• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World and XX Convention

47 posts in this topic

Wizard are a bunch of grade-A weasels and their shows are terrible. They tried this in Boston a few years ago. I attended the show - a mistake I will never make again - and it was utter garbage, not to mention ridiculously overpriced. I noticed that none of the usual Boston dealers were there, and it turned out the ones that were on hand were pretty much all from outside New England, including multiple dealers from Florida. Presumably because none of the local dealers wanted to be part of Wizard's claim-jumping, strong arm tactics.

Wizard hasn't shown their face around here again after that disaster and I pray they never do. Their magazine was horrible, their shows are horrible and they are horrible people. Wizard is just a festering blight in the world of comics.

Other than that, though, I don't mind them. 2c

There is no question in my mind that they are watching for promoters to establish a successful convention, and then setting up, effectively squatting on the promoter's goodwill, a convention several weeks earlier.

While this is not illegal, it is . :censored:

Sure seems like they did it in San Antonio this year. ACCC was pretty successful last year in its first year, and they had there first WW San Antonio this year a couple months before ACCC.

I guess response hasn't been overwhelming though as it's already off the list.

There is no question in my mind that they are watching for promoters to establish a successful convention, and then setting up, effectively squatting on the promoter's goodwill, a convention several weeks earlier.

Isn't that what they did in Ohio?

I didn't make the WW Minneapolis show because I was out of town, but it didn't sound like it was really the kind of show that is going to compete directly with shows like SpringCon.

I was told that it wasn't very good for vintage comics. None of the local dealers I talked to went because the table fees were so high. It didn't sound like any real big names set up from out of town.

It sounds like it was all celebs and panels and cosplay. That is all fine, but the local show (SpringCon) isn't that kind of show.

SpringCon seemed about the same as it always is. It's $8 to get in and my understanding is that the tables are pretty reasonable for the dealers. It's a much better venue for vintage comic collectors and dealers. I would be interested in hearing any attendance numbers compared to last year though.

Their tactic of putting themselves right before an already established show in the same location is well known. They did it this year in Minneapolis.

Wizard are a bunch of grade-A weasels and their shows are terrible. They tried this in Boston a few years ago. I attended the show - a mistake I will never make again - and it was utter garbage, not to mention ridiculously overpriced. I noticed that none of the usual Boston dealers were there, and it turned out the ones that were on hand were pretty much all from outside New England, including multiple dealers from Florida. Presumably because none of the local dealers wanted to be part of Wizard's claim-jumping, strong arm tactics.

Wizard hasn't shown their face around here again after that disaster and I pray they never do. Their magazine was horrible, their shows are horrible and they are horrible people. Wizard is just a festering blight in the world of comics.

I was at that show. It did blow. That was actually the second WW in Boston. If I remember correctly, the first was 5+ years previous at the Bayside Expo. It also blew.

Just checked who was coming to WWSA this year. Seriously?

Capture_zps49e3752e.png

Should I know these people?

And I'd have to buy a VIP ticket to meet them?

I had no idea who they were so I clicked on their profile. They are "Social Media celebrities" :facepalm:

Just checked who was coming to WWSA this year. Seriously?

Capture_zps49e3752e.png

Should I know these people?

And I'd have to buy a VIP ticket to meet them?

I had no idea who they were so I clicked on their profile. They are "Social Media celebrities" :facepalm:

How far is that below the typical D level celebrities that show up at most conventions?

Technically Sean is now a "social media celebrity" after his Sandman debacle right?

Dealers will really make or break them. I remember a few years ago all the major publishers pulled out from the Chicago show in protest so it does happen.

That was several years ago, the major publishers still don't do their shows, and Wizard has only grown since then. I'm not sure it was a terribly successful protest unless I missed something.

You love them.

Brand-confusion as a business practice.

Dealers will really make or break them. I remember a few years ago all the major publishers pulled out from the Chicago show in protest so it does happen.

That was several years ago, the major publishers still don't do their shows, and Wizard has only grown since then. I'm not sure it was a terribly successful protest unless I missed something.

You love them.

Because I post information on the boards so others who might be interested can read it? Then I guess I love them as much as Hotflips or anyone else who posts information about something. I do love going to comic shows, which many of these are not.

Isn't that what they did in Ohio?

I think they purchased the Mid Ohio Con in that instance

If we all stop thinking of "Wizard shows" as comic book shows, then there is no conflict. Wizard gave up caring about the comic book aspect of their shows long ago.

Wizard Chicago remains a decent comic book show DESPITE Wizard, not because of them.

You love them.

Because I post information on the boards so others who might be interested can read it? Then I guess I love them as much as Hotflips or anyone else who posts information about something. I do love going to comic shows, which many of these are not.

Thing is though, we are doing almost 40 shows a year. We are not only doing Wizard shows. Are we a Wizard Supporter?? Yes. Are we a Reed Supporter?? Yes. Are we a Tampa Bay Comic Con supporter?? Yes (first year :banana: ) Are we a Boston Comic Con supporter?? Yes. Are we a MegaCon supporter?? Yes. Are we a Comic Book show supporter in general?? Absolutely Yes. We want all of them to thrive!!

They market most of their shows as 'comic con.' This is a deliberate key term exploit, similar to 'CGC it!' in an eBay listing.

THIS

I've had to explain this too many times in the past few years.