• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do SA movie-Hype books cool off? Or just stop climbing?

27 posts in this topic

OK, pre-movie-hype there were two SA books I always wanted to add to my collection... ASM Annual #1 and X-Men 4. But since their movie hypes the mid-grade books have doubled in realized prices (Im looking at mid-grade copies that were selling for $2-300 and now realize $5-600).

Based on this relatively recent movie hype trend, have silver age books that enjoyed price boosts come back down after the movie has passed, or have they maintained their hype level prices (and just stopped rising)?

I'm looking at the same thing, though even more so, with TTA #13. I fear that the run up in that book is going to have a permanent psychological effect, and sellers are going to anchor to these hyped prices even if demand for the book does come back to earth. I'm seeing prices 10x what they used to go for in grade. Maybe the best thing to hope for in those situations is an auction, where the price will reflect whatever market price is post-hype.

I don't see x-men 4 cooling off any time soon. Quicksilver had the most popular scene in dofp and will no doubt be back in sequels. Scarlet Witch hasn't even made her mcu debut yet. Most likely sw and qs will appear in more films beyond Avengers 2. From a non-movie perspective doesn't hurt it's a very early x-men issue, characters are well established, and really it's always been a key pre-movie hype, it just got more attention from it.

Depends on the book. I think X-Men #4 was a bit undervalued to begin with(more so for being a single digit X-Men book and 2nd Magneto.) so I don't know if that will drop dramatically. ASM Annual #1 I would expect has a greater likely hood of a larger cool down.

That being said I think some books the characters importance has been altered permanently and I don't think they will plummet it the near future. TOS #39, #52 and #57 are great examples. Books with one and done villains(TOS #97) look out below.

That being said I think some books the characters importance has been altered permanently and I don't think they will plummet it the near future. TOS #39, #52 and #57 are great examples. Books with one and done villains(TOS #97) look out below.

I think you are right. Hero books that get the hype inflation are keeping the new level, villain books are dropping (TOS97, TOS50 are both good examples)... wonder what that means for Iron Man 55. Right now its doing ok (not as well as the Hero examples, but not as bad as the other villain books) but it's definitely lost steam vs the original pop in prices.

While successful, Whiplash and the Mandarin in my opinion were not utilized to their full potential in the movies, while there is a good chance Thanos will be. (I hope!) As long as Thanos is kept relevant in the Marvel universe and is portrayed well in upcoming movies I think Iron Man 55 will continue to do well.

IM 55 is so common, that's why the price growth is somewhat capped. I can get 9.0, 9.2, and even 9.4 all day long. Good luck finding reasonably priced x-men 4, TOS 39, TOS 52 in mid to higher grades. Same for tta 13, but I don't see groot catching on mainstream. Not sure on the census numbers for TOS 57 but it seems to come up for sale more often in higher grades than the others (8.0 +).

I'd put thanos more in line with doom, magneto, Loki, green goblin, and that's why his book is so hot despite being quite plentiful. The other villians mentioned aren't top tier and the demand won't last.

I'd put thanos more in line with doom, magneto, Loki, green goblin, and that's why his book is so hot despite being quite plentiful. The other villians mentioned aren't top tier and the demand won't last.

Im not sure Thanos will. He didnt have the pre-existing interest like the other Villains you mentioned (Doom, Magneto, Loki & GG were already top tier villains)... so unless Thanos becomes an ongoing villain (like Loki and Magneto have been in their movies) I dont think he'll keep up the heat after the Avengers 2 movie.

Also the fact that Thanos isnt being played by Tom Hiddleston or Ian McKellen or Fassbender...I mean Brolin is good and all, but that's gonna be a lot of CGI/FX coving him...

Im not sure Thanos will. He didnt have the pre-existing interest like the other Villains you mentioned (Doom, Magneto, Loki & GG were already top tier villains)... so unless Thanos becomes an ongoing villain (like Loki and Magneto have been in their movies) I dont think he'll keep up the heat after the Avengers 2 movie.

Also the fact that Thanos isnt being played by Tom Hiddleston or Ian McKellen or Fassbender...I mean Brolin is good and all, but that's gonna be a lot of CGI/FX coving him...

I don't know, I think I'm more bullish on IM 55 as well....lots of first appearances in that book beyond just thanos, and he will most likely be appearing in at least a couple of movies. hm

-J.

I don't think that is accurate. The big problem with Thanos compared to the others you mentioned is the decade between their first appearances and the implications that has for supply.

I don't think that is accurate. The big problem with Thanos compared to the others you mentioned is the decade between their first appearances and the implications that has for supply.

My point is, pre-movie hype IM55 was not a top tier key like the first appearances of Loki, Dr Doom, Magneto and Green Goblin.

The other poster said he'd "put [Thanos] in line" with them, and I just dont agree since up until the movie hype the market had not put him on the same tier. Yes part of that's because he appeared a decade later, and there was more available supply of IM55, but part of it is also he just isnt the key foil for any hero like the others.

Pre-movie hype a 9.0 could be had for $200...after they hype it quadrupled.

None of the other villains mentioned experienced such a significant bump... because their books were already well valued as keys.

Heck prior to the movie bump, 9.6s were trading under the $1k mark consistantly

Im not saying Thanos is chopped liver, he's just not the prime cut that Dr Doom/Loki and the like are.

