• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to start a website, know nothing about it. Help!

37 posts in this topic

So I would like to start up a website, and have no experience. What do I need to know , advice, etcetera. Give me some help folks!

My advice would be to pay someone to do it for you. I started building one for myself without being very good with computers and it was just losing me too much time which I could've been spending on my business so I gave up on it. When I get around to my next attempt, I'll just get someone to d it for me.

I started one on Godaddy, mostly just because I needed the URL, my website sucked. One page that displayed a pic with my phone number plastered across it, one "contact me" button with two URL's for email/Facebook inserted. That's it. Then I lost the admin login information. I let the website go this year.

I'm going to assume you want a website for your comics business?

Hire someone to build it for you and make sure they understand how e-commerce works, because they'll need to help set that up for you.

Hire someone to build it for you and make sure they understand how e-commerce works, because they'll need to help set that up for you.

This.

Save up some money, find someone reliable and let them do it.

This.

It mostly depends on what you want out of it - if just a fancier version of a business card, you can probably do that yourself if you wanted to with some pretty simple applications/website builders.

But if you want to actively be selling stuff from the site, get someone who knows what they are doing.

And not just a "computer guy" - I've got a degree in Computer Science but don't know the first thing about building an e-commerce website.

This.

It mostly depends on what you want out of it - if just a fancier version of a business card, you can probably do that yourself if you wanted to with some pretty simple applications/website builders.

But if you want to actively be selling stuff from the site, get someone who knows what they are doing.

And not just a "computer guy" - I've got a degree in Computer Science but don't know the first thing about building an e-commerce website.

I assume the Res is building a website for selling comics so he would definitely need someone with expertise.

So I would like to start up a website, and have no experience. What do I need to know , advice, etcetera. Give me some help folks!

You definately need a partner that knows nothing as well. I'm in. :sumo:

A lot of it depends on what you want it to be.

If you really need something for people that are completely lost, try something like:

squarespace.com

If you are ok doing a bit yourself with out too much learning, get a CMS, a basic theme, use Google to look up problems you have, and use some discount hosting provider.

I would recommend HostGator+WordPress for that route

This.

this sounds good. I want a site that is easy to update and navigate. I am looking for a site so I can list raw books with scans.

This.

this sounds good. I want a site that is easy to update and navigate. I am looking for a site so I can list raw books with scans.
To sell from the site or just to host/show?

My advice is if your willing to devote yourself fulltime into building it, your taking on a lot of labor and expense that may or not pay off within two years. I'm assuming your competing against Ebay with there costs vs sales ratio. If you want to do it part time, I recommend against it.

This.

K.I.S.S.

Why not start with Comic Collectorz web exporting tool. It automatically builds a site based on your collection and lets you list prices, notes, images, etc. It's pretty thorough an a very cheap and easy way to get started. It also meets your "easy to update and maintain" requirement

Edited by sl4ppy

1. Write down all of the things you want your website to do and what it should look like. This has to be more then just "I want a website to sell comics". If it is e-commerce, you need at least the same features that your competitors have.

2. Take a look at different websites that sell comics (or do whatever it is that you want yours to do) and write down the things that you like and the things that you don't. Once you start to narrow down these things it makes it easier to convey to a potential developer what to avoid and what to focus on.

3. If you have a domain already, great. If you don't, find one that is available that is easy to tell someone. If you find yourself having to spell the domain to someone they aren't likely to remember it.

4. Get a budget in mind. Amateur cookie cutter websites are cheap and professional website can be very expensive. Your cost could range from $100s for a plug-in website to $1000s of dollars.

5. Get more than one estimate for the same exact statement of work.

6. Make sure the solution you have enables you to fully administer the website without having to hire a developer to make simple changes. You should be able to fully manage your inventory, pricing, sales, website content, etc without having to expect to pay someone.

It is a big project and will require a lot of your attention over many months from start to finish.

Hope this helps!

My advice is if your willing to devote yourself fulltime into building it, your taking on a lot of labor and expense that may or not pay off within two years. I'm assuming your competing against Ebay with there costs vs sales ratio. If you want to do it part time, I recommend against it.
I do not want to spend the time building, but would update it.

I sell quite a bit on Ebay, but for books that are not key or UHG, it makes more sense financially to start a site. Even though I do good business with Ebay, I would like to have a good avenue for back issues, and also an easier to navigate system then scrolling through items for sale.

This.

You'll need a message board too

;)