they will provide it.

Personally, I've long held the belief that Q books should get both grades on the label - the Q grade AND the blue grade. (thumbs u

The tear associated with popping the centerfold at one staple can be nothing more than a quarter inch long. Would anybody grade a NM book VG or F just because it had a quarter inch tear on an interior page, I doubt it. To me CGC is being more consistent by treating it like a tear.

The tear associated with popping the centerfold at one staple can be nothing more than a quarter inch long. Would anybody grade a NM book VG or F just because it had a quarter inch tear on an interior page, I doubt it. To me CGC is being more consistent by treating it like a tear.

It is different than a tear though, because it affects the structure of the book. (thumbs u

A tear on an outside edge doesn't.

I say it's a -2 to the grade, until you hit the F area, then it matters much less.

Pretty sure I've seen CGC 7's with a note "Centerfold Detached".

Yes, but of course, that notation means that the CF is detached completely, and damaged. Here, the OP asked about the "centerfold detached @ 1 staple".

Call me a purist....

All good SD, but here, the OP asked about the "centerfold detached @ 1 staple" - nothing about cover issues.

Agreed. As it should be. A tear is a tear is a tear. It's all a question of magnitude and severity. (thumbs u

I say it's a -2 to the grade, until you hit the F area, then it matters much less.

Pretty sure I've seen CGC 7's with a note "Centerfold Detached".

Yes, but of course, that notation means that the CF is detached completely, and damaged. Here, the OP asked about the "centerfold detached @ 1 staple".

Just saying it could still be a seven. Factor that in when thinking about 1 staple.

Personally, I've long held the belief that Q books should get both grades on the label - the Q grade AND the blue grade. (thumbs u

Yeah, I would agree with that. I think the Q label is a good thing, but it should also reflect what the "real" grade is, too.