My point is, pre-movie hype IM55 was not a top tier key like the first appearances of Loki, Dr Doom, Magneto and Green Goblin.

The other poster said he'd "put [Thanos] in line" with them, and I just dont agree since up until the movie hype the market had not put him on the same tier. Yes part of that's because he appeared a decade later, and there was more available supply of IM55, but part of it is also he just isnt the key foil for any hero like the others.

Pre-movie hype a 9.0 could be had for $200...after they hype it quadrupled.

None of the other villains mentioned experienced such a significant bump... because their books were already well valued as keys.

Heck prior to the movie bump, 9.6s were trading under the $1k mark consistantly

Im not saying Thanos is chopped liver, he's just not the prime cut that Dr Doom/Loki and the like are.

I'm struggling with trying to compare the demand for 1963-4 books that would be keys (or at least still in demand as early hero appearances) with or without the villains' first appearances to a random mid-run book over a decade younger. I'm not sure apples to oranges would even apply on this case, in terms of supply or demand.

I don't see the hype behind X-Men #4 going away. I think the early X-Men issues, probably 1-9, are undervalued on the whole (the same can be said of the Avengers). It's a key book with first appearances of long time Marvel Universe mainstays.

As far as ASM annual #1 goes, I could see it coming back to the pack a little bit, but not much. All of those 1963-1965 Marvel annuals are a little undervalued in my opinion.

I'm actually not all together sure that the hype behind the book is all movie based. The Sinister Six was a pretty cool idea to pull off. Ditko's pencils are top notch in the book, with the various splash pages being pretty much without peer. Great, classic cover to boot.

Good luck finding copies that work for you. They are both, obviously, really terrific books.

I'm struggling with trying to compare the demand for 1963-4 books that would be keys (or at least still in demand as early hero appearances) with or without the villains' first appearances to a random mid-run book over a decade younger. I'm not sure apples to oranges would even apply on this case, in terms of supply or demand.

I agree with this. Only one possible caveat -- the demands of a younger audience seeking a book more relevant to their childhood.

I agree with this. Only one possible caveat -- the demands of a younger audience seeking a book more relevant to their childhood.

And I don't disagree with you, but in that case the available supply would still be much higher than the 1963-4 books in terms of satisfying that demand. In the case of IM #55 I've never owned the book, even though I want one, because I thought the pre-hype prices were more than I really wanted to pay for a book that (to me) was simply filling a hole in my IM run. While I recognize that Thanos is a major villain in the MU (we could debate how major he is, I wouldn't personally put him in the same league as the Green Goblin, Loki, or Dr. Doom but YMMV), I can't see that book being worth thousands except perhaps in 9.8 depending on the census numbers. I'd personally pay $250-300 for a 9.4 now, as that is what it is worth to me, but I doubt that that will be possible any time soon.

They all retreat, but never to their all time norms. A lot of times the buyers just refuse to take a 50% hit on a book and rather keep it which keeps supply in check with demand. To buy into a movie hyped book is not usually a good idea. You'll see a lot of flipping and prices climbing. ASM 300, IM55, there are a lot of copies out there. When there is movie hype it's time to sell them, not buy them.

TTA27, ST110, BB28, etc who is really making money on these? Dealers, pressers, and flippers. If you don't already own that "hot" book, I would wait until it cools if you really want it.

They all retreat, but never to their all time norms. A lot of times the buyers just refuse to take a 50% hit on a book and rather keep it which keeps supply in check with demand. To buy into a movie hyped book is not usually a good idea. You'll see a lot of flipping and prices climbing. ASM 300, IM55, there are a lot of copies out there. When there is movie hype it's time to sell them, not buy them.

TTA27, ST110, BB28, etc who is really making money on these? Dealers, pressers, and flippers. If you don't already own that "hot" book, I would wait until it cools if you really want it.

I have no problem with important books taking a step/leap forward. You see this with stocks, where one will trade in a range before "breaking through resistance" to settle at a new higher (or lower) level. In that market there is greater liquidity and fundamentals to back up a price drop. In comics we have sentimentality and attachment to anchor to price levels, which makes it easy for books to go up and hard for them to come down.

I'm actually not all together sure that the hype behind the book is all movie based. The Sinister Six was a pretty cool idea to pull off. Ditko's pencils are top notch in the book, with the various splash pages being pretty much without peer. Great, classic cover to boot.

really?

here's a snapshot of GPA for 2013 and 2014 for a 9.0

9uD3b2P.jpg

know what happened between the Nov 2013 sale and the Jan 2014 sale happened?

this trailer came out (on december 5 to be exact)

which featured the hints towards the appearance of the Sinister 6 in the ASM movie franchise,,,

seems like they had a pretty direct relation.

really?

here's a snapshot of GPA for 2013 and 2014 for a 9.0

9uD3b2P.jpg

know what happened between the Nov 2013 sale and the Jan 2014 sale happened?

this trailer came out (on december 5 to be exact)

which featured the hints towards the appearance of the Sinister 6 in the ASM movie franchise,,,

seems like they had a pretty direct relation.

I stand corrected. Although I wasn't discounting the movie bump in an absolute manner. I was simply stating that I wasn't sure that ALL of the hype was based on movie hype/anticipation. It's a great book for what would seem to be many reasons.

Thanks for posting the data.