• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World and XX Convention

47 posts in this topic

I was looking at the convention schedule for next year and noticed it kind of looks like WW was targeting other conventions with its schedule.

Am I just being paranoid or does anyone else see this? Where they scheduled a show within a month of another major show in the same city or another show in the same region on the same day?

I was looking at the convention schedule for next year and noticed it kind of looks like WW was targeting other conventions with its schedule.

Am I just being paranoid or does anyone else see this? Where they scheduled a show within a month of another major show in the same city or another show in the same region on the same day?

I've heard rumours about shows that were not announced that would add credence to the competition argument.

Wizard now has something like 23 different "Wizard World" conventions in 23 different cities, with more being added on a seemingly daily basis. That's almost 2 per month.

With that many conventions, it would be impossible for them to schedule any of their events further than 2 weeks away from competing conventions.

http://comicsbeat.com/wizard-expands-to-a-minimum-of-22-shows-in-2015/

Most of the new events will be held in the Feb-Mar time frame. The schedule avoids July altogether and stops for November, December.

Many of these shows are in cities with existing shows, and I know of several instances where Wizard tried to originally schedule their new show right against an existing show but backed down after negotiation. And how many of these shows are up against other local events? The mineeapolis con seems to be right up against Spring Con once again.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/04/tensions-resurface-as-wizard-world-arrives-in-minneapolis/

Wizard of course has a bit of a history of conflicts with established local conventions, which have occurred with enough frequency to earn the label of “con wars.” Most famously, the company — or, rather, its predecessor, overseen by Gareb Shamus — in 2010 pitted its newly purchased Big Apple Comic Con against New York Comic Con, and, five years earlier, announced an Atlanta convention for the same 2006 dates as HeroesCon. In the latter instance, Wizard backed down in the face of industry outcry — numerous top-tier creators threw their support behind HeroesCon — and announced it would reschedule its Atlanta show for 2007.

Looks like they have a history

There is no question in my mind that they are watching for promoters to establish a successful convention, and then setting up, effectively squatting on the promoter's goodwill, a convention several weeks earlier.

While this is not illegal, it is . :censored:

I'm glad we don't have a big competing convention here. Its hard enough trying to find someone that's available and wants to travel to our little show here in Arkansas. I couldn't see having to compete with WW.

Wizard's Indianapolis con is three weeks prior to the Indiana comic Con and at the same location.

I'm too lazy to look, but I'm pretty sure that WW's table prices are significantly higher than the ICC.

That's what's eventually going to do them in. Ridiculously high table prices with a significant percentage of people attending who are not there to buy but merely to walk around in costume.

OK... so I looked it up. WW Indianapolis is $1,000 (1 8-foot table). Indiana Comic Con is $425 for 2 6-foot tables.

That's a pretty huge difference.

Luckily in FL, WW has failed at getting a Miami show for the past few years. They seem to be planning an Oct 2015 show in Ft Lauderdale.

Wizard World did a Miami show in 2011.

Yeah. I was more referring to the past two years in which there was a convention planned, ticket links up, guest lists up and then the show doesn't happen. Having been to the MACC for SuperCon two years in a row, I couldn't imagine a WW happening in that same venue and not experience the same crowding issues that has forced SuperCon to expand to the larger Convention center on South Beach.

To the OPs point, they at least are not putting a WW a few weeks prior to and in the same region as SuperCon, MegaCon, TampaCon.

I'm sure they will. They will push their reach out as far as possible until their bubble bursts.

Dealers will really make or break them. I remember a few years ago all the major publishers pulled out from the Chicago show in protest so it does happen.

That was several years ago, the major publishers still don't do their shows, and Wizard has only grown since then. I'm not sure it was a terribly successful protest unless I missed something